Anyone else jealous about not being in the UK at the moment?

Red Rose

14 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

D

not really Paul ...weekends away to many European cities are very affordable ....flight and hotel ....loads of people do it now

Yep, my sisters had a few mate. If it was me and the Wife though I don't think I coild be bothered for a weekend. I'd still go for the 2 or 3 weeks in the Greek Islands or Portugal though. I like being in places long enough to relax and get to know them. Thinking of one of those Greek island swimming holidays for next year when I'll be semi retired.?

• Like 1

On 15/07/2018 at 03:52, Red Rose said:

I know politically things are all over the place at home at the moment,  but the amazing weather, world cup,  Wimbledon, country shows etc it would be an awesome time to be home,  I hope everyone back home is making the most of the amazing weather cause when the weather is good there is no better place on earth! 

It's very much like Perth ATM. Even the countryside looks burnt like Perth. Seven weeks with no rain. Water butts are empty. Garden dieing. Can't sleep. Too hot to go out in the middle of the day. But at least in the morning you know what clothes you will need during the day.

We're actually doing university tours ATM, so it's nice to have consistently good weather to plan them. But the day we did Cambridge it was just unpleasant. Next lot are in September, so hopefully still nice but cooler.

Edited by newjez

23 minutes ago, newjez said:

It's very much like Perth ATM. Even the countryside looks burnt like Perth. Seven weeks with no rain. Water butts are empty. Garden dieing. Can't sleep. Too hot to go out in the middle of the day. But at least in the morning you know what clothes you will need during the day.

We're actually doing university tours ATM, so it's nice to have consistently good weather to plan them. But the day we did Cambridge it was just unpleasant. Next lot are in September, so hopefully still nice but cooler.

Hyde Park in London -  sunburnt grass and no rain.

hyde park.jpg

• Like 1

Problem in the UK is people haven't learnt to water their plants regularly in Summer because usually you don't need to.  I love where I live and certainly wouldn't want to live in the UK at the moment as there seems to be a lot of uncertainty around. That and the number of people, though it is getting that way here now I have to say.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 03:52, Red Rose said:

I know politically things are all over the place at home at the moment,  but the amazing weather, world cup,  Wimbledon, country shows etc it would be an awesome time to be home,  I hope everyone back home is making the most of the amazing weather cause when the weather is good there is no better place on earth! 

There is truly no better place on earth - you said it.  So far this has been an amazing summer.  

18 hours ago, s713 said:

One of the things I did to help smooth our impending return to the UK with the Mrs was map out places that we either routinely drive to now or don't think of as that far; places like the Hills, Swan Valley, Mandurah, Busselton etc. I plotted them on a UK map to show her what sort of similar area we'd be able to cover for days/weekends out etc. and the extent of what you can do/where you can go is absolutely staggering.

Even the distance covered from our home here (NOR) to Perth CBD, the choice in the UK of things to do/places to go is unreal; there's not really anything of equivalence here (apart from Hillarys, which I refuse to go anymore, been 1000+ times).

Indeed. We just love it in UK, its a pretty vibrant exciting place to be.  So glad we came back.   True tho…. the political situation here is bonkers at the minute

17 hours ago, newjez said:

You’re right, we’ve had some ugh days here in Cambridge! Today was not nice for walking at all. Generally we have better weather here than most of the rest of the country. Grass no longer green!

On 15/07/2018 at 10:52, Red Rose said:

No quite happy where I am thank you.

• Thanks 1

Wife just got back from 2 weeks in SE England.  Partly work in London but visiting friends and family around SE too.  She had a lovely time and especially enjoyed the hot weather but when leaving she felt she was coming home.  Overall impression was “too crowded and everything seems grubby/dirty”.

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 01:34, Toots said:

Maybe not    ...........................  the weather/climate seems to be changing.  Those warmer summers may be the norm.

heat ,followed by rain ...lots of it .....it doesn't rain like it used to either ...lots of flash flooding

On 15/07/2018 at 03:52, Red Rose said:

Its a great time to be alive here.  The royal wedding, the RAF centenary celebrations, the explosion of green - driving through London is a feast for the eyes.  Yes the country shows, live music festivals, car shows..   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:26, starlight7 said:

Problem in the UK is people haven't learnt to water their plants regularly in Summer because usually you don't need to.  I love where I live and certainly wouldn't want to live in the UK at the moment as there seems to be a lot of uncertainty around. That and the number of people, though it is getting that way here now I have to say.

the u.k is bloody fantastic , you are not taken in by all this bs about brexit are you ????.

seriously

there are problems in the u.k ,as there is anywhere .....but brexit isn't one of them

people are living their lives ...brexit is old news ,except fir a minority on here.

