Where to start

Richo28

Ok bare with me .

My wife and I want to move to Oz.

We have a 10 year old boy also.

I have family in Australia who have said they will sponsor us (uncle/aunt).

before I start our application I’d just thought I’d ask what some of you guys did and how you had approached your move over?

Family can't just sponsor you. It doesn't work like that. All family sponsorship does is give some extra points. You still need an occupation on the skilled occupations list, the relevant qualification for that occupation and the required experience for that occupation. You then still need to achieve the other aspects such as points, health and character 

Yes we understand that I was really just asking where Others  started and what they found hard ,easy .

we know we will have to jump through hoops to get there and am prepared to do so .

we was recommended to post on here because of the first hand experience from people who have and are going through the process    

17 minutes ago, Richo28 said:

As for which visa we are only just getting to grips reading up on them all at the moment

In that case, concentrate on that first. 

The Australian federal government and the individual states put out lists of occupations that they'll accept.  To apply, either you or your wife must be qualified and experienced in an occupation that's on one of those lists. If not, you can't move to Australia, end of story.   

Even if you are in one of those occupations, you still need to score a certain number of points - and that's a hurdle a lot of people don't understand. It's not a case of, "If I can score enough points, I'm sure to get in".  They take the people with the most points. So say, for instance, you only had 65 points and lots of other people were applying with 75 points - you'd never make it, because they'd keep on taking the 75-pointers instead.

It's a sad fact that the great majority of people who would like to migrate, can't, so I strongly recommend you get an accurate idea of your own chances before you start getting excited about the idea of moving.

As for the process - it's slow, and you can't sell your house or pack up or do anything while you're waiting to hear, because you might not be successful. The move will be expensive. It's not just air fares and visa.  You'll have to ship all your belongings over, or throw/give away all your stuff and replace it all when you get to Australia.  Just imagine how much it would cost to set up home all over again!  On top of that, you need to budget for six months out of work when you arrive in Australia, because unemployment here is no better than it is in the UK.  Many years ago, Australia was a land of opportunity and you could pick up a job the minute you stepped off the plane, but it's much the same as any other country now.

It's a stressful and expensive exercise and only you can decide if it's worth the price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

In that case, concentrate on that first. 

The Australian federal government and the individual states put out lists of occupations that they'll accept.  To apply, either you or your wife must be qualified and experienced in an occupation that's on one of those lists. If not, you can't move to Australia, end of story.   

Even if you are in one of those occupations, you still need to score a certain number of points - and that's a hurdle a lot of people don't understand. It's not a case of, "If I can score enough points, I'm sure to get in".  They take the people with the most points. So say, for instance, you only had 65 points and lots of other people were applying with 75 points - you'd never make it, because they'd keep on taking the 75-pointers instead.

It's a sad fact that the great majority of people who would like to migrate, can't, so I strongly recommend you get an accurate idea of your own chances before you start getting excited about the idea of moving.

As for the process - it's slow, and you can't sell your house or pack up or do anything while you're waiting to hear, because you might not be successful. The move will be expensive. It's not just air fares and visa.  You'll have to ship all your belongings over, or throw/give away all your stuff and replace it all when you get to Australia.  Just imagine how much it would cost to set up home all over again!  On top of that, you need to budget for six months out of work when you arrive in Australia, because unemployment here is no better than it is in the UK.  Many years ago, Australia was a land of opportunity and you could pick up a job the minute you stepped off the plane, but it's much the same as any other country now.

It's a stressful and expensive exercise and only you can decide if it's worth the price.

We came out in 92 and it was the middle of a recession here so it's not true to say many years ago you could pick up a job easily. I've never known it to be as easy as that and it still depends what you do.

I was out of work 5 months in 92. My wife is a nurse and had a job in 2 weeks.

Aus is like the UK in knowing people can get you a job or interview. Obviously takes a while to get to know people so it helps if you get out and about and talk to people. Might be surprised what chatting can achieve where email and online job searches can't.

Things are picking up again in WA and I reckon there's another growth period on the way. A lot of people who came for the last one have stopped flying over from the East Coast or gone back home to wherever. There's going to be a shortage of labour again soon.

• Like 1

Funny you say about talking to people as someone told us that last week and she’s been there 8 years now.

Where my family live is starting to pick up as we was there last year and have just come back yesterday and there far more building going on plus the major money coming in to the port has doubled 

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Richo28 welcome to the forum. Personally I would recommend a registered Migration Agent, we can recommend some excellent ones on here if you wish. First have a look at the gov website visa finder, don’t take it all for fact, but it will give you an idea of your next step https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1 once you know what visa you are looking for then let us know and we can hopefully guide you

Yes thanks for link.

ive now had a good look at some things and we realise that an agent may well be what we are going to need now .

my trade is listed and I’m doing some extra training this week in order to make our application much stronger .

This is our dream to live in the big country we have done a far bit of research this last 3 weeks while we was over there .

thankyou  for the advice ???