Travelling on a 457 visa

kenidelos

Hi,

I've been on a 457 visa for almost 2 years now. I would really like to go back home for 2 or 3 months. Probably would be on holidays for 3 or 4 weeks and the rest working from there for my employer in Australia. My migration agent has told me that leaving the country for more than 4 consecutive weeks could be risky and ignite questions from immigration. Does anyone have any experience in this? Immigration website is quite vague, just says that I can travel in and out of Australia as much as I want and that if I cease work with my employer for more than 90 consecutive days my visa will be cancelled.

I work on the computer and my boss is cool with me being out of the office for a couple of months, as she understands how homesick I am and how important it is for me to be with my family. SO I wouldn't be ceasing employment. 

I have already done this about a year and a half ago. Back then I had no idea I was taking any risk, and when I got back I got asked a lot of questions by immigration at the airport, but they eventually let me through and that was the end of it. 

I am aware though that immigration seems to be getting more and more complicated, and that they might be on the lookout for excuses to get people out.

If anyone has had any similar experiences I would appreciate you sharing :)

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, MaggieMay24 said:

Keep in mind that what may have worked for someone else may not work for you.  If your migration agent says it could be risky and ignite questions, and apparently it did in fact ignite questions when you did it before, perhaps you should take your migration agent's guidance.

Thanks Maggie!
Yeah, absolutely. I wouldn't do it just because someone else did without problems.

I'm just interested to know if anyone has had a similar experience, just to know what's out there..!

On 23/08/2018 at 07:32, Raul Senise said:

Technically it is fine.

However, if you are away for long periods of time and able to do your work from overseas, Immigration can quite rightly question whether a subclass 457 visa is necessary. 

Considering the current Immigration environment, I agree with the advice from your Agent.

Thanks Raul!

Hi Raul,

I have a 60 day notice to find a new employer and I have found one and I am just waiting for my 457 visa transfer nomination approval.  Should I wait for it to get approved before I travel out of the country?

Edited by javin4