QROPS: natural expiry

Wonderer

Is there a time limit after which it is no longer necessary to have ex-UK pension pot in an QROPS fund? The fees I am being charged for the privilege seem very high.

I grasp the SMSF administration requirements here in Oz. But in getting it QROPS approved are there any pitfalls, like unintended UK taxes, to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Wonderer said:

Is there a time limit after which it is no longer necessary to have ex-UK pension pot in an QROPS fund? The fees I am being charged for the privilege seem very high.

I grasp the SMSF administration requirements here in Oz. But in getting it QROPS approved are there any pitfalls, like unintended UK taxes, to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

HMRC require that any transfer of a UK held personal pension is to a QROPS fund no matter how long you have lived abroad.

Hi again

So if it is a pre-April 2017 transfer then it would fall under the old rules.

The old rules are based on an unauthorised member payment charge being levied on an unauthorised payment IF the member is a UK tax resident or has been a UK tax resident within the last five full UK tax years.

Therefore it may well be (depending on your cessation of UK tax residency) that you would not be liable for such a charge.

This being the case it is likely a QROPS would not be required if considering rolling out.

I am able to provide personal advice that would cover this IF you wish.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks Andy. I have a letter from HRMC dated 11/2014 advising that I owe them nothing. This was in response to me notifying them I was leaving the UK for sunnier climes. So come 11/2019 my 5 years will be up and I will then subject to the Oz rules and can exit my current QROPS provider. I have made a note to contact you closer to the time to get the personal advise you mention.

Many thanks.

• Like 1