Contributory Parent Visa 47pa (subclass 173) Processing times?

• 2 months later...
On 13/08/2018 at 02:15, melaniecharlton said:

Anyone recently had their 173 visa approved?  How long did you have to wait?

Just about to apply for mum who recently became widowed. Not sure whether to apply offshore on onshore.

Thank you

Melanie

There is a very long wait - I applied on 30th October 2015 and still waiting - have had no contact and probably looking at another 7 months wait before being contacted so the quicker you can apply either way the better - btw you have to be off shore to apply for the 173 or 143

2 hours ago, Marilyn said:

There is a very long wait - I applied on 30th October 2015 and still waiting - have had no contact and probably looking at another 7 months wait before being contacted so the quicker you can apply either way the better - btw you have to be off shore to apply for the 173 or 143

I applied 12th Nov 2015 while I was In  Sydney. But I have to be offshore when granted whenever that will be 😫

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hayles said:

Hi, is this for the assurance of support? Also when did you have your police and medical checks done? 

No. This is for the actual visa. We've got 28 days to pay, but I'm watching the conversion rate every day waiting for a good day to pay it. 🙂 Police and medical were done back in March, but my wife had to have an operation after something the medical people found which has delayed us a few months.

• Like 1

Thanks. We are going through an agent too. We applied March 2016 and have been told it could be another 12 to 18 months before we get a caseworker. As soon as we get a caseworker we will put the house on the market so we can pay for the visa. It’s just the waiting isn’t it !!!

59 minutes ago, Hayles said:

Thanks. We are going through an agent too. We applied March 2016 and have been told it could be another 12 to 18 months before we get a caseworker. As soon as we get a caseworker we will put the house on the market so we can pay for the visa. It’s just the waiting isn’t it !!!

I don't know how long it is before a caseworker gets assigned to it. If it is 12 to 18 months, I don't know what they find to do to stretch it out to 3 years plus before they tell you to pay for it?

I'm not an expert, but I don't think selling your house when you have a caseworker would be a good idea? It would still take about another 18 months before they start telling you about paying for the visa.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hayles said:

Hi, when you are allocated a caseworker, how soon do you have to pay the assurance of support?

Thanks 

You don't pay an AOS on a 173. Only when you are getting the 143 Permanent visa. This is currently $14,000 (currently £7,745) for both parents. 10 for one, and 4 for the other.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2018 at 10:29, freedy50 said:

Not sure when a caseworker was allocated as we've been using an agent all the time, everything has been going through them and they email me whenever they need an answer to something.

Hello

I am looking to speak to someone about the 143/173 visas, who did you use and would you recommend?

Thanks for replies both. 

I am currently waiting for my 309/100 visa to be granted and hope to be in Melbourne by September this year.  We plan to bring my parents over as soon as we can, I am aware that for the 143/173, the sponsor (which will be me) has to be "settled" (typically lived in Aus for 2 years), but does anyone have any information on whether there is any flexibility to this requirement?

2 hours ago, AmyLondon said:

Thanks for replies both. 

I am currently waiting for my 309/100 visa to be granted and hope to be in Melbourne by September this year.  We plan to bring my parents over as soon as we can, I am aware that for the 143/173, the sponsor (which will be me) has to be "settled" (typically lived in Aus for 2 years), but does anyone have any information on whether there is any flexibility to this requirement?

I’ve heard there can sometimes be a little bit of flexibility. Your biggest problem is the wait time for the actual visa. People applying for the 143 now are looking at a wait of at least 6 years so in reality your parents are looking at a wait time in excess of 8 years 

6 hours ago, AmyLondon said:

If your decision to move to Australia relies on your parents being able to join you, I'd be very cautious.

At best, you are looking at an 8 year wait before they can move to Australia with you. There are some ways to get around that - temporary and bridging visas - but they all major limitations and inconvenience for your parents, and if you want to go down that road, you need to research it very thoroughly indeed.  

At worst, by the time you're eligible to apply, Australia may not offer parent visas any more.   The Australian government is currently looking at cutting the number of visa categories.  We don't know what the outcome will be, but parent visas do look vulnerable when you look at what other countries offer.  New Zealand closed its parent visa in 2016 and may or may not reopen it.  The UK doesn't offer them, except to parents who are so frail they can no longer look after themselves).   

Edited by Marisawright

• 6 months later...

I applied for parent visa 173 in September 2015 

in feb 2019 I was asked to submit PCC, Medical checkup etc

Due to unavoidable circumstances In Kashmir PCC was delayed by one month for which I had seeked time

after completion of all documents required in April 

i have not heard any thing from case officer

can any one guid