CANT AFFORD TO LIVE HERE

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 00:09, Guest said:

Hi. I really think that there should be a big notice put up for anyone coming out here to Oz -saying- DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU HAVE MILLIONS. Australia has become a two class society. The Rich and the poor. No in between.,.......So incredibly disappointed in Australia. In my youth it had such potential.

I feel for you in your difficulties, however I have to disagree with most of what you have said, not just in this quote.

But I'll only deal with these two statements.

in summary, I'm no millionaire in the UK, but studying my situation here and comparing the same jobs, housing and social elements, Australia is a MUUUUUCH better bet....even in Australia, I am nowhere near being millionaire within the next 3 years unless my income source changes...

even with the expensive rents, I still have more disposable income I Aus than the UK.

granted our life situations are different, but I don't think they are that different that you would put a warning saying "Aus:for millionaires only"

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Toots said:

You had a 3 year ban.  If Australia is so hard to live in, why do you want to come back here?

So I can take your jobs. Just kidding.

If I go to Australia next time, my situation will probably be different, because previously, I was on a student visa without much income. Next time, I'm most likely to have a full time job. 

On 14 September 2018 at 10:33, SWMOY04 said:

I feel for you in your difficulties, however I have to disagree with most of what you have said, not just in this quote.

But I'll only deal with these two statements.

in summary, I'm no millionaire in the UK, but studying my situation here and comparing the same jobs, housing and social elements, Australia is a MUUUUUCH better bet....even in Australia, I am nowhere near being millionaire within the next 3 years unless my income source changes...

even with the expensive rents, I still have more disposable income I Aus than the UK.

granted our life situations are different, but I don't think they are that different that you would put a warning saying "Aus:for millionaires only"

I have to agree with you. My husband and I have been here for a year and have just finished sorting out a proper budget based on actual bills rather than guesstimates. We have now bought a house which is half the size and was twice the price of our old house in North Wales so I agree about the awful housing costs. Apart from that, having totted up our annual bills (plus 10% for inflation) and reached a monthly figure to save, our overheads are almost identical. Ditto the grocery bill. Some things are much more expensive but on the whole our living costs are about the same. Its the housing cost that makes it unafordable - we were lucky enough to be sble to buy.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

I have to agree with you. My husband and I have been here for a year and have just finished sorting out a proper budget based on actual bills rather than guesstimates. We have now bought a house which is half the size and was twice the price of our old house in North Wales so I agree about the awful housing costs. Apart from that, having totted up our annual bills (plus 10% for inflation) and reached a monthly figure to save, our overheads are almost identical. Ditto the grocery bill. Some things are much more expensive but on the whole our living costs are about the same. Its the housing cost that makes it unafordable - we were lucky enough to be sble to buy.

The difference in the cost of houses has to depend on the area you are moving from compared to your new area.

We have a small ex council house in London which compares in both price and rent to Sydney.

A house near us on the Sunshine  Coast has just sold for over $1000,000, a record price locally, to people from Sydney, very large house pool, great position, they think they have a bargain. Equates to just under 600,000 uk pounds.

The cost of a small extended 1930’s semi in my sons area of Bristol is over 600,000pds and to buy anything decent and detached, the price is over 850,000. 

I cant compare average household outgoings as it’s too long since I lived in UK.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ramot said:

The difference in the cost of houses has to depend on the area you are moving from compared to your new area.

very true

a new estate being built.near me has 4 bed detached with ensuite and another 1 and half bathrooms. two living rooms, open plan kitchen/dining area, relatively "large" (by English standards) backyard, 2 car garage

5 minutes drive to interchanges for London-Glasgow/Edinburgh train  or Manchester-Llandudno and a similar distance to the transpenine line.

£285,000

A regular semidetached 3 bed, 1 & half bath, no garage, small backyard house in my area can go as low as £120k

• Like 1

On 19/09/2018 at 12:35, SWMOY04 said:

very true

a new estate being built.near me has 4 bed detached with ensuite and another 1 and half bathrooms. two living rooms, open plan kitchen/dining area, relatively "large" (by English standards) backyard, 2 car garage

5 minutes drive to interchanges for London-Glasgow/Edinburgh train  or Manchester-Llandudno and a similar distance to the transpenine line.

£285,000

A regular semidetached 3 bed, 1 & half bath, no garage, small backyard house in my area can go as low as £120k

If we didn't want to move to Australia I'd be taking two of those houses at the price!! LOL

We're in the Southwest 1hr from Bristol and on the M4 corridor where a 4/5 bed detached new build (ish) 1 ensuite, bath, 2 reception rooms, kitchen/family/dining, utility, garage and a larger than average plot is circa £450-£480k the price differences depending on location happens everywhere! It certainly does pay to do your homework!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2018 at 09:09, Guest said:

Hi. I really think that there should be a big notice put up for anyone coming out here to Oz -saying- DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU HAVE MILLIONS.

Well things were certainly much cheaper in the 1980's and 1990's I agree.....but I think the above is rather an exaggeration.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Read this with interest and couldn't stop myself. Of course the OP is long disappeared but still

It is unfair to work/live in a country for 30 odd years and assume the money made there would be sufficient in another country. That alone is the root cause of the OP's issue. Wages in UK are good to live and retire there. Spending your working years in Australia, getting a mortgage and saving up to then retire works, wait for it, in Australia

The OP assumed after leaving at 21 and returning 30 years later, after getting used to UK, that the benefits would be same the same and pound for pound, they would get similar benefits here. Totally wrong and miscalculated move with very little research before making such a big move

And in general, extremely low wage people will have a tough time in any country, more so if they move countries when they are older and with no wages at all. It is harsh but if you are on a low wage your entire life means you havent moved up or learnt new skills to earn more (whatever the circumstances) and it is likely to not be able to get a low wage job as you get older  

Edited by Kenfrapin