Gas fitter in Sydney Requires help

reevo39

Hi guys, hope someone can help..I was granted a skilled migrant PR visa subclass in gas fitting in August 2017...part of the visa application I had to have my skills assessed for migration purposes to Trades Recognition Australia, I had to send copies of all my certs, employment evidence such as contract payslips etc...I was granted a successful skills assessment and subsequently able to apply for the skilled visa....this was granted, without the need for a practical skills assessment In the uk...my dilemma is that I cannot obtain a gas fitting licence in nsw without a offshore techinal skills record (practical assessment pass) will Any one please help and advise me what or who I need to speak to....I've tried contacting fair trading nsw and TRA who both pass me back to one another...please help someone...Thanks

It is the licensing body for NSW you need to contact. Your skills assessment and things are irrelevant. Every state is different, but generally you will need to do some courses at TAFE (yes, these can be expensive) and then work as a trade assistant - a bit like an apprentice for about a year. But contact the licensing authority 

Hi verystormy, new fairtrading is the licencing body, they have told me I need equlivavent certificate in Australia e.g. I have NVQ level 3 and not the Australian equalivant cert...can I work for another company, under their licence even tho i do not have a tradesman licence or certificate (which I can't get due to not having the offshore skills record)...can't believe I've been granted a skilled migrant PR visa and I can't work in my profession

1 hour ago, reevo39 said:

.can't believe I've been granted a skilled migrant PR visa and I can't work in my profession

Actually, that's normal.  Most  tradesmen have to serve an apprenticeship or do further study after arriving in Australia, it's the way it works.  

When you apply to Immigration, all you're doing is satisfying their requirements for immigration purposes.  It has nothing to do with whether your qualifications are recognised by the licensing authorities once you arrive. It's a great pity Immigration doesn't explain that to people.   

• Like 1

Actually, that's normal.  Most  tradesmen have to serve an apprenticeship or do further study after arriving in Australia, it's the way it works.  
When you apply to Immigration, all you're doing is satisfying their requirements for immigration purposes.  It has nothing to do with whether your qualifications are recognised by the licensing authorities once you arrive. It's a great pity Immigration doesn't explain that to people.   
Thanks for that, I had a phone call this afternoon from the master plumbers association, I apparently can use RPL pathway and obtain a cert iii in gas fitting, I would require some elective training and assessments but looks like I should be ok, after reading up on the Australian Standards and getting some experience under my belt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Indeed it is.

2 hours ago, reevo39 said:

Thanks for that, I had a phone call this afternoon from the master plumbers association, I apparently can use RPL pathway and obtain a cert iii in gas fitting, I would require some elective training and assessments but looks like I should be ok, after reading up on the Australian Standards and getting some experience under my belt

if its anything like getting an electrical license id plan for a year of not being a licensed plumber

if its anything like getting an electrical license id plan for a year of not being a licensed plumber
Yea looks that way, it's a nightmare, why ask for skilled migrants then make it almost impossible for them to work when they get here...surely recognition of skills via certificates, references, employment statements should be suffice...I appreciate the regs are different but you should still be given a provisional and attend training for regs etc