RRV with 2 years residency

elderberry

If, when you apply for the RRV, you have been in Oz for less than two years, you will probably be issued with a 1 year RRV. After two years, they should issue a 5 year RRV.

Any time spent outside Oz during residency period (for holidays etc.) will not be counted towards the two years.

Turn around time is normally pretty quick. My wife's was issued in a day or two via e-mail when she applied last month.

The rules may change or there may be exceptions, but this has been our experience with RRVs.

Edited by Baby Pom
Grammar

17 hours ago, elderberry said:

Thanks Babypom, yes I will have 2 years residency when I apply. As long as it comes back in 2 weeks I will be ok, thank you

OK, I misunderstood your first post, as it looked like you will have been resident in Oz for 2 years and 2 days when you leave for UK.

So unless you apply a day or two before you leave, it would be counted as less than 2 years.

The 2 years starts when you first settle in Oz, not from when the PR visa was first issued.

36 minutes ago, Baby Pom said:

OK, I misunderstood your first post, as it looked like you will have been resident in Oz for 2 years and 2 days when you leave for UK.

So unless you apply a day or two before you leave, it would be counted as less than 2 years.

The 2 years starts when you first settle in Oz, not from when the PR visa was first issued.

I will apply 2 days before I leave, and I'm away for just over 2 weeks. At the point applying I will have 2 years residency as I've not left the country since I arrived. I was just trying to ask the current turnaround time as their website used to say 2 years residency should automatically be processed and now they've removed that.

6 hours ago, elderberry said:

My understanding you can leave without it being completed so long as visa in place when you return.

Correct - but be aware that if you are offshore without having an in effect visa allowing you to return as a permanent resident you create a break in your PR status that may be an issue for any future citizenship application, particularly if the government gets its way on a 4 year PR requirement. It would be sensible to allow a reasonable time to process your RRV before travelling after you hit 2 years. 

On 12/08/2018 at 04:36, elderberry said:

Hi. I got PR in 2012, so ran out in 2017 for travel facility

Your signature says your visa was granted in 2011, in which case the travel rights would have expired in 2016.  But AFAIK, as long as you've lived in Australia for 2 years during the 5 years prior to applying, you would be eligible for the 5-year RRV.  How quickly it's processed is anyone's guess since processing timeframes aren't guaranteed and they seem to fluctuate wildly from one day to the next.

Yes, I've already had a 1 year rrv. I activated the visa in April 2012, but returned to the UK, then came back for good in 2016.

The 1 year Rrv took about 2 weeks last year. I've not got a perm job atm, so significant ties may be a little bit more difficult to prove. In any case 5 year rrv would be better.

I rang up earlier, they said if my name hasn't changed, same passport and meet the 2 years residency it could be automatically produced.

9 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

One year RRVs are taking three months upwards to process at the moment but hopefully the 5 year one should be within a week. 

Thanks rammygirl, Yes they told me one year RRVs are currently taking 14 weeks as that is the delay in being dealt with by the processing officer. 

Terrible really, I can't imagine everyone has the foresight needed for this if there are urgent needs to go back to the UK (e.g. family emergency)

Edited by elderberry

3 hours ago, elderberry said:

Thanks rammygirl, Yes they told me one year RRVs are currently taking 14 weeks as that is the delay in being dealt with by the processing officer. 

Terrible really, I can't imagine everyone has the foresight needed for this if there are urgent needs to go back to the UK (e.g. family emergency)

Most people who do not have citizenship but have family abroad keep their foreign passports current and keep their visas current alongside. 

12 hours ago, elderberry said:

I know it's not inexpensive, but if I hadn't taken citizenship my plan was to apply for an RRV as soon as the travel rights were expiring on my PR visa so that I would always have the ability to travel even if I didn't have anything planned at that moment.  But taking citizenship was the easier and less expensive option.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Most people who do not have citizenship but have family abroad keep their foreign passports current and keep their visas current alongside. 

Bit difficult to achieve if you are renting, on contract and had to arrive just as your last travel facility expires due to circumstances beyond your control, but I take your point.

19 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Circumstances mean I cannot get an rrv that easily right now. Yes it's not the best, hence popping back very soon after reaching 2 years, and then plan to apply for citizenship 13 months from my return.

10 hours ago, MaggieMay24 said:

I know it's not inexpensive, but if I hadn't taken citizenship my plan was to apply for an RRV as soon as the travel rights were expiring on my PR visa so that I would always have the ability to travel even if I didn't have anything planned at that moment.  But taking citizenship was the easier and less expensive option.

I will also take citizenship as soon as I am able, by my calculation I can apply Dec 2019. Unfortunately I arrived to stay only 4 days before my PR visa expired, so I've not been able to maintain the travel facility. 

Edited by elderberry

1 hour ago, elderberry said:

I will also take citizenship as soon as I am able, by my calculation I can apply Dec 2019. Unfortunately I arrived to stay only 4 days before my PR visa expired, so I've not been able to maintain the travel facility. 

I thought you had to be resident (or at least arrived in Oz on PR) four years prior to applying for citizenship?

If you arrived in November 2016, would you not be eligible until November / December 2020?

32 minutes ago, Baby Pom said:

I thought you had to be resident (or at least arrived in Oz on PR) four years prior to applying for citizenship?

If you arrived in November 2016, would you not be eligible until November / December 2020?

I validated my visa in 2012 on a reccie trip, which was the start of my PR, then left again. You are right, it's four years as a PR with max of 12 months not in australia, which will work out as Dec 2019.