Liveable monthly income - Melbourne

swc132994

Me and my wife have been taking a look at what price range of properties we should be looking in Melbourne. Our take home pay less the mortgage payment should be in around $2500 per month on one income. We are a family of three. The $2.5k will pay utilities, all bills, nursery and our grocery shopping. We don't usually go out to eat but our grocery shopping tends to be higher because we are both foodies. If we have money left we probably will buy new furniture and other stuff but they are not essential for us when we first arrive. I'm hoping that I will get pay more once I gain local experience. 

Does anyone have experience shopping at Costco in Melbourne? Are they good places for grocery shopping?

Edited by swc132994

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @swc132994 it really is an “how long is a piece of string” question. There is nothing wrong with your question but over the many years of being on the forum I’ve seen a family of 5 manage on $500 a month (he was on a student visa) and at the other extreme a family of 3 who said all they could afford was tinned beans, potatoes and a bottle of tomato sauce and they were earning over $300k a year.

I never shopped at the Melbourne Costco when down there but do in Brisbane. We also purchase meat in bulk from the wholesalers and are lucky to have the farmers on our doorstep where we can get a 20kg bag of potatoes for $10, pumpkins for $1, a 10kg bag of onions for $5 etc.

Thank you for the quick reply. I would say we are not the extreme type, pretty average overall however we do like to buy better quality food from supermarkets but we balance our spending by not going out to eat at the moment in the UK. Other than that, our current monthly outgoing is just bills, utilities, insurances, road tax, some repair work every now and then etc, pretty average really

This is really helpful. We probably either look for a cheaper property or not sending our daughter to daycare at first. We were thinking to buy a $850k house with a deposit of $600k. I'm not aiming high with my first job, probably $60k to be safe. 

Thanks for the reply,

We have been reading a discussion from last year.

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/197707-cost-of-living-in-melbourne/

Our situation is actually similar. We want to follow our hearts but the numbers don't add up. Currently our combined pre tax income is £95k in the UK. However, we work long hours and our jobs are demanding. My wife wishes to spend more time with our young daughter. This is why we are hoping that we could survive on my income in Melbourne. However, it seems my job there will pay $80k. This is about average pay in Melbourne and would not enough for us. We could buy a property in Upwey area for $600k as we like the trees. However, we have a much  better lifestyle in the UK, so we struggle to see why we are going there if we follow our head.

This seems to be a now or never decision as our PR visa runs out next year . We are struggling because it's always our dream to go there. 

8 minutes ago, swc132994 said:

Thanks for the reply,

Our situation is actually similar. We want to follow our hearts but the numbers don't add up. Currently our combined pre tax income is £95k in the UK. However, we work long hours and our jobs are demanding. My wife wishes to spend more time with our young daughter. This is why we are hoping that we could survive on my income in Melbourne. However, it seems my job there will pay $80k. This is about average pay in Melbourne and would not enough for us. We could buy a property in Upwey area for $600k as we like the trees. However, we have a much  better lifestyle in the UK, so we struggle to see why we are going there if we follow our head.

This seems to be a now or never decision as our PR visa runs out next year . We are struggling because it's always our dream to go there. 

That is such a shame.

The quality of house in Upwey can also be “challenging “. They build them differently in the hills! They look like I’ve built some of them and I am to construction what Donald Trump is to diplomacy, a blunt instrument! ?

Your UK wages are good. Are you able to afford to reduce hours there to allow for more family time? I’m sure you’ve gone through everything a thousand times in your head already. 

On $80,000 it would be a step back in lifestyle I think. Good luck with your decision. It’s such a pain when the realities of a situation don’t comply with our vision. Suffered a bit of that myself.

?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, swc132994 said:

Our situation is actually similar. We want to follow our hearts but the numbers don't add up. Currently our combined pre tax income is £95k in the UK. However, we work long hours and our jobs are demanding. My wife wishes to spend more time with our young daughter. This is why we are hoping that we could survive on my income in Melbourne. ...

A lot of people seem to think Australia offers a more laid-back lifestyle. That may be true in some parts of the country, but in Melbourne and Sydney it definitely is not.   The fact is, if your job entails long hours in the UK, it will be exactly the same in Melbourne or Sydney.  If anything, the corporate culture is more demanding in those cities than it is in the UK, from what I saw last time I was there.  The standard working hours are 8.30 to 5.30 in most offices, not 9 to 5. I've known people lose their bonusses if they don't "volunteer" for special projects on the weekends, or if they dare leave at 5.30!

