Healthcare worker visa

SuzL92

Hi

I am exploring my options moving to Australia. I am a sonographer/radiographer so I know I need to get my qualifications recognised and apply for accreditation. I am very confused about the visa I need and think I may be navigating the website wrong.

I dont want a perminent residency visa however. I am looking at a temporary thing to begin with, with an option to extend. I am coming with my boyfriend who is a carpet fitter by trade and will most likely need a different visa to me as he has no qualifications. He will be relying on a portfolio and reputation for work.

I cant find the skilled occupations list to see what visa I need. I dont think its a working holiday visa I want if I am a sonographer but my boyfriend may need that one. Could anyone give me any help please? You should also be prepared to answer more questions as I have plenty!!

Thank you

The TSS visa would be the only one that come to mind, but you would need an employer willing to sponsor. Your boyfriend can be included in your application. However, you need to be aware that partners of temporary visa holders can have issues finding employment and that the visa is tied to the job - so lose your job, you lose your visa. I am though assuming you and your boyfriend live together as man and wife? If not, then yes, his only option would be a working holiday visa

Your easiest option would definitely be for both of you to apply for a WHV (working holiday visa).  Applying is easy and it only takes a couple of weeks to come through.

People associate a WHV with working in pubs and cafés, but that's just because most WHV'ers don't want a proper job - they mainly travel, and do odd jobs in between.  You can do any job you like on a WHV, the only limitation is that you can't work for the same employer for more than six months.  There is no option to stay at the end, but you might be able to find a sponsor during your WHV.

Other than that, your only other option would be a TSS visa. That's a temporary visa, for 2 to 4 years. You need to find an employer willing to sponsor you, and the employer will then apply for permission to bring you to Australia.  You should expect them to pay the costs of your relocation as part of the deal.   Just be aware that although there's an "option to extend" at the end, it's far from guaranteed.  If you qualify for a permanent visa now, you'd be better off getting it now because then you'll have more certainty.  It's not nice to be on a temp visa, get happily settled, decide to stay and then get turned down.

The sticking point for a TSS visa might be your boyfriend - if you are living together, you can just include him in your visa as your de facto partner.  If not, then I can't see how he could get a visa.

• Like 1

Hi, I agree a WHV would be the best option.  I have worked in allied health previously (pod), since migrating but am now retraining in a different filed. You need to get your radiography/sonography qualifications assessed by ASAR https://www.asmirt.org/careers-and-employment/overseas-assessments before you can practice in Oz. Not sure how long the process takes. Once here though, you will find plenty or short term locum work. You only have to look at Seek.

• 10 months later...
On 09/08/2018 at 19:07, SuzL92 said:

Hi

I am exploring my options moving to Australia. I am a sonographer/radiographer so I know I need to get my qualifications recognised and apply for accreditation. I am very confused about the visa I need and think I may be navigating the website wrong.

I dont want a perminent residency visa however. I am looking at a temporary thing to begin with, with an option to extend. I am coming with my boyfriend who is a carpet fitter by trade and will most likely need a different visa to me as he has no qualifications. He will be relying on a portfolio and reputation for work.

I cant find the skilled occupations list to see what visa I need. I dont think its a working holiday visa I want if I am a sonographer but my boyfriend may need that one. Could anyone give me any help please? You should also be prepared to answer more questions as I have plenty!!

Thank you

Hi,

Did you manage to sort your TSS visa? I'm a radiographer/mammographer, I've just applied for ASMIRT but I've now heard I might not need this?? Is this correct? I know AHPRA is essential but now not sure about AHPRA. Did you also have to prove to ASMIRT how much clinical experience you had in general before you went into sonography? I went into breast after one year so I'm now worrying ASMIRT won't accept my application.

Thanks,

Laura x