Feeling trapped in Perth

anzfo

Just to preface this, I am not literally 'trapped' but that's what it feels like to me.

I'm 19 (going on 20) and have started to think about university. I have lived in Perth since 2014 and always had the desire to go back to the UK but didn't because I felt the need to give Perth a chance and finish my studies at the time. Also I didn't know about the 3 year residency rule for university home fees in the UK and I now feel trapped towards completing university in Perth, I have heard from people that universities here lack many things like having fun and having a social life and being from me being somewhat of an introvert I think I'd find this even more difficult as I already have barely any social life in Perth.

The idea of this has made me extremely homesick and lonely over the past couple of weeks and have even considered the idea of moving back to the UK for 3 years until 2021/22 so I can study there but is definitely a long time. Does anyone have any ideas on what they think I should do?

1 hour ago, anzfo said:

Just to preface this, I am not literally 'trapped' but that's what it feels like to me.

I'm 19 (going on 20) and have started to think about university. I have lived in Perth since 2014 and always had the desire to go back to the UK but didn't because I felt the need to give Perth a chance and finish my studies at the time. Also I didn't know about the 3 year residency rule for university home fees in the UK and I now feel trapped towards completing university in Perth, I have heard from people that universities here lack many things like having fun and having a social life and being from me being somewhat of an introvert I think I'd find this even more difficult as I already have barely any social life in Perth.

The idea of this has made me extremely homesick and lonely over the past couple of weeks and have even considered the idea of moving back to the UK for 3 years until 2021/22 so I can study there but is definitely a long time. Does anyone have any ideas on what they think I should do?

No one can tell you what's best for you but I can give my opinion on the having fun at uni thing. I studied at Curtin University for a year as a year abroad from my UK university and there are a number of different clubs and activities to get involved with. I never felt bored and made lots of good friends both international student and Australians, many of which I am still in touch with 10 years later!

You may consider doing the year abroad the other way around so you get to experience uni in the UK too. Good luck for whatever you decide ?

Edited by SarahL
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, SarahL said:

No one can tell you what's best for you but I can give my opinion on the having fun at uni thing. I studied at Curtin University for a year as a year abroad from my UK university and there are a number of different clubs and activities to get involved with. I never felt bored and made lots of good friends both international student and Australians, many of which I am still in touch with 10 years later!

You may consider doing the year abroad the other way around so you get to experience uni in the UK too. Good luck for whatever you decide ?

Ah that is good to hear as Curtin is the one I'll be going to ? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, anzfo said:

Ah that is good to hear as Curtin is the one I'll be going to ? 

To be honest the social life at uwa was a bit too good as I failed and dropped out of engineering. I went back to Murdoch and got my degree in computer science. Great little uni, lots of clubs and stuff. Stay away from the vets because they are mad. Never studied at Curtin but wish I had. Went to a few parties there and it is very social. Great gym and a well laid out campus.

I haven't been there in over twenty years, but let's face it, it's Perth. How much can it have changed? We are currently looking at units in the UK for my son. There is a huge variety here. Cambridge reminded me a bit of uwa (don't laugh) and Southampton reminded me of Curtin.

Haven't seen anything like Murdoch yet.

What are you studying btw?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, newjez said:

To be honest the social life at uwa was a bit too good as I failed and dropped out of engineering. I went back to Murdoch and got my degree in computer science. Great little uni, lots of clubs and stuff. Stay away from the vets because they are mad. Never studied at Curtin but wish I had. Went to a few parties there and it is very social. Great gym and a well laid out campus.

I haven't been there in over twenty years, but let's face it, it's Perth. How much can it have changed? We are currently looking at units in the UK for my son. There is a huge variety here. Cambridge reminded me a bit of uwa (don't laugh) and Southampton reminded me of Curtin.

Haven't seen anything like Murdoch yet.

What are you studying btw?

Ahh I've never checkout Cambridge or Southampton so can't say much personally ? I haven't officially enrolled in a course just yet but its most likely going to be in the Health Sciences field (social work most likely).

