Buying a Car etc

Davo453

I am certain this must have been covered but for the life of me I can't find it in the archive. So please forgive me for asking.

We land back in Australia (WA to start with) in maybe mid November.

There are many first things on the list of stuff to do and very high on that is buying a car and caravan and insuring them.

We won't actually have a permanent address to begin with but an old mate of mine will let us use his in Perth. 

We have opened a bank account that will need the 100 point id check before we can use it.

As I understand it to register a car you need a mailing/permanent address, will the bank give me a statement immediately with the address on?

We will also need to re register with Medicare and that needs a permanent address too.

Buying a car and insurance can't be that hard after all backpackers do it, don't they?

Any advice?

To answer a couple of those:

Bank account - as we had opened it in the UK as long as we went into the bank within a certain timescale (1 month of landing??) we didn't need 100 points just our passports.

Medicare - we used our temporary (3 week rental) with no problem

Insurance isn't compulsory (third party injury is included in the rego), so in theory you can run without it

1 minute ago, welljock said:

To answer a couple of those:

Bank account - as we had opened it in the UK as long as we went into the bank within a certain timescale (1 month of landing??) we didn't need 100 points just our passports.

Medicare - we used our temporary (3 week rental) with no problem

Insurance isn't compulsory (third party injury is included in the rego), so in theory you can run without it

I'd forgotten about the 3rd party insurance in with the rego thing, guess that's what the backpackers do, our car will have a bit of value though so will try to get full insurance.

I wonder if i can get my mate to draft up a rental agreement...........

4 hours ago, Davo453 said:

There are many first things on the list of stuff to do and very high on that is buying a car and caravan and insuring them.

We won't actually have a permanent address to begin with but an old mate of mine will let us use his in Perth. 

We have opened a bank account that will need the 100 point id check before we can use it.

As I understand it to register a car you need a mailing/permanent address, will the bank give me a statement immediately with the address on?

We will also need to re register with Medicare and that needs a permanent address too.

Buying a car and insurance can't be that hard after all backpackers do it, don't they?

From memory, for Medicare, car registration and insurance, you need to give them an address.  However they don't ask for any proof that you live at that address.