Life in inland Brisbane

swc132994

We are just wondering what’s like living inland around Brisbane.  The area we are thinking is Jimboomba because of the school.

1.       We know it’s much quieter but how safe it is to live on your land?

2.       Are cockroaches very persistent in rural areas?

3.       How bad are mosquitos in summer in the home. Our worry is that we can’t enjoy sitting outdoor because of the risk of mosquito bites.  

Best regards,

You learn to live with both. There's a surface spray that deals with the cockroaches and mozzie spray or coils/lamps that deal with them outdoors and fly screens prevent mozzies entering the house It's something you barely think about when you've been here a few months.

7 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I lived in Brisbane for a spell and visited many times.  I never saw a cockies when everything is kept clean. They can be managed with  a good cleaning routine.

The flying ones can't be kept out just by cleanliness, they still appear no matter how scrupulous you are. Keep the spray handy. 

I've lived in Jimboomba for 10 plus years now, the area is growing massively with developments in every direction. Everything you could need is on your doorstep. We live on acreage and have minimal ''wild animal 'activity', although a few Roo's have appeared in the garden of late due to their fields slowly disappearing and being replaced with houses. I've never had a cockroach problem, but do keep on top of pest sprays. We enclosed our patio so can sit out any time without mossies affecting us, best move we made.

My children attended the Flagstone schools for primary and high and i cant really fault the schools at all. My friend works at Jimboomba school and that too seems a decent school. Emmaus is popular for those wanting private schooling as is Hills College.

Its a great family area, friendly locals, not too far to Gold Coast and not too far to the city, hence we never felt the need to move on.

Cal x

• Like 1

I just wanted to add , some areas of Jimboomba do flood, luckily most are roads without houses in and out of the area (so we can become an island for a few days) or with houses backing onto the river, so just be careful when property searching. Let me know if you pinpoint anywhere and i can tell you if its safe or not. 90 % of homes are ok

Also - I just found a pic of our enclosed patio that i took years ago -

patio.jpg

• Like 3

This is one of the roads that flooded early last year (first time since we have moved here this one had flooded)

Locals put their boats in to help people who needed to get across (my son is driving our tinny in the pic), we ended up there until dark helping the ambulance get someone across who had broken their arm and needed hospital. The Jimboomba community is great when people need helping in any way, shape or form.

The second picture is the road a few days later once the water had gone down. 

flood.jpg

floodd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1