You could take a “gap year” and go and check out the U.K. and then decide whether you want to go to Uni there or in Aus. If you do decide that the U.K. offers more by way of Uni then you might think about topping up your WA yr 12 results with an A level or two while you get your residence up. Alternatively, do a gap year and see how you feel then do your first degree in Aus and aim for a postgrad degree (and scholarship?) at a U.K. Uni. However, if you train in Aus in something like social work, you should be able to walk into a job in UK once trained.

I would imagine the social life thing very much depends on the individual. I guess with so many kids living at home while going to Uni there’s less impetus to get out there and be part of the gang in the down time.  You could opt for Uni over East, you wouldn’t be trapped in Perth then!

• Like 2

From some of the posts that we have read in the past our understanding was that the three year rule had been scrapped now. Every student had to pay the same fees to go to uni these days and there was no special reduced rate for local students as apposed to international students. That may be wrong and we hope it is, as we are moving back and want our kids to go to uni if the choose to, without high costs. If the three years rule has been scrapped then you could go at any time.

7 hours ago, anzfo said:

Do you have your citizenship yet?  Might be worthwhile if you haven't.  My daughter went to UWA and there are lots of activities if you're interested in joining them.  Are you able to support yourself whilst studying abroad?  As Quoll suggested - do a gap year or look at courses that offer an exchange.  The Uni's have links to other Uni's in many countries where you can study for a semester or two.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil & Vikki said:

From some of the posts that we have read in the past our understanding was that the three year rule had been scrapped now. Every student had to pay the same fees to go to uni these days and there was no special reduced rate for local students as apposed to international students.

I think they've just changed the way it's worded.  There used to be two fee levels, one for local and one for international.  Now there's one fee level, but local students get a subsidy. 

So it works out the same - local students pay lower fees.  To apply for the subsidy, you must meet all the criteria below:

• you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
  • you normally live in England
  • you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think they've just changed the way it's worded.  There used to be two fee levels, one for local and one for international.  Now there's one fee level, but local students get a subsidy. 

So it works out the same - local students pay lower fees.  To apply for the subsidy, you must meet all the criteria below:

• you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
  • you normally live in England
  • you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

I thought you also had to pay upfront, if you didn't meet residency, rather than letting it accumulate into a pile that you never need to worry about paying off.

Edited by newjez

9 hours ago, ali said:

Do you have your citizenship yet?  Might be worthwhile if you haven't.  My daughter went to UWA and there are lots of activities if you're interested in joining them.  Are you able to support yourself whilst studying abroad?  As Quoll suggested - do a gap year or look at courses that offer an exchange.  The Uni's have links to other Uni's in many countries where you can study for a semester or two.

No I don't currently have citizenship but I will be getting it if I decide to study in Aus

1 hour ago, anzfo said:

No I don't currently have citizenship but I will be getting it if I decide to study in Aus

I strongly recommend you get it anyway, whether you're planning to study or not.  If you only have PR and you leave Australia, you can lose the right to return, ever.  That would be a huge shame if you have family in Australia.

Even if you think you never want to come back, you have a whole lifetime ahead of you - you can never predict the future so it's wise to be prepared.

Having Australian citizenship doesn't affect your British citizenship in any way.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, anzfo said:

I was thinking more long term of protecting your options and being able to return in the future if you wanted to.

On 24 August 2018 at 07:30, Phil & Vikki said:

From some of the posts that we have read in the past our understanding was that the three year rule had been scrapped now. Every student had to pay the same fees to go to uni these days and there was no special reduced rate for local students as apposed to international students. That may be wrong and we hope it is, as we are moving back and want our kids to go to uni if the choose to, without high costs. If the three years rule has been scrapped then you could go at any time.

A friend of mine returned to the Uk last year otherwise they would've been outside the 3 year residency rule and would've been stumped with international fees as not entitled to home fees or student loans if non resident for 3 years immediately preceeding university entry.  So unless it's changed in the last year, there is still a habitual residency requirement.