Auz tax return, what can I claim?

sualg

So i arrived in Sydney in Oct last year.

Im just filling out my tax return and wondered what are the regulations regarding things i can claim back against my tax bill. I work full time as a employee from a single location.

1) ive had to buy a load of new shirts, suits, shoes can i offset any of that against my bill?

2) ive had to buy a laptop can i claim that back?

3) some days i work from home , can i claim a percentage of my broadband

4) anything else i should consider?

2 minutes ago, sualg said:

Im just filling out my tax return and wondered what are the regulations regarding things i can claim back against my tax bill. I work full time as a employee from a single location.

1) ive had to buy a load of new shirts, suits, shoes can i offset any of that against my bill?

It might be worthwhile getting an accountant to do your first tax return?  Also, consider where you came from - is there a double taxation agreement, i.e. you can't be charged twice for the same income. If you arrived in October from e.g. the UK you would probably be classed as UK resident for the whole tax year, but might be able to claim split year taxation … I daresay you already know all this, but just in case you don't you need to check it all very carefully. I've just done my UK tax return together with an application for split year taxation and it was quite complicated - again I'd use an accountant.  Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, sualg said:

I’m not a tax agent but my understanding, assuming you are employed by an organisation and not self employed, is:

1, no.

2, only if the laptop was purchased solely for work use and you have not been reimbursed by the organisation you work for.  If the laptop is partly for work and partly for home you can claim a percentage of the cost of the laptop.  So if it is used 50% for work and 50% personal use you can claim 50% of the cost.  I’m surprised you had to purchase a laptop as most places will provide the equipment you used.  If you didn’t like the equipment provided and decided to buy your own then this can’t be claimed.

3.  You can claim a working from home allowance of $0.45 an hour to cover the costs of working from home but you have to keep records of your normal working from home pattern.

4.  Not that I am aware of.

I'd definitely endorse Fisher1's recommendation and employ  an accountant/tax agent to do your first Australian tax return - just to be certain you are claiming everything you are entitled to and nothing you aren't.  Their fee can be claimed on your subsequent tax return.    

4 hours ago, sualg said:

1) No. While you may have bought them for work suits and shirts are defined as ordinary clothing. To be tax deductable they would need to be a uniform or necessary safety equipment (such as steel toecapped boots for working on a building site).

2) If bought for and used for work (and your employer hasn't reimbursed you) then yes - but you have to apportion it between work and personal use if used for both. Also because it's an asset you have to amortise the cost you can't claim the full amount in the first year.

3) Yes, you can claim a percentage

4) If you are working for home you can consider the home office allowance. Note that you need a separate room that is used for work to claim this. The allowance is to cover light, heat and depreciation of furniture (so you can't claim for those items as well as the allowance) but not telephone/broadband. You need to be able to demonstrate how many hours you work from home.