Anyone else jealous about not being in the UK at the moment?

Red Rose

I know politically things are all over the place at home at the moment,  but the amazing weather, world cup,  Wimbledon, country shows etc it would be an awesome time to be home,  I hope everyone back home is making the most of the amazing weather cause when the weather is good there is no better place on earth! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Red Rose said:

I know politically things are all over the place at home at the moment,  but the amazing weather, world cup,  Wimbledon, country shows etc it would be an awesome time to be home,  I hope everyone back home is making the most of the amazing weather cause when the weather is good there is no better place on earth! 

Just returned after a 3 week trip home and absolutely loved it. The summer weather was lovely - low to mid 20's, so perfect for us compared to the much hotter Melbourne summers, and the countryside looked stunning. As you say, politically things are very volatile right now, which makes life interesting if nothing else! People just get on with it though and everyone was enjoying the unexpected progress made by the England team in the football, as well as the tournament as a whole. There was a real buzz about the place and the dry British sense of humour was very much in evidence. 

Now saving up for next year's trip!

• Like 1

We are going tomorrow for our sons graduation. He is already there, having flown out early (he is now living in Australia). 

Lovely occaision but as we travel up and down the country to see family and friends not really a holiday.  Hope weather is still good for us but not too hot as few places have aircon!

Hopefully when oh retires soon we can go for longer and spend time in Spain and Greece in our favourite haunts too.

• Like 2

Just back from a month in UK - very lucky with weather indeed - countryside looks fabulous- even got sunshine on Dartmoor! Managed a few swims in the sea off Hove - bracing! Great to see so many enjoying the great British summer - although I did hear a few moans about it being too hot. To be fair, beautiful weather in Brisbane at this time of year too but loved daylight till 9pm. Always a fabulous time to go & saving up for another trip but next time want to go to Shetland so not sure it will be quite as sunny...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Parley said:

To most of us that live in Australia, this is home not the UK.

We have all those things here so not really missing much. I usually go to the Australian Open also, so we are not missing out on anything.

13 hours ago, Red Rose said:

always something going on ....good and bad ...its never boring .

my wife loves the seasons ,especially the winter ,and Xmas ...not for me ....milder the better

you are only ever 4 hours max away from the sun ...snow ,mountains and some serious history and architecture....

big fan of living in Europe

9 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Just returned after a 3 week trip home and absolutely loved it. The summer weather was lovely - low to mid 20's, so perfect for us compared to the much hotter Melbourne summers, and the countryside looked stunning. As you say, politically things are very volatile right now, which makes life interesting if nothing else! People just get on with it though and everyone was enjoying the unexpected progress made by the England team in the football, as well as the tournament as a whole. There was a real buzz about the place and the dry British sense of humour was very much in evidence. 

Now saving up for next year's trip!

buzz is the right word ...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Red Rose said:

Totally, I'd have killed to have been there this last month.

We are moving back Apr/May next year. Knowing my luck, I'll have to wait another 42 years for a great summer ? (wow, that's 2060).

Edited by s713
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Chortlepuss said:

Just back from a month in UK - very lucky with weather indeed - countryside looks fabulous- even got sunshine on Dartmoor! Managed a few swims in the sea off Hove - bracing! Great to see so many enjoying the great British summer - although I did hear a few moans about it being too hot. To be fair, beautiful weather in Brisbane at this time of year too but loved daylight till 9pm. Always a fabulous time to go & saving up for another trip but next time want to go to Shetland so not sure it will be quite as sunny