Primary Teaching in Australia

JStrange

I am hoping to move to Victoria, Australia to teach primary. I am about to start my NQT year here in London and would hope to move out for the following academic year. My degree was a 3-year BA (Hons) in Primary Education with QTS, however in order to be eligible to teach in Australia I need to have completed 4-years of study. Does anybody know if there is a way to get my qualification recognised in Australia without having to go back to study for a fourth year? If not, then has anybody else faced this same challenge and can give advice about how they got around it or which course they took? 

1 hour ago, JStrange said:

I am hoping to move to Victoria, Australia to teach primary. I am about to start my NQT year here in London and would hope to move out for the following academic year. My degree was a 3-year BA (Hons) in Primary Education with QTS, however in order to be eligible to teach in Australia I need to have completed 4-years of study. Does anybody know if there is a way to get my qualification recognised in Australia without having to go back to study for a fourth year? If not, then has anybody else faced this same challenge and can give advice about how they got around it or which course they took? 

You will need a 4 year degree. AITSL won't recognise anything else.

See: https://www.aitsl.edu.au/migrate-to-australia/frequently-asked-questions

Be aware that there is a special language requirement in addition to the above.

https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/migrate/visa-nomination-occupation-lists/visa-nomination-occupation-list-for-victoria

Best of luck,

ATN

Edited by Alltogethernow

You are aware that getting work as a primary teacher in Victoria - even if you were able to complete a 4th year is not easy? Especially not in places where people actually want to live. Many young new Aussie graduate teachers don’t get jobs and seek other careers. Which second language are you qualified in?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JStrange said:

You could probably do a PGCE in ECE or do a Diploma or something, which could be done through distance learning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

You are aware that getting work as a primary teacher in Victoria - even if you were able to complete a 4th year is not easy? Especially not in places where people actually want to live. Many young new Aussie graduate teachers don’t get jobs and seek other careers. Which second language are you qualified in?

Yes I have read that it's really difficult. Do you think I would face similar issues finding a job in Sydney? I know that in some professions you can have your skills assessed if you don't hold the qualifications (my boyfriend is doing this in order to get a job in Australia), so didn't know if there was something similar which would demonstrate that I'm equally recognised to teach as somebody with a 4-year degree. I would have full QTS and 1-years experience teaching.

You can’t get anything permanent or long term if you only have a 3 year degree. I know in NSW you can get conditional accreditation to do casual work, but the ‘condition’ is meant to be until you get the fourth year of study. It’s  annoying, but I don’t think there’s a way around it. If you’re looking to go permanently then you’ll have to do another year. 

4 hours ago, JStrange said:

Yes I have read that it's really difficult. Do you think I would face similar issues finding a job in Sydney? I know that in some professions you can have your skills assessed if you don't hold the qualifications (my boyfriend is doing this in order to get a job in Australia), so didn't know if there was something similar which would demonstrate that I'm equally recognised to teach as somebody with a 4-year degree. I would have full QTS and 1-years experience teaching.

No, anywhere in Australia that people actually want to live is going to be tough. The main Eastern states have a sort of points system whereby you may get contracts in really really out of the way places for a few years (Not the migrant image of Australia!) and then you might get some credit for a more desirable area. But you’ve got to get your foot in the door and spend years in Woop Woop before you get to that point and you’re competing with home grown grads with their 4 years and Aussie perspective.

No, you won’t get away with just the 3 years although some states may (apparently) give you provisional registration for CRT with a time frame requiring you to do an acceptable 4th year. A lot of people go for a Masters in Special Ed as their 4th year but be aware that it will have to comply with the requirements for supervised practice as a component. I’m afraid your full QTS and 1 year experience will essentially be irrelevant without your 4th year.

4 hours ago, JStrange said:

A skills assessment for primary teacher will require 4 years of university to pass.