STSOL Meaning

Whitey

Hi,

can I ask what exactly does Short Term Skills Occupatinal List actually mean? Like whats the definition of it? The visa sites im looking on, none actually have a definition of what it means and Im trying to explain it to the Aussies in the family? 

Apologies if this is a stupid question!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Whitey no question is stupid, especially when it comes to all the visa changes they are making. I don’t think anyone can keep up. Since we first came over it has changed a million times.

I am no expert,  but as far as I know the Short Term Skills Occupational List is basically your temporary visas that last for 2 - 4 Years. The MLTSSL would qualify you for permanent residency. Hope this helps a little.

I think someone needs to publish a Dummies Guide to Australian Visas, although they would have changed another 5 times before it got published.

29 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Hi @Whitey no question is stupid, especially when it comes to all the visa changes they are making. I don’t think anyone can keep up. Since we first came over it has changed a million times.

I am no expert,  but as far as I know the Short Term Skills Occupational List is basically your temporary visas that last for 2 - 4 Years. The MLTSSL would qualify you for permanent residency. Hope this helps a little.

I think someone needs to publish a Dummies Guide to Australian Visas, although they would have changed another 5 times before it got published.

That’s how I understand it. I get very confused with it all. 

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
13 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

That’s how I understand it. I get very confused with it all. 

Thanks hun x I don’t know how the agents do it. They definitely work hard for their money that’s for sure.

Just now, The Pom Queen said:

Thanks hun x I don’t know how the agents do it. They definitely work hard for their money that’s for sure.

Indeed. When I think how I just casually did my application myself. Rang them up when they refused me and told them to relook at it and they did!

Wouldn’t risk it now!

2 minutes ago, Whitey said:

heads pickled with it already.

Asked on another post and told its permanent visa or nothing, yet here this is a temporary one? 

Have a beer!

I don’t think the Short term list has a path to PR. Max of 4 years. So if you want to stay it has to be the medium/long term list. Plus there are all the rules with PR, age being the big one. Reduced to 45 not so long ago.

Good luck. And double check my info above, as it may be wrong.......

6 minutes ago, Jonno1981 said:

Occupations on the STSOL are eligible for a permanent visa subclass 190, but require state sponsorship.

Also subclass 489, state sponsored and provisional though does have a clear pathway to the permanent subclass 887 visa after 2 years.

There we go. I thought state 190 and 489 had their own state specific lists......glad I don’t want a visa, I’d be in therapy with the current system!

1 minute ago, Amber Snowball said:

There we go. I thought state 190 and 489 had their own state specific lists......glad I don’t want a visa, I’d be in therapy with the current system!

My understanding is that the Australian Government produce the "master" list of occupations that are eligible (both for MLTSSL and STSOL), then the states pick from that to produce their own sponsored list to fill perceived local skill shortages.

2 minutes ago, Jonno1981 said:

My understanding is that the Australian Government produce the "master" list of occupations that are eligible (both for MLTSSL and STSOL), then the states pick from that to produce their own sponsored list to fill perceived local skill shortages.

No argument from me. I keep saying I won’t answer visa related questions as just when I think I understand I find I don’t! ?

• Haha 1