The other problem is that to get affordable housing in both those cities, you'll have to live some distance out of town - an hour or more commute each way.  If your wife's not working that might seem OK, but what about you?

Basically, if you want more time with your family, you have two choices:   move to another part of the country where living is cheaper and the commutes are shorter, OR work part-time and accept a reduced standard of living.  Again, you could do either of those things in the UK with the same result.

If you are determined to move to Australia, then I'd rule out Sydney or Melbourne as potential destinations without question. On the figures you're proposing, you'd be penny-pinching and it would badly affect your ability to settle in and enjoy life, IMO.

One thing which you may have overlooked - once you've arrived in Australia, you don't have to work in the occupation you applied with.  It may be hard to find work in your current occupation in a small town somewhere, but if you have other strings to your bow, perhaps you could make a living doing something else?

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

On 21/07/2018 at 17:19, swc132994 said:

Me and my wife have been taking a look at what price range of properties we should be looking in Melbourne. Our take home pay less the mortgage payment should be in around $2500 per month on one income. We are a family of three. The $2.5k will pay utilities, all bills, nursery and our grocery shopping. We don't usually go out to eat but our grocery shopping tends to be higher because we are both foodies. If we have money left we probably will buy new furniture and other stuff but they are not essential for us when we first arrive. I'm hoping that I will get pay more once I gain local experience. 

Does anyone have experience shopping at Costco in Melbourne? Are they good places for grocery shopping?

If you're cute with it, you'll have loads. We're down in the South Eastern side on the Mornington Peninsula (about 1 hour from CBD).

Family of 5 (2 + 3 all under 8 years) and we spend about 1600.00 - 2000.00 per month including all food and utilities (ex mortgage).

The big draw on money is not utilities and food, it's things is 'eating' out and unnecessary 'fluff' like 'cinema trips' or expensive 'sporting activities'. 

You're a migrant, use the BBQ's outdoors, watch a free DVD from the Library (free to join) and take your kids for a walk, of and go to Aldi ?

ATN

On 21/07/2018 at 17:19, swc132994 said:

Yep.  Good for a "big" shop - if you have the storage space for a million bog rolls and lots of freezer space.
Meat is pretty good, got some delightful waygu last time, 3 for $99 which works out at 18 quid each!

CwOA4a9h.jpg

mjTtWtDh.jpg

ydb9Bzqh.jpg

qnZHaYeh.jpg

thanks everyone's reply. 

If we were to stay, my wife could find a part time work which leaves us £4k cash (after mortgage). It's still very good and we do have a nice house in the UK but the problem is the routines. We would absolutely love to move to OZ. There are so many amazing places to visit there. We know that it means a step back in terms of lifestyle. However, we don't want to be on the breadline if this is the compromise. 

We are now considering Brisbane. I can find 40 jobs currently on the market in Melbourne, 18 for Brisbane. Given the population in Brisbane I feel my chance of getting a job is about the same. The properties are much more affordable there. We like the beautiful coastline and the tropical trees, it seems this could be the solution/compromise. 

We are on 190 visa but read that we just need to let Victoria know if we are moving to a different State. 

2 hours ago, swc132994 said:

If we were to stay, my wife could find a part time work which leaves us £4k cash (after mortgage). It's still very good and we do have a nice house in the UK but the problem is the routines. We would absolutely love to move to OZ. There are so many amazing places to visit there. We know that it means a step back in terms of lifestyle. However, we don't want to be on the breadline if this is the compromise. 

We are now considering Brisbane. I can find 40 jobs currently on the market in Melbourne, 18 for Brisbane. Given the population in Brisbane I feel my chance of getting a job is about the same. The properties are much more affordable there. We like the beautiful coastline and the tropical trees, it seems this could be the solution/compromise. 

We are on 190 visa but read that we just need to let Victoria know if we are moving to a different State. 

I lived in the UK for a year a couple of years ago.  I found the cost of living much the same in both countries, (leaving aside the mortgage). Some things are more expensive here, other things are cheaper, so it's swings and roundabouts.  So I'd say the comparison is easy - ask yourself what your life would be like on that budget if you stayed in the UK. That's what it will be like living on that budget in Australia.

Do remember that if you're on a tight budget, you won't be able to visit many of those "amazing places". Australia is vast, so it's not  a case of hopping in the car - Brisbane to Melbourne is the same distance as London to Madrid, for instance - and we don't have EasyJet either, so flights are not that cheap!   

