RRV - AUSTRALIAN PASSPORT

Misplaced

Hi,

Just after some clarification with regards to the RRV.

Where someone has a current RRV, becomes a citizen and then gets an Australian Passport does Home Affairs cancel the RRV?

Also, what happens with the RRV for the period between citizenship ceremony and the grant of an Australian passport? Is the RRV still in force?

Cheers,

Mis

My understanding is you only become a citizen after the ceremony and you have taken the oath.

So straight after that your visa is irrelevant as you are now a citizen.

Whether you keep a British passport is beside the point, you are expected to leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport when you have become an Australian citizen.

Edited by Parley

You can get a passport very quickly. My citizenship ceremony was on a Thursday evening. I knew I had to travel on the Saturday, so I called the passport office prior to the ceremony and they made an appointment for the Friday morning. I had my passport by lunchtime Friday. 

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 14:01, VERYSTORMY said:

You can get a passport very quickly. My citizenship ceremony was on a Thursday evening. I knew I had to travel on the Saturday, so I called the passport office prior to the ceremony and they made an appointment for the Friday morning. I had my passport by lunchtime Friday. 

Hi @VERYSTORMY, who did you ring to get it done quickly? Our ceremony is August 9, and we have a holiday on August 16, we only have 4 working days to apply for passport. I wonder if we can do the same as what you did?

Edited by Zet01

1 hour ago, daveysing said:

What do you do when you apply for citizenship, can u leave the country during this time as it's taking some people 16 months until they are granted?

Yes you can. If you receive your ceremony date whilst out of the country just let them know and they'll rescedule it

On 20/07/2018 at 14:19, VERYSTORMY said:

We lived in WA, so I called the Perth passport office and made an appointment. Every capital city has an office. If you call, explain, they will make an appointment. 

Hi @VERYSTORMY, thanks for this information. Will try to ring them this week.