Bulk billing??

SUPERSTARDJ01

If you go to a GP who bulk bills there are no out of pocket expenses when you have an appointment.  If they don't bulk bill, you pay the consultation fee e.g. $70, the receptionist will then swipe your card again for your medicare rebate e.g. $37 (if your account is linked otherwise you make the claim for the rebate) .. so the Dr's appointment will have cost you $33.

There will be different charges e.g. standard 15 min appt $70, 30 min appt $100  the rebate will vary depending on cost.

Not a lot of GPs bulk bill for adults now a days.

If one does bulk bill, you can have a standard appointment,ring up for a time, walk in, show your medicare card,see them, walk out and it costs you nothing. 

If they dont bulk bill you make your appointment, walk in and pay on your way out. Mine charges $65 and Medicare pay me back around $38, so i'm left a few $$ out of pocket.  Sometime when i pay with my bank card my rebate has gone into my account before the charge has even been taken out,lol

Cal x

The only doctor in my village bulk bills....but I would not recommend you choose a doctor solely because he/she bulk bills unless you are really strapped for money.  It is best to choose a doctor that is good and who you trust fully than one who simply bulk bills.
That's difficult if your new to Australia

52 minutes ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:
53 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:
The only doctor in my village bulk bills....but I would not recommend you choose a doctor solely because he/she bulk bills unless you are really strapped for money.  It is best to choose a doctor that is good and who you trust fully than one who simply bulk bills.

True.

2 hours ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:
2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Not really.  You don't have to register with a doctor here, you just go to whichever doctor you choose. If you don't like the first one you visit, you can go somewhere else next time, and so on until you find one you are comfortable with.

• Like 2

Guest The Pom Queen

I will be honest and say the majority of bulk billing doctors are so busy that they tend to have a prescription wrote before you even sit down. I’m currently lucky as my GP was new to the practice and to get him new clients they made it that all his appointments were bulk billed, I’ve stayed with him and he is very good although the majority of my care is now in the hands of hospitals.

What I do find frustrating at most Drs is that if you need a repeat prescription they make you book in to see the Dr first.

Like @Marisawright said you don’t need to stick with one Dr here and can call any Dr up and get an appointment, when you find a good one hold on to them.

Most of the Aussies I know roll their eyes at the British migrant imperative to find a bulk billing doctor. I don’t know one long term Aussie who goes to a bulk billing doctor but we do share recommendations when we get a good one. For most people, the co-pay is what they expect, it’s what the service was designed for and for that they get continuity of care, reliable service without being over serviced. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Quoll said:

Most of the Aussies I know roll their eyes at the British migrant imperative to find a bulk billing doctor. I don’t know one long term Aussie who goes to a bulk billing doctor but we do share recommendations when we get a good one. For most people, the co-pay is what they expect, it’s what the service was designed for and for that they get continuity of care, reliable service without being over serviced. 

Second that. Service and care factor much higher in my local non bulk billed surgery than in the bulk billed place I went to before. 

Although if you are going for something simple where you don’t really need to discuss much then could just go to a bulk billed to save cash. No loyalty here. 

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Second that. Service and care factor much higher in my local non bulk billed surgery than in the bulk billed place I went to before. 

Although if you are going for something simple where you don’t really need to discuss much then could just go to a bulk billed to save cash. No loyalty here. 

Agreed.  If I just need a medical certificate for paid sick leave or need after-hours attention (that doesn't warrant a trip to A&E), I'll go to a bulk billing doctor if I have to.  We're lucky that we have one near us who does appointments versus walk-in and wait your turn.  

On the other hand, the practice I usually attend will bulk bill kids and pensioners, and they can choose to bulk bill other appointments too and forego the extra payment, eg, a quick followup visit to check a dressing or get results that they can't give over the phone. 

Re: repeat prescriptions, it depends on what it's for and how long it is since you've seen them for the relevant issue.  We can ring our GP practice and request a repeat script (I think it's $5 or $10 for their time) and collect it the next day from reception - my husband does this for his migraine meds.  However, some medications need the doctor to see you every time or every so often - sometimes it's required and sometimes it's them covering their backside due to possible side effects/complications, eg, drugs that can increase or decrease blood pressure.

On 25/08/2018 at 03:32, Quoll said:

Most of the Aussies I know roll their eyes at the British migrant imperative to find a bulk billing doctor. I don’t know one long term Aussie who goes to a bulk billing doctor ...

I still use a bulk billing doctor. And whenever I go there, the waiting room seems to be full of other Aussies. 

No problem finding a bulk billing doctor.  Neither wife or I have paid a medical bill for longer than I can rennet and that includes major surgeries for both and more X-rays, CT scans, blood tests etc than I can remember.  Ultrasound tomorrow, all free of course 

• 1 month later...
On 17/08/2018 at 20:35, Gbye grey sky said:

Smart thinking 

3 minutes ago, scubacam said:

So if you’re not entitled to it , how much is a prescription then

There is no set price for a prescription you pay by the item.  some cost $20 some $30 depending on what it is.  Pharmacy's can also differ in price depending which one you go to.  Some will price match though, so if you look up the item in Chemist Warehouse which tends to be the cheapest tell your local pharmacy what you can get it for and the might match it.

• 5 months later...

I realised not a lot of GPs bulk bill but I came across one that was good so i thought i'd share here. Went to see a GP at Star Health and yea initially it was for their bulk billing (because who doesn't want to avoid out of pocket expense?) but the doc was really good and helped me out a lot so yea it was a win win situation

what i'd suggest though is that when it comes to health, it's better to go with someone you trust is capable enough to take care of your needs, rather than which place bulk bills... I was just lucky lol 

If anyone wants to try, this is their place here https://www.starhealth.org.au/

2 hours ago, Penny N said:

I realised not a lot of GPs bulk bill but I came across one that was good so i thought i'd share here. Went to see a GP at Star Health and yea initially it was for their bulk billing (because who doesn't want to avoid out of pocket expense?) but the doc was really good and helped me out a lot so yea it was a win win situation

what i'd suggest though is that when it comes to health, it's better to go with someone you trust is capable enough to take care of your needs, rather than which place bulk bills... I was just lucky lol 

If anyone wants to try, this is their place here https://www.starhealth.org.au/

Only 4 locations, all in Melbourne, and you a brand new poster...wouldn't be touting for business at all, would you.........