Medicare Interim Card

Mustung

Hi Folks,

I visited Centre link to apply for Interim Medicare Card. Lady told, Medicare issues Interim Card to applicants having Active Bridging Visa. I am on 457 and applied for 186 DE Stream, got Bridging Visa acknowledgement instantly with Status in Active. I thought whoever have applied for PR is eligible to apply medicare card.. Any thoughts

Hey, I am currently on a 457 and I have applied for 186 DE in January, so our cases are very similar.

I just got the interim medicare card 2 weeks ago, I had a reciprocal medicare that expired at the end of june, so I didn't really need to do it before than.

So it is possible to get the interim card, which lasts 1 year from the day of lodgement, and can be renewed if the visa hasn't been processed yet, I'm not sure why they didn't let you. I think there's 3 possible explanations

1 - Are you from a country that has a reciprocal deal with Australia? check them here, maybe you need to be in order to get the interim? 

2 - the person you talked to had no idea what she was doing ? I did mine at centrelink in Crown St

3 - The person I talked to had no idea what she was doing and shouldn't have let me and my partner get it ? ? ?

18 hours ago, Mustung said:
Hi Folks,

I visited Centre link to apply for Interim Medicare Card. Lady told, Medicare issues Interim Card to applicants having Active Bridging Visa. I am on 457 and applied for 186 DE Stream, got Bridging Visa acknowledgement instantly with Status in Active. I thought whoever have applied for PR is eligible to apply medicare card.. Any thoughts

Just applying for PR does not entitle you to Medicare. Many people who apply for PR do not even live in Australia, why should they get Medicare?

18 hours ago, Mustung said:
Hi Folks,

Hi @Mustung, did you go to Medicare office or Centrelink? Did you show your bridging visa acknowledgment letter?

We used to hold 457 also and when we applied sponsored visa 186, we went to Medicare office and apply it there and got our interim card after a few days.  

If you hold a 457 and apply for a PR visa while in Australia (so you've been granted a bridging visa), you are immediately eligible for Medicare.  You may need to speak with a supervisor at the Medicare office.  I'd suggest you take a copy of your acknowledgement letter, your bridging visa (regardless of the fact that it's not in effect yet), and perhaps a printout from the Medicare website:  https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/who-can-get-medicare-card/39456#a4.   To quote the Medicare website...."You’re eligible for Medicare from the date you applied for permanent residency"

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/07/2018 at 15:39, Mustung said:
Hi Folks,

In your situation, you are entitled to Medicare.

The Medicare offices are nutritious for not understanding the rules. Try again at a different office or staff member and you will eventually get someone who has more knowledge of the situation.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, babysleep said:

I have submitted the 186 nomination & visa application. Can I apply medicare even the nomination is not approved yet? (I have bridging visa confirmation but not yet active)

As soon as you lodge your 186 application onshore, you're eligible to apply for Medicare.  I think you also need to currently hold a visa that grants you work rights so a 457 would fall into that category.

2 hours ago, MaggieMay24 said:

As soon as you lodge your 186 application onshore, you're eligible to apply for Medicare.  I think you also need to currently hold a visa that grants you work rights so a 457 would fall into that category.

Thank you for telling me!