Return Resident Visa

path2aus

Hello All,

I moved here with my wife and daughter in 2017 January. My 5 year travel portion of the visa expired Feb 1 2017. I know that I haven't completed 2 years out of last 5 years requirement but is it possible for me to get a 5 year RRV, if I apply now?

I haven't bought a home here yet but have permanent job in Adelaide. I was initially thinking of applying for my RRV in January 2019 but due to personal reasons, I may have to visit my home country by the end of this year. Just wanted to check if there is a possibility of getting a 5 year RRV if I apply now. If it will just be a 3 month thing, I will apply probably a month or 2 later.

Thanks.

If you don’t meet the 2 year residency requirement you cannot get a 5 year RRV. No exceptions. 

If you apply now and demonstrate substantial ties of benefit to Australia you will get a one year RRV. But be aware that processing times are now 3 months plus for these types of RRV, so if you want to travel later this year get an application in sooner rather than later. 

• 6 months later...

Okay just an update. I completed the 2 year requirement this January and submitted the RRV online. The Visa was granted in few seconds of the submission of the application. Just wanted to update. The application is simple and requires no documentation if you meet the 2 year requirement. 

• Like 2

On 05/02/2019 at 21:38, path2aus said:

Okay just an update. I completed the 2 year requirement this January and submitted the RRV online. The Visa was granted in few seconds of the submission of the application. Just wanted to update. The application is simple and requires no documentation if you meet the 2 year requirement. 

Congratulations! 

Will you be applying for citizenship?

17 hours ago, path2aus said:

Yes eventually when I am eligible to do so (2021).

Brilliant!

May i just ask, was a 5 year RRV granted? If someone is granted a 3 month RRV does that mean you have to enter Australia within that 3 months?

If you leave Australia to visit family in the UK for example, after the 3 month period, do you have to apply for another 3 month RRV whilst in the UK, so that you can get back to Australia again? Or apply before you leave again?

Asking because sometimes life throws unexpected circumstances and travel must be made, ie; death in a family abroad......

If you get granted a 3 month RRV and then stay in Australia for 2 years, then need to leave for a short period, would you then be granted a 5 year RRV?

It all sounds like a lot of hassle to keep applying for this type of visa!

Many thanks

Xx

5 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Brilliant!

May i just ask, was a 5 year RRV granted? If someone is granted a 3 month RRV does that mean you have to enter Australia within that 3 months?

If you leave Australia to visit family in the UK for example, after the 3 month period, do you have to apply for another 3 month RRV whilst in the UK, so that you can get back to Australia again? Or apply before you leave again?

Asking because sometimes life throws unexpected circumstances and travel must be made, ie; death in a family abroad......

If you get granted a 3 month RRV and then stay in Australia for 2 years, then need to leave for a short period, would you then be granted a 5 year RRV?

Many thanks

If you are granted a 3 month RRV you must enter Australia within those 3 months. If it expires and you want to leave again you need to apply for another RRV, preferably before you leave.

Once you can satisfy the residency requirement of 2 years you should be granted a 5 year RRV.

The eventual idea is that you apply for citizenship then you do not need to keep getting RRVs.

39 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

If you are granted a 3 month RRV you must enter Australia within those 3 months. If it expires and you want to leave again you need to apply for another RRV, preferably before you leave.

Once you can satisfy the residency requirement of 2 years you should be granted a 5 year RRV.

The eventual idea is that you apply for citizenship then you do not need to keep getting RRVs.

I totally understand now. Does the residency period though of 2 years have to be consecutive, without leaving the country do you know?

I think by the time we move back to Australia (end of 2020) my husband, by the sounds of things, should get a 3 month RRV as we would have been in the UK from 2014 to 2020, too long out of Australia to qualify for a 5 year or 1 year RRV,  with one visit to spend Christmas with family in 2017.  The personal tie to Australia  for my husband is my family there, former resident, I'm  a citizen and so is our son, I'm hoping that would suffice?

The 3 month RRV is a different animal all together and has different criteria.  It is for applicants who do not have sufficient substantial ties to qualify for the 5 (or 1) year RRV. 

Perhaps it would be best to get some bespoke professional advice nearer the time, as things may have changed in the next 20 months. 

4 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Brilliant!

Many thanks

Xx

Yes got a 5 year RRV. Waited for 2 years just to make sure I get a 5 year RRV. 

3 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

I totally understand now. Does the residency period though of 2 years have to be consecutive, without leaving the country do you know?

It does not have to be continuous I think, It says 2 years in the last 5 years, which means that you can take vacations etc but you would have to spend at least that amount of time that is 730 days to be eligible to get a 5 year RRV in last 5 years.

18 hours ago, path2aus said:

It does not have to be continuous I think, It says 2 years in the last 5 years, which means that you can take vacations etc but you would have to spend at least that amount of time that is 730 days to be eligible to get a 5 year RRV in last 5 years.

That's great, thank you for answering my question.