Britain will be fine ...worry for the e.u though

• Like 1

Just now, bunbury61 said:

the u.k is bloody fantastic , you are not taken in by all this bs about brexit are you ????.

seriously

there are problems in the u.k ,as there is anywhere .....but brexit isn't one of them

people are living their lives ...brexit is old news ,except fir a minority on here.

ask some of the posters who have returned from holidays in the u.k recently

lets hear their opinion

23 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

I do too.  The no deal scenario looks very likely now.. Project fear are in full swing hoping that they will get a another referendum.   Wee Jimmie Krankie is going  daft again as well... Its all kicking off again.   

Just now, bunbury61 said:

have faith , the " bumbling Brits " card is being played brilliantly .

now its coming closer to the wire ,with the e.u ,the stance is being changed ,to a harder and tougher stance .

lets see who blinks first ?

barnier isn't the power ,he is just a suit .

Merkel leads the e.u ....and German industry runs Merkel .

they will insist on some form of compromise

enjoy the summer ?

On 15/07/2018 at 12:52, Red Rose said:

In response to the original question at the risk of the thread going all Brexit, not really given it a thought to be honest - very much focusing on making home in Australia.

That said you'd be hard pressed to beat 2012; TDF, Olympics, Diamond Jubilee, etc ? 

Edited by Ferrets

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:09, Ferrets said:

In response to the original question at the risk of the thread going all Brexit, not really given it a thought to be honest - very much focusing on making home in Australia.

That said you'd be hard pressed to beat 2012; TDF, Olympics, Diamond Jubilee, etc ? 

Much of the time I was down under I would feel kind of jealous of those back home...I would even dream of rainy days and green open countryside.

On 25/07/2018 at 18:09, Ferrets said:

Hard pressed to beat 2012? It pished down all summer shocking weather eased off a little for the olympics and a great legacy that left partitipation sport has never been lower in the uk!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 02:17, Paul1Perth said:

Yep, my sisters had a few mate. If it was me and the Wife though I don't think I coild be bothered for a weekend. I'd still go for the 2 or 3 weeks in the Greek Islands or Portugal though. I like being in places long enough to relax and get to know them. Thinking of one of those Greek island swimming holidays for next year when I'll be semi retired.?

disagree Paul .....get the major travel in early ,before you are 50 .

just got back from Italy ...41c in Rome ...42c the day we were in Florence .

glad I have got all my travelling in early .

60 plus, if we are both fit and well ,will probably be mainly in the u.k .

so much to see

WP_20180802_06_37_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20180802_12_12_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20180802_13_15_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20180808_10_27_53_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

disagree Paul .....get the major travel in early ,before you are 50 .

just got back from Italy ...41c in Rome ...42c the day we were in Florence .

glad I have got all my travelling in early .

60 plus, if we are both fit and well ,will probably be mainly in the u.k .

so much to see

WP_20180802_06_37_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20180802_12_12_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20180802_13_15_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20180808_10_27_53_Pro.jpg

70+ and we and all our friends are still travelling well!!!

In just the Last few years we have been to Cambodia and. Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Singapore and Kuala Lumpa, UK every year with side trips to Majorca Lanzarote with son and family, and  cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam, let alone trips round Australia. 

Most of the trips overseas trips organised through our Probus group in the company of others of a similar age plus quite a bit older, there’s no stopping us!!

You only have one life so get out and enjoy it, 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

To add to my comments in case anyone thinks I have left my travelling until I was in my 70’s, I have been travelling since the early 1960’s, not least spending time in Tunisia, and living in Africa. Spent several summers in France staying with a French family as a young teenager,  the list goes on. So whatever your age there is a world to explore out there, ideally for longer than just the odd weekend.

• Like 2

Lovely pics @bunbury61

I didn't mind the heat and the crowds quite so much when I was much younger and did a lot of travelling with OH in the 8 years before we had children.  After the children came along my holidays were mainly trips back to the UK to see Mum.  I still enjoy a bit of an adventure but time my holidays in Asia and other places to coincide with the cooler time of year and also the driest time.  Do my best to avoid crowded places too.  

• Like 1

in case you misinterpreted my post .

my travel isn't for weekends at a time .

but I did say ,all of Europe's cities were available for short breaks ,I haven't done them .

I wont be doing any long haul travel in my 70s ,either .

get your travel in early ,with your children if possible .