Mining Job Vacancies Urgent

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

FIVE years after Australia celebrated its biggest mining boom in history, the limping industry is picking up again — but this time around it seems like Aussies aren’t planning on picking up the slack or the giant pay checks.
From 2012 to 2016, the mining industry experienced a severe downturn, culling close to 60,000 jobs and making full-time work an almost impossible get.
But now, especially in Western Australia and Queensland, the mining industry is on the road to recovery — and companies are begging Aussies to come and work for them.
According to the latest data from SEEK, the mining, resource and energy sector has consistently recorded the largest growth in job ads for the past 11 months.
The sector is throwing out 32 per cent more job ads now than it was at the same time last year and is posting almost four times more job ads than Australia’s average.
But just because mining companies are putting out thousands of ads and offering salaries paying well over $150,000 doesn’t mean Aussies are picking them up.
Earlier this week, the CEO of WA’s Chamber of Minerals and Energy backed a migration agreement that would hopefully combat a severe skills shortage in the mining region of the Goldfields.
If approved, the Designated Area Migration Agreement would allow overseas workers to be flown over to work in the mines and would make them exempt from the skilled migrants requirement.
Chief executive Paul Everingham told the ABCthere were more than 1000 vacancies in the Kalgoorlie-Boulder mining sector and said the region was at crisis point.
“You can’t sugar coat that — they’re available now and they’re not being filled, so however you can get them (workers),” Mr Everingham said.

"Chief executive Paul Everingham told the ABC there were more than 1000 vacancies in the Kalgoorlie-Boulder mining sector and said the region was at crisis point.
“You can’t sugar coat that — they’re available now and they’re not being filled, so however you can get them (workers),” Mr Everingham said."

Most of those jobs are in the desert, in small camps and conditions are not as good as those in the Pilbara. My son got work on two gold mines but, as he said, the working conditions were poor compared to the iron ore mines. The fifo is quite poor as well; or was when he was in the gold mines.

Cheers, Bobj.

Many are now contracting based, so paid on a day rate. A friend recently got a geology role for the first time in 4 years. But quit after she realised that what she would actually earn was about the same as she was earning working in a restaurant in Freo, because she wouldn't earn anything on break. Permanent full time roles are still hard to get. For example, during the boom, the main mining website - infomine - averaged about 380 geology roles for Australia at any time and peaked at over 1000. During the bust it dropped to about 12. It is now averaging about 17

Things are definitely picking up again. I knowva couple of geos who got laid off when the downturn happened. One got another job quickly but the other guy was doing any work he could get his hands on for about a year. He's back in a well paid position now though.

I think most of the work is going to be in construction again forca while, then production. Couple of big new projects starting and BHP  were on the news last night showing off their big iron ore mine in the NW. As far as I've heard the money and terms for the FIFO are on par with what they were before, so pretty decent money. Make no mistake though it's hard work, long hours in hot conditions and I reckon it's a single guys game. Seen quite a few marriages break down because of FIFO and people getting used to their own space and company.

Like usual it takes time to get the workers back in again. A lot left and got jobs in the City, got used to less money and spending time with family. Maybe they don't want to jump back in?

Don't know about Kalgoorlie. A lot of the jobs there you would be expected to go live there with the family. Not FIFO. Money would be pretty good but I wouldn't do it. Don't like Kal one bit and I don't think my wife and kids would have.