Introduction - Where to start

Whitey

Afternoon all, Or Morning depending on time zone!

Just looking for some info and where to start with moving to Australia! Myself, Wife and two Boys are thinking of a fresh start on the Gold Coast, we have family living there anyway and have been out last year. Just wanted to know where do people start really?

Visa?

Jobs?

House?

Selling house here?

Any initial Advice would be great or links to places I can go to just see whats what.

Thanks in Advance.

Your first step is to find out if you're eligible to apply for a visa. 

To be eligible to apply, one of you must have an occupation that's on the list of eligible skilled occupations.   It's not enough to be doing that job, you also need to check whether you have the qualifications and experience specified.  If you do, the next step is to work out how many points you can earn (you get points for various things, like age, language competency, qualifications etc. You must score a minimum of 60 points before you are allowed to apply.  If your occupation isn't on the list, or you can't make the points, it's all over - you can't migrate.

However, just because you apply doesn't mean you'll automatically get a visa.  It's a competition - people with higher point scores get picked first. Recently, there have been so many applicants with over 70 points, no one else is getting picked.   

The whole process takes several months and you may never get invited, so you certainly should not be selling a house or leaving a job before you know you have a visa approved and in your hand.

When I migrated 30 years ago, it was easy enough to do it yourself.  These days, it's such a minefield that I'd suggest booking a consultation with a migration agent - there's a few on these forums. Just make sure they're MARA registered.  Having family in Australia may or may not help you.

Thanks for that.

I dont intend to quit my job before i Know I have a Visa, but your head spins with all the different connotations of what to do. The family over there certainly helps settle and understanding what to do as we can get them to do a lot of running about for us to start. 

I came to this forum a couple of months ago to try and find the answers for myself, I read post after post and as Marisa rightlty points out above checked to see if our skills were listed on the "wanted list"

We decided to employ the help of a registered migration agent as my wife is an accountant and that profession is very very competitive so we needed the best possible points score. I soon learned that whilst you need 65 points to qualify, that's only any good if all your competition has only 65 points too. And that's not the case. (accountants require 80 points at the moment)

We have completed the English test and gained the full 20 points on that for superior English and we are now going through the skills assessment with CA ANZ (Certified Accountants Australia and New Zealand). This was not that straight forward for us as we have our own business so we needed to prove the work we carry out (I say we but really its all my wife as she is the qualified one).

Its a very interesting journey and we are prepared to switch strategy if needed, but its business as usual still until something solid occurs (like we receive the invitation to apply)

We also learnt about cost from this forum, whilst the cost of the visa is right there in front of you on the website there are little things to add all along the way, and if we do manage to emigrate then there will be more. Pet shipping and tests. selling property, shipping personal belongings etc etc.

Living with an accountant has taught me... plan and be prepared as surprises send accountants wild!

But all in all... enjoy it, and if you want to go for it. Its your life and future so make it the best you possibly can. Good luck

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Whitey said:

Thanks for that.

I dont intend to quit my job before i Know I have a Visa, but your head spins with all the different connotations of what to do. The family over there certainly helps settle and understanding what to do as we can get them to do a lot of running about for us to start. 

Yes, it will be very useful to have someone in Australia to help you find a place to live and get settled in once you've made the move. However there's nothing else they can do until you've actually got your visa.  

There really are no connotations.  The process is (1) apply for the visa, (2) continue with life as usual.   The only thing you can do while you wait is to declutter.

So it would appear i can fall under a different section for my job on the skilled list. Thats half the problem with that list, the names of particular roles, or industry sectors doesn't always add up or describe the particular title you have.

Just got to try and figure the wifes role out now.

Her job is a Business Support Administrator & Trainee ParaPlanner in the finance industry and investments industry - any ideas?