and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Bulya

Driving Around Australia

27 minutes ago, Bulya said:

And yet there’s always the odd Pom who will travel, and discover the real Australia.

http://www.traveller.com.au/driving-sydney-to-melbourne-why-you-should-do-this-australian-road-trip-at-least-once-h131qo

We've done that trip a few times and also via the coastal road.   We've driven from Perth to Sydney as well and explored a few different places along the way too.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

My daughter is driving this at the moment. We have driven as far as Mollymook and explored round there, and will drive further in October but possibly not quite to Melbourne.

We have gone on loads of road trips since we moved to Australia, visited every state, Birdsville twice, flown over Lake Ayre, been to Ayres Rock to name a few, but we have the time as we are retired. 

The distances are so great that if you have limited holidays it isn’t so easy to go far. I wouldn’t take a 10 day road trip as a main holiday with children in tow.

As regards shopping although I do admit to shopping M&S on line, if you move countries it you can’t expect to find the same UK shops.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

On 31/07/2018 at 14:56, ramot said:

My daughter is driving this at the moment. We have driven as far as Mollymook and explored round there, and will drive further in October but possibly not quite to Melbourne.

We have gone on loads of road trips since we moved to Australia, visited every state, Birdsville twice, flown over Lake Ayre, been to Ayres Rock to name a few, but we have the time as we are retired. 

The distances are so great that if you have limited holidays it isn’t so easy to go far. I wouldn’t take a 10 day road trip as a main holiday with children in tow.

As regards shopping although I do admit to shopping M&S on line, if you move countries it you can’t expect to find the same UK shops.

Great - just curious, why Birdsville twice? 

ANN

190 State Nomination (65 + 5 = 70 pts) | Primary Teacher - that's the main applicant, not me, I'm the other half, a Photographer | AITSL Skills Assessment submitted 10 04 '16 | Successful AITSL Skills Assessment 10 06 '16 | 'Recce to Mellie' August 2016 | IELTS result 27 08 '16 (Av. 8.5) | State Nomination Application lodged 31 08 '16 | State Teaching Registration approved 23 12 '16 | State Nomination approved 23 01 '16 | EOI lodged 13 05 '17 | Invitation to apply received 15 05 '17 | Visa application lodged 03 07 '17 | CO allocated, medicals requested 24 07 '17 | Medicals completed 31 08 '17 | OMG! Visa Grant 28 09 '17 - we're Aussie Residents!!! Wahoo! | Arrived from Ireland to Australia (S.E. Melbourne) 30 12 '17....ahhhhh (Update: 2 years on - 2020 - life in OZ is FANTASTIC!)

1 hour ago, Alltogethernow said:

Great - just curious, why Birdsville twice? 

ANN

First time on a road trip with our Probus group, we drove to Charleville and joined up with them from there After we left Birdsville we were on a dirt road, can’t remember where we were heading for? Innamincka? We came across a motorcyclist who had crashed sitting the middle of the road wrapped in a silver blanket. We had a Dr. with us who diagnosed a broken shoulder plus possible broken leg. The men managed to get him onto our mini bus, and radioed ahead to the nearest homestead who alerted the Flying Dr. it took us 1hr 30 to get there,  not much around in the outback! The fantastic Flying Dr flew in as we arrived, he was assessed and flown out. He had originally been with a friend who had also had an accident, he was helped by a Santos helicopter! They had both been raising funds for the Flying Dr before their accidents!!! 

2nd time a road trip from Adelaide, flew over Lake Ayre stayed one night in the Birdsville motel and drove a different route back to Adelaide.

We find the outback fascinating, seen wild flowers after rain, climbed the  Big Red. We really enjoy seeing different parts of Australia.

ps my husband had gone once before on a camping trip with friends. 

Sorry gone off track from shopping, Mods move this if you want to.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ramot said:

First time on a road trip with our Probus group, we drove to Charleville and joined up with them from there After we left Birdsville we were on a dirt road, can’t remember where we were heading for? Innamincka? We came across a motorcyclist who had crashed sitting the middle of the road wrapped in a silver blanket. We had a Dr. with us who diagnosed a broken shoulder plus possible broken leg. The men managed to get him onto our mini bus, and radioed ahead to the nearest homestead who alerted the Flying Dr. it took us 1hr 30 to get there,  not much around in the outback! The fantastic Flying Dr flew in as we arrived, he was assessed and flown out. He had originally been with a friend who had also had an accident, he was helped by a Santos helicopter! They had both been raising funds for the Flying Dr before their accidents!!! 

2nd time a road trip from Adelaide, flew over Lake Ayre stayed one night in the Birdsville motel and drove a different route back to Adelaide.

We find the outback fascinating, seen wild flowers after rain, climbed the  Big Red. We really enjoy seeing different parts of Australia.

ps my husband had gone once before on a camping trip with friends. 

Sorry gone off track from shopping, Mods move this if you want to.

I haven’t even read all the thread or title, I was just engrossed about road trips. I will have a look and see if we can seperate, once I’ve finished reading lol. Please feel free to share photos and more. 

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

24 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I haven’t even read all the thread or title, I was just engrossed about road trips. I will have a look and see if we can seperate, once I’ve finished reading lol. Please feel free to share photos and more. 

I might have to write a book! Hope you are feeling ok today Kate. xM

Kevin kindly sent me a post telling me how to post photos, I wonder if there is an easier way to post from my I phone or I pad?