UK Provisional Licence

JoshWW

I have held my UK provisional licence for 3 years and i was wondering do those years carry over to a learners licence in Australia, I would understand that i would need to complete the 100 hours required by the Queensland Government. I have tens of hours of driving but due to circumstances never got around to completing my full test, would doing a UK theory test be beneficial for Australian laws.   

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Josh

We live in NSW so my daughter's experience with her UK provisional licence may not apply to QLD.

When we arrived in Oz early 2014, the NSW Roads Maritime and Transport (RMT) agency advised her that as holder of a valid UK provisional licence she needed to do the Australian Theory Test (which she did and passed).  She wold then have one opportunity to take and pass the Australian (car) driving test WITHOUT having to log x number of learner hours etc.

If she failed this one off opportunity, she would need to go through the current NSW learner process (logging hours etc) to obtain a NSW full driving licence.

My daughter hasn't actually taken the driving test and I'm not sure if the above still stands in NSW.

However, I think it's worth checking with the relevant responsible QLD agency  - I found NSW RMT very helpful when I popped in to one of their centres.

Good luck!

Andrew 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, s713 said:

With a bit of luck you might get a dope in the office like we did. My Mrs only had a UK provisional yet the WA driving board gave her a full class license, including HGV etc.

Yeah it sure would be nice, I've got plenty of experience on the roads since i drive almost daily with my parents its become natural to me however, I have just never got around to doing my practical test and now moving back to QLD in 8 weeks I just wanted some information on how to approach such a subject. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s713 said:

With a bit of luck you might get a dope in the office like we did. My Mrs only had a UK provisional yet the WA driving board gave her a full class license, including HGV etc.

Wow , they must've been a numpty, even those with UK HGV cant get a straight swap over here like with a car.

Cal x