Age is only a number.......or is it ?

Madwife

Hi guys

Just after any info from anyone who has experienced anything similar to us 

I am a midwife in the UK and my husband is a flooring contractor.  Our son has been in NSW for 5 years, is married to an Australian girl and has 2 small children. He is now also an Australian citizen. 

We are only just starting to look into if Australia could be a possibility for us.  From what we have looked at so far our seems to be the fact that I am 52 and my hubby is 51

would just like to know if anyone has any similar experience  re: visas, working, healthcare

TIA  M

As a midwife have you thought about applying to new Zealand I'm sure there skilled worker age is much older. I am also a 50 plus midwife moving back to oz next year. Once have residency in new Zealand I think you can freely live in Australia.  

Not exactly more to it than that.  If you want to live, work and retire in Aus you should aim for Australian PR. NZ Citizens May work in Oz but are not PR and can not be Aus citizens without it..  NZ residents do not have the same rights.  Also things change, safest is to get PR then citizenship for a permanent move.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Not exactly more to it than that.  If you want to live, work and retire in Aus you should aim for Australian PR. NZ Citizens May work in Oz but are not PR and can not be Aus citizens without it..  NZ residents do not have the same rights.  Also things change, safest is to get PR then citizenship for a permanent move.

On the plus side, if they can get PR in New Zealand then at least they will be just "across the ditch" from their family instead of halfway round the world.

Bugga! My number came up...Er, well, it appears to be the highest, so far....

On 05/08/2018 at 00:14, rammygirl said:

My better half does not have Australian citizenship, but is a permanent resident (over 50 years) and has the same rights...She is a New Zealander...

Cheers, Bobj.

2 hours ago, Bobj said:

Bugga! My number came up...Er, well, it appears to be the highest, so far....

My better half does not have Australian citizenship, but is a permanent resident (over 50 years) and has the same rights...She is a New Zealander...

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes as a NZ citizen. Poster was inferring NZ pR had right to work and live in Aus, they don’t. 

On 04/08/2018 at 22:23, tab said:

As a midwife have you thought about applying to new Zealand I'm sure there skilled worker age is much older. I am also a 50 plus midwife moving back to oz next year. Once have residency in new Zealand I think you can freely live in Australia.  

It was this post Bobj. 

With Aus PR you can work in NZ, but not the other way round. Takes 6 years I think to get NZ citizenship, which you need to work in Aus.

I think they allowed NZ citizens who had been in Oz for a number of years to gain Aus citizenship. Now, they have to meet the same rules as everyone else and have AUS PR before applying.

Getting into Aus via NZ as an over 50 is going to be a long term plan, and you may never get Aus PR from it. 

• Thanks 1