Starting secondary in UK. Advice please?

IrishinOz

First time writing on this forum. We are thinking of moving back to UK (we left London in late 2010 and spent 2 yrs in Singapore, then the past 5 years in Sydney). Hubby is Aussie and I am Irish. Daughter is 12 in Nov and currently in Year 6. She’ll be going to secondary (year 7) in Jan (if we stay in Oz). Other daughter is 6.

If we leave for the UK in Jan, will my eldest be eligible to go to secondary in UK in Aug/Sept? Would it work like that? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, IrishinOz said:

First time writing on this forum. We are thinking of moving back to UK (we left London in late 2010 and spent 2 yrs in Singapore, then the past 5 years in Sydney). Hubby is Aussie and I am Irish. Daughter is 12 in Nov and currently in Year 6. She’ll be going to secondary (year 7) in Jan (if we stay in Oz). Other daughter is 6.

If we leave for the UK in Jan, will my eldest be eligible to go to secondary in UK in Aug/Sept? Would it work like that? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. 

My youngest was twelve last Oct, and he has just completed year 7, starting year 8 in September. So your oldest would be starting year 7 in September, so you would want to bring her in asap. It would be a bit of a jump, but they can still catch up at that stage. My youngest has just missed three months due to illness, so he has some work to do when he goes back. Yours would probably miss an equivalent, but if you work with her she should pick it up pretty quickly.

The problem you may have is getting a school close to where you live. (Probably easier to fit in the twelve year old to high school than the six years old to infants). Do you know where you are going to end up? If you do you could start contacting the local schools now to see what the situation is.

Edited by newjez

Thanks so much for your response @newjez I absolutely would want to enrol into a school between Jan and August! My question is, what year would she go into? Would she be repeating year 6 in that time? And then start secondary in Aug/Sept? Re location - we’re probably looking at Kent/Surrey but it’s TBC. 

14 minutes ago, IrishinOz said:

Sorry if my question’s not clear ?

is it better for her to start year 7 in Jan 2019 (having missed 4 months or so?) 

Or repeat year 6 for 6 months and go into year 7 in Sept 2019? 

Would love your thoughts. Thanks 

I don't think you have that option. She would go into high school year 7 having missed 4 months.

But I wouldn't see that as being an issue.