forms when leaving

paulswin

Hi guys woo hoo finally house is under offer after 6 months!!  Took a big drop in price but hubby really wants to go home.  Question though did you all fill out electoral forms when leaving, to say will be out of the country indefinately?  Also are there other forms like that we should be getting to fill out to let Oz know we are leaving other than tax office?

2 hours ago, paulswin said:

Hi guys woo hoo finally house is under offer after 6 months!!  Took a big drop in price but hubby really wants to go home.  Question though did you all fill out electoral forms when leaving, to say will be out of the country indefinately?  Also are there other forms like that we should be getting to fill out to let Oz know we are leaving other than tax office?

Funny you should ask that. I left Aus 3 weeks ago and just filled in the AEC form last night and uploaded it to their website. Got the confirmation of removal this morning. Only just got a printer/scanner to do this stuff. Tried making use of the library but that was a pain.

I have tried telling Medicare/Centrelink via mygov but that has been challenging and I’m certainly not ringing them to sit on hold for hours from here! ATO was easy.

Otherwise just my bank was the only other thing apart from the obvious utilities etc. I have redirected my post for 6 months to my son’s place in Aus just to collect the leftovers, in case I have forgotten anything.

I had a very long “to do “ list and the AEC was the last thing on it apart from my final tax return for Aus. ?

So happy for you, you must be relieved/excited!

30 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Funny you should ask that. I left Aus 3 weeks ago and just filled in the AEC form last night and uploaded it to their website. Got the confirmation of removal this morning. Only just got a printer/scanner to do this stuff. Tried making use of the library but that was a pain.

I have tried telling Medicare/Centrelink via mygov but that has been challenging and I’m certainly not ringing them to sit on hold for hours from here! ATO was easy.

Otherwise just my bank was the only other thing apart from the obvious utilities etc. I have redirected my post for 6 months to my son’s place in Aus just to collect the leftovers, in case I have forgotten anything.

I had a very long “to do “ list and the AEC was the last thing on it apart from my final tax return for Aus. ?

Thanks Amber Snowball definitely relieved didnt think we'd ever get to go back!!!!  Excited and nervous as we are starting all over again but hubby has never settled here in 6 1/2 years!  Looking forward to the countryside but will miss WA beaches!!!!

54 minutes ago, paulswin said:

Thanks Amber Snowball definitely relieved didnt think we'd ever get to go back!!!!  Excited and nervous as we are starting all over again but hubby has never settled here in 6 1/2 years!  Looking forward to the countryside but will miss WA beaches!!!!

Wow, that’s a long time to be on edge! 

Countryside is a bit crispy at the moment, quite hot and dry. I am currently in Lancashire in a cat friendle holiday let and we have had some showers/rain occasionally. Also not as steamy hot as the south east which is nice. It’s all been rather pleasant! Warm weather easing me back in to the UK! ?

When will you be moving and where to?

1 minute ago, Amber Snowball said:

Wow, that’s a long time to be on edge! 

Countryside is a bit crispy at the moment, quite hot and dry. I am currently in Lancashire in a cat friendle holiday let and we have had some showers/rain occasionally. Also not as steamy hot as the south east which is nice. It’s all been rather pleasant! Warm weather easing me back in to the UK! ?

When will you be moving and where to?

We're going back home to Swindon in Wiltshire probably September or early October just looking at flights at the moment they're pretty expensive!!!!!

3 minutes ago, paulswin said:

We're going back home to Swindon in Wiltshire probably September or early October just looking at flights at the moment they're pretty expensive!!!!!

Lovely! I applied for a job in Swindon but didn’t get it so will be in Cheshire ultimately. I like Wiltshire though. 

And the flights will only be part of the cost! I am still haemorrhaging money in the early stages but progressing with getting things set up so feel it is money well spent! 

Very happy for you! ?

