Citizenship after 12 months ?

spangley

Hi All,

I'd be grateful is anyone can clarify my entitlement to citizenship.  I believe the rules were changed a few years ago, so some expats I talk to offer conflicting advice.

• We received our 189 PR visa in March 2014. 
  • We activated the visa by visiting Melbourne in June 2014
  • We moved to Australia in Dec 2017

When can we start applying for citizenship?  After physically being in Australia for 12 months or, after 4 years?

A straightforward, friendly, helpful reply will be most welcome  ?

James

The current rules are that you have to have lived in Australia for four years including one year on a PR visa. You are allowed one year's absence in those four years. The rules are supposedly changing to make four years of PR a requirement but that shouldn't affect you.

In your situation you can apply for citizenship in December 2020.

On that date:

1. You would have held a visa continuously for the four preceding years and 

2. You would have lived in Australia for three years (one year's absence is allowed so three years actual residence is OK as you held a visa during the first year) and

3. You would have held a PR visa for more than one year.

If you leave the country for any length of time between now and December 2020 you will need to add the time away to December 2020 to get the qualification date.

• Like 2

My situation is similar to yours. I also activated my visa years before arriving. My understanding is that you have to be a PR for 4 years to apply for citizenship. That PR begins when you validate your visa. Therefore, you'd be able to apply 3 years after arrival - Nov 2019 for me, Dec 2020 for you, adding on any time you go on holiday outside of Australia during that period - so for example if you are away for 2 * 2 weeks from Nov 2017, you need to add 4 weeks to when you can apply.

Edited by elderberry
correct information

3 hours ago, spangley said:

Thanks for your detailed response Nicky.

When you say leaving the country "for any length of time" does that include holidays abroad, such as a month in Europe?

Best regards

James

Yes. It does. Any amount of time you've been out of the country - whether it's a weekend in NZ or 6 months in the UK - between the day you arrived here to live and the day you apply for citizenship needs to be taken into account.

• Like 2