ACS assessment suitability criteria - Year deduction from experience

Ketan14

Hi, 

Please help me in this. My total work experience is 5+ yrs and as I am calculating my PR points for Australia , the consultancy is stating that 2 yrs will be deducted from total experience and remaining years will be considered for my pr points calculation.

Regards,

KETAN 

Two years work experience is the minimum deducted to satisfy the skills met date: http://www.acs.org.au/msa/skills-assessment-guidelines-for-applicants.html

Anything beyond that can potentially be used for points depending on how relevant it is to your nominated occupation. 

So, if you finished your degree in 2004 with no prior work experience, your skills met date is likely to be 2006. 

22 minutes ago, jonnyah2006 said:

ACS require work experience in addition to qualifications. This required work experience cannot be used to claim points.

This ^^^

Think of this in a job interview situation. When I am recruiting IT staff for work people straight out of university are not considered as skilled and will usually fill the lower positions until they get some experience under their belt. The first couple of years was deducted from my ACS and when I look back at that time I wasn't skilled.

On 21/08/2018 at 06:27, Ketan14 said:

My concern is even if you done your Major in relevant subject, which is ICT (MCA) in my case and and Qualification is also related to the nominated occupation then why there is 2 years deduction

I wondered about this when I applied, less of an issue to me as I had 15 years experience, but I reasoned to myself that it is about how many years experience you have working at an intermediate to senior level that they are interested in.

So, I work in software engineering and it is very common for people in their first two years to have job titles like "Graduate Developer" or "Junior Programmer" etc, or be treated as such within the organisation irrespective of title. I presume they have just taken the view that you are a "full" professional after you have spent time transferring what you learnt in text books to commercial scenarios. 

It makes sense to demand that your skilled migrants are experienced; why they don't just do their grading differently and increase the number of years required to hit different bands by +2 - no idea - maybe it makes too much sense! or maybe it is done to keep alignment with certain other industries or something.