Hello, 

My boyfriend and I are looking into moving in the next few years, we are going over to visit first but need to decide where to look based on where we would like to live. I think the options seem to be Perth or Brisbane/Sunshine Coast - I was just wondering if anyone could advise which one would have better job prospects for both of our careers?

My partner is a joiner, and I am a finance analyst (although I am not degree qualified)....so complete opposite work so we need a place that has opportunities for both!

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Hello, 

My boyfriend and I are looking into moving in the next few years, we are going over to visit first but need to decide where to look based on where we would like to live. I think the options seem to be Perth or Brisbane/Sunshine Coast - I was just wondering if anyone could advise which one would have better job prospects for both of our careers?

My partner is a joiner, and I am a finance analyst (although I am not degree qualified)....so complete opposite work so we need a place that has opportunities for both!

Any help would be great!

Thanks

You might want to check first to see if you can get a visa. Without a visa worrying about where you might live is rather putting the cart before the horse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

You might want to check first to see if you can get a visa. Without a visa worrying about where you might live is rather putting the cart before the horse

Thanks for your reply! Obviously we're not stupid - we do have some confidence that we would get a visa of some sort, most likely 189 or 190 (which I know then dictates where we could go).

But this is mainly about us visiting first - we really want to go and look at places we COULD live if we did manage to get a visa. No point going and wasting time in say Melbourne and then we decide to move to Perth and know nothing about the area. I don't think it's an unfair question to ask.

I'd rather go and visit Australia first and see if I like it and the potential areas we'd be living in before I start spending money on visa's etc.

Just go and do a trip and see what floats your boat, then. There’s nowhere that’s going to be guaranteed as a career number 1, but you could check Seek to see where most vacancies are for your occupations and see if you like the general vicinity.

If you are young enough to get a WHV (working holiday visa), take a career break and use that to come to Australia for a full year.  There's a bit of a myth that on a WHV, you just bum around and work in restaurants and bars - but I've employed many WHV holders in corporate jobs, and your boyfriend would get work on building sites too.  The only limitation is that you can only work for each employer for six months.  

Then you'll have a whole year and you could plan to spend several months in each of your possible destinations, to get a clear idea which would work for you.

Your boyfriend would get work anywhere.  For the best career prospects, you need to be in a capital city, so the Sunshine Coast would not be a good choice.  

If we had some idea of your drivers for moving to Australia, perhaps we could be more helpful.  For instance, if you want tropical islands you wouldn't move to Sydney, and you wouldn't move to Perth if you planned to travel around the Eastern States a lot.  If you're looking for a more laidback lifestyle you wouldn't move to Melbourne or Sydney, but if you're aiming high in your career those are the only two places you'd consider, and so on.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Perth would certainly be OK. Joiners are always in demand if they are good. I guees getting work as a financial analyst with no quals might be a bit harder but I've no experience in that field. Might be an opportunity to sign up for a couple of relevant Aus courses in financial management. Doesn't have to be a degree.