Job Descriptions

Christopher Steptoe

Hi

I'm looking to move over towards September next year, I'm trying to find out what jobs I would need to be looking for??

I currently work as a maintenance manager in social housing, now I know there is not much social housing in Oz ! So I'm wondering what the descriptions of jobs are and what you think would suit me...we are going to be moving to the NSW area...

Kind regards

Chris

Um, NSW isnt an area as such, it's a bloody great state - whereabouts in NSW are you likely to be moving to?  You can apply for any job you think you can do but be prepared for a longish wait before you get one, I wouldn't be pinning my hopes on getting something that was like what you have already,  just look at your skill set and see if there is anyone out there who is looking for what skills you have to offer.  Once you have your visa based on your skills, you are not then obliged to work in the same field.

Edited by Quoll

7 hours ago, Christopher Steptoe said:

I'm looking to move over towards September next year, I'm trying to find out what jobs I would need to be looking for??

I recall you're applying for a partner visa?   

Maintenance is maintenance. I assume you arrange tradesmen to do the work rather than do it yourself.

Council housing here is called Housing Commission and they do exist so those jobs do come up now and then. However you could also manage maintenance for old folks' homes.  There are companies (usually called Facilities Management companies) who provide maintenance services for offices or schools or apartment blocks.

You'd look for jobs with titles like Housing Maintenance Manager, Housing Asset Maintenance Manager, Facilities Maintenance, Facilities Manager, Repairs & Maintenance Supervisor.

18 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I recall you're applying for a partner visa?   

Maintenance is maintenance. I assume you arrange tradesmen to do the work rather than do it yourself.

Council housing here is called Housing Commission and they do exist so those jobs do come up now and then. However you could also manage maintenance for old folks' homes.  There are companies (usually called Facilities Management companies) who provide maintenance services for offices or schools or apartment blocks.

You'd look for jobs with titles like Housing Maintenance Manager, Housing Asset Maintenance Manager, Facilities Maintenance, Facilities Manager, Repairs & Maintenance Supervisor.

Thanks for your reply , this was really helpful..is there any agencies you could recommend that advertise these sorts of jobs , any recommendations would be really appreciated

Many thanks

Chris

3 hours ago, Christopher Steptoe said:

Thanks for your reply , this was really helpful..is there any agencies you could recommend that advertise these sorts of jobs , any recommendations would be really appreciated

Hays.com.au  is the main Facilities Management agency, but a lot of the big companies advertise direct.  Seek.com.au is where most jobs are advertised.

Don't get your hopes up about finding a job before you arrive.  It's likely you'll have to wait until you get here.

54 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Hays.com.au  is the main Facilities Management agency, but a lot of the big companies advertise direct.  Seek.com.au is where most jobs are advertised.

Don't get your hopes up about finding a job before you arrive.  It's likely you'll have to wait until you get here.

Thanks again, and I won't hold my hopes up, it's just good to have the information...

Thanks again