5 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Great news. We did our AEC online and you get a confirmation email. Obviously do a final tax return. I emailed Medicare but didn’t get a reply. You are also supposed to hand your drivers licence in if you are getting a U.K. one as you’re not supposed to have both. Wait until you have your UK ones and then send them back. If you’ve got any gap saver on your private medical go to town on that, we all got new glasses, physio appointments for two of us and final dental check ups? and we still had some left! Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Martinbjulieb said:

Great news. We did our AEC online and you get a confirmation email. Obviously do a final tax return. I emailed Medicare but didn’t get a reply. You are also supposed to hand your drivers licence in if you are getting a U.K. one as you’re not supposed to have both. Wait until you have your UK ones and then send them back. If you’ve got any gap saver on your private medical go to town on that, we all got new glasses, physio appointments for two of us and final dental check ups? and we still had some left! Good luck. 

I kept my Aus drivers licence when I came back, but then I kept my UK one when I went to Aus, so I seem to be a serial offender. ?

11 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Have you thought of keeping your Australian bank accounts just on the off chance of having to receive payments like tax refunds or super.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Have you thought of keeping your Australian bank accounts just on the off chance of having to receive payments like tax refunds or super.

Sorry, wasn’t clear. I have closed the one that would attract fees if I don’t pay $2000 in per month and have opened one that is fee free which I will keep for such things. I need money in Australia as my son is still there in the short term and then longer term for super etc as you say. You need to advise the bank of tax residency if keeping an account is all. 

I have to have the AOS account with Commbank until next year so will be paying withholding tax on the interest....☹️

Thanks @BacktoDemocracy You are very good keeping me focussed and sensible. ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, paulswin said:

I have no idea what that is!!!!

While you were working, your employer paid money into a superannuation fund on your behalf. That's your pension.  You can't cash it in now.  It will sit there and go on earning interest until you reach pension age, then you can cash it in and transfer it to the UK.

There is usually automatic income protection and life insurance included with your superannuation, and the fund deducts the premiums from the fund. There's no point in paying for those if you're no longer in the country as the insurance is no longer valid, so write to the superannuation fund and tell them you're going overseas and want to cancel all  insurances.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

While you were working, your employer paid money into a superannuation fund on your behalf. That's your pension.  You can't cash it in now.  It will sit there and go on earning interest until you reach pension age, then you can cash it in and transfer it to the UK.

There is usually automatic income protection and life insurance included with your superannuation, and the fund deducts the premiums from the fund. There's no point in paying for those if you're no longer in the country as the insurance is no longer valid, so write to the superannuation fund and tell them you're going overseas and want to cancel all  insurances.  

I’m with first state super and they have a specific form I had to post to them, but they cancelled the deductions straight away as soon as they would have received it.

7 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Just thought. Cancel the insurances on any superannuation you have. They are void if you are overseas abd will drain the account over time.

Check with your provider first. Ours are valid even though we are living permanently overseas. So long as they are paid via a Australian bank or super fund. Our insurances are excellent so we pay the amount through our super annually and then make a one off payment to our super from the U.K. again via our Australian bank account to cover it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Martinbjulieb said:

Check with your provider first. Ours are valid even though we are living permanently overseas. So long as they are paid via a Australian bank or super fund. Our insurances are excellent so we pay the amount through our super annually and then make a one off payment to our super from the U.K. again via our Australian bank account to cover it. 

Good idea. I would just say, don't ring up the super fund and ask, because the person you talk to probably doesn't know.  The insurance is provided by a third party. Ask them to send you the full Terms and Conditions of the insurance and check it yourself. 

It would be awful to try and claim on the insurances and find they're not valid after all. Saying "but the super fund told me we were covered" won't cut any ice with the insurance company, they'll say it was up to you to check the T's & C's, as it is with all insurance.

• Like 2

On 25/07/2018 at 00:26, Marisawright said:

Good idea. I would just say, don't ring up the super fund and ask, because the person you talk to probably doesn't know.  The insurance is provided by a third party. Ask them to send you the full Terms and Conditions of the insurance and check it yourself. 

It would be awful to try and claim on the insurances and find they're not valid after all. Saying "but the super fund told me we were covered" won't cut any ice with the insurance company, they'll say it was up to you to check the T's & C's, as it is with all insurance.

Agreed. We have it in writing from our super fund and our broker!