shipping tools!

kym0369

my husband will be working practically right up till we move and we are really needing to get his tools over to Australia as quick as we can after that. all of the freight companies are looking for weight of the boxes but I've no idea how we can weigh them

ive been trying to find a company that can come out the the house, weigh and pack the tools for moving. we are based in Scotland and moving to perth.

what's the best way to send them? pay the extra to fly them or ship them? 

We sent hubby's in a shared container when we moved. He got rid of his big tool box, put all the tools he could through a hot engine wash and packed them into smaller plastic tool boxes. The shippers just asked us to make sure the boxes could be lifted by 2 men and the key for the tool box locks was taped to the top. Just make sure they are as clean as can be ,if it wont come clean, dont bring it. We had no issues with customs at all.

Cal x

• Like 1

hi all

we have managed to get a really reasonable quote which we have agreed to from anglo Pacific. their advice was to clean, sort and break down into smaller boxes and as long as they r able to b lifted it will go on box size rather than weight. we have opted to ship them over which will take longer but hubbys work are supplying him with some tools to work till his stuff arrives. now the fun part to start cleaning them! 

• Like 1

When I shipped my tools along with the household goods I diligently packed them into reasonable sized boxes all weighing around 20kg, each box was labelled with the contents and a photo taken of the contents of each box. Removable men came and put them into bigger boxes and mixed them all up and then said the boxes are heavy. Great, so when the boxes arrived instead of just undoing the boxes for the tools I needed at the time I had to go through all the boxes to find what I wanted. All the tools were clean, some over 50 years old so look well used and not sparkly clean but had no problems with quarantine etc. not sure if they even looked at them as I was told they only check about 10% of the contents of the container. Although there are some quality tools here in the shops like everywhere a lot are made to a price and what I call use once and throw away tools, so if you have good quality tools bring them.