Should I take ... my fleece topped mattress, and other interesting questions

justme

Hi All

Bit of a random one but I thought you lot would know. We’re moving over at the end of the year to NSW and starting to think about what we want to ship. Our bed is incredibly comfy but has a fleece topping on it. Stupid question maybe, but am I right in thinking this makes the bed warm as well as comfy? And, if so, presumably I wouldn’t be suitable in a warm climate? 

There are other household items that we’ve been needing to replace for a while but are unsure whether it’d be worthwhile doing so before we leave (if we’re paying for shipping anyway) or waiting until we’re there. I’d love to know if there are any things you’d definitely recommend bringing from the UK and what you’d wait to get in Australia. I saw someone mentioning calpol and bedding in a previous thread for example. 

We’re in the fortunate position of being able to stay with family for the first couple of months so no worries about immediate furniture purchases etc. 

Look forward to your comments  

It gets very cold in winter, you may find your house doesn't have heating (we have reverse cycle air con .. cold in summer/warm in winter).

We brought everything  and slowly replaced them as needed, that way we could shop around and not have to buy on impulse.

• Like 1

If the fleece top makes it warmer you may find it too hot 10 months of the year. Also bear in mind beds are a slightly different size over here with Queen being the most popular for couples.

When we moved lots of stuff was a fair few years old so we got rid of everything and bought again here when we needed it. In the end we just shipped 8 big boxes of kitchen items, clothes, toys, and personal stuff plus hubby's tools. We found this worked well for us.

Cal x

2 hours ago, justme said:

Hi All

Bit of a random one but I thought you lot would know. We’re moving over at the end of the year to NSW and starting to think about what we want to ship. Our bed is incredibly comfy but has a fleece topping on it. Stupid question maybe, but am I right in thinking this makes the bed warm as well as comfy? And, if so, presumably I wouldn’t be suitable in a warm climate? 

There are other household items that we’ve been needing to replace for a while but are unsure whether it’d be worthwhile doing so before we leave (if we’re paying for shipping anyway) or waiting until we’re there. I’d love to know if there are any things you’d definitely recommend bringing from the UK and what you’d wait to get in Australia. I saw someone mentioning calpol and bedding in a previous thread for example. 

We’re in the fortunate position of being able to stay with family for the first couple of months so no worries about immediate furniture purchases etc. 

Look forward to your comments  

We brought our bed, a couple of duvets, mattress cover and electric blanket because we had stayed in a holiday rental here in Winter and been frozen at night. It may not be that cold but many houses arent as well insulated as houses in the UK. We  came to nsw last August and have been so glad we brought the electric blanket! We brought the duvets because they are not  tog rated here.   In general we brought a skeleton house furnishing kit. 1bed, 1table 4 chairs 2 bedsidd cupboards etc ... Left the sofas (on their last legs). Lots of kit hen stuff left behind but I wish now that Id brought more with me. Its nice to have your own things.

Edited by Fisher1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/08/2018 at 11:11, calNgary said:

If the fleece top makes it warmer you may find it too hot 10 months of the year. Also bear in mind beds are a slightly different size over here with Queen being the most popular for couples.

When we moved lots of stuff was a fair few years old so we got rid of everything and bought again here when we needed it. In the end we just shipped 8 big boxes of kitchen items, clothes, toys, and personal stuff plus hubby's tools. We found this worked well for us.

Cal x

Uk King size bed = Australian Queen, UK Super king = Australian King, we bought an Oz king and Queen back to the UK several years ago and we still use them mattresses have been replaced with the UK equivalentent no problem.

Actually both beds are going back to Oz with us in November......

In WA (we lived in Perth and Albany) it got damn cold in the winter, as i understand it so do the southern states in the East, those marvelous looking open plan houses are great in the summer but a bugger to heat in the winter. We used to burn a lot of firewood for heating and still we were cold at times but that's ok just burns more calories...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

If you are already shipping furniture and have the space then bring it with you. We are in Qld and I have electric blankets and 3 blankets on top of my doona (quilt) in winter. As you are going to be in NSW you will find it even cooler. Saying that, our first winter in Melbourne felt like summer in the UK ?

‘The only thing I would contemplate whether to bring or not would be a fridge/freezer, the reason being is that most houses have a built in space for one and the dimensions may not always match that of your own. The number of times we haven’t been able to get the fridge/freezer we want because it won’t fit the gap and it would need a complete kitchen redesign to squeeze it in anywhere else. Saying that I’ve known people still bring them and keep them in the garage or on the patio and use as a bar fridge.