Before deciding whether part-time work is viable, check out the cost of child care. It's very expensive here and some mums find it's not worth working part-time, because the child care costs eat up most of their wage.   If you're living in the outer burbs, she might struggle to find part-time work out there and would have to commute, meaning you might have to pay for before and after hours care as well.  I think I'd look at Geelong rather than Upwey - much easier to get child care, part-time jobs, more facilities, access to a beach.

I suppose the question boils down to, what do you  hope to gain by moving to Australia?   

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

On 22/07/2018 at 21:15, swc132994 said:

Thanks for the reply,

It is has always been your dream to go to Australia then you should definitely do it and not worry too much about money.

I can think of nothing worse in old age than wishing you had followed your dream and didn't do it,

If you are not that fussed then maybe don't bother, but if definitely a long held dream you must do it for your sanity.

Edited by Parley

3 hours ago, swc132994 said:

Hi Parley,

You make a good point. We have desired to goto Australia for some time now and I do feel if we pass up the chance it will lead to future regret. We are trying to weigh up everything as we can't afford to be too reckless. 

Very sensible.  It's one thing to say you have to pursue your dream because you'll regret it when you're old.  But what if your "dream" was to live on the French Riviera, or to sail round the world?  You'd say, "well, it would be a lovely dream, but clearly we can't afford it".   Unfortunately once you have kids to consider, you have to be extra cautious about risking your life savings on a dream.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

On 22 July 2018 at 21:15, swc132994 said:

Thanks for the reply,

Quality of housing in Upwey is extremely hit and miss, and I haven't witnessed a property being sold in Upwey for less than 650K, due to sheer demand (it's a market I've been watching very closely for 12+ months and have personally viewed pretty much 70% of all houses advertised on realestate in last 8 months). The ones advertised on realestate.com.au for around 550-600 are going for +60-80K on top, and ALL of them in that price bracket have needed substantial work from new electrics, new heating system, to restumping (around $1000 a stump, with a 3 bed house potentially having 20-30 stumps).  Upwey is one of the strangest markets in the Hills due to the High School potentially being zoned within next year etc. Properties always go for more than advertised, normally around 50-100K more than what's online.  Also anything over 600K will attract stamp duty too, so bear that in mind.

Also bear in mind cost of utilities and rates as well. Upwey is in the Shire of Yarra Ranges so go on their website and check for rates information. And utilities are very pricey here compared to UK. 

Feel free to ask any other questions. I live in the Dandenong Ranges so know the area well. 

Edited by Beffers

Thanks for the info, this is definitely something to think about. We have certainly noticed that good but cheap housing in a decent area is now a hard find. We have even considered finding a house way out as far as Christmas hills but then we worry if we would be off grid for utilities as well as locating a supermarket and a GP.

11 hours ago, swc132994 said:

Thanks for the info, this is definitely something to think about. We have certainly noticed that good but cheap housing in a decent area is now a hard find. We have even considered finding a house way out as far as Christmas hills but then we worry if we would be off grid for utilities as well as locating a supermarket and a GP.

With Melbourne, you're better off being near your work as some commutes can be horrendous. Prices had been rising steadily over the past cpl years but they've stabilised in the Dandenong Ranges over the past cpl months, although I think Upwey in particular will continue to keep its grip, mainly because its close to the 'burbs to be useful, has the High School (they're aren't many state high schools in the Hills) and its a pretty decent suburb. 

Do you know where you could be working? CBD or elsewhere? 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't really have a clue where I would most likely be working but I think it is more likely to be a suburb than the CBD. I work as a mechanical design engineer in product design and sheet metal as a speciality.

I don't mind a longer commute as long as it is mostly free flowing. In the UK my commute was 45 miles from Leamington Spa to Loughborough taking just over an hour to drive.

My 32 miles from the outer ranges to bayside would take an hour in the morning and 1 hour 20 on average in the evening. Could be up to 1 hour 30 mins, worst one was over 2 hours but that was an exception. I travelled in at 06.30 and out at 16.00. I was further out in the danedong ranges than upwey but free flowing it wasn’t and was getting worse.

2 hours ago, swc132994 said:

Mostly is would be time with spent with the family and a decent house. I will probably be downgrading my car from what I had in the UK but a good house would be a necessary.

I've been doing the number crunching myself and as long as we can survive whilst we get going then that will do me. You may go and end up with a better paid job than your thinking.

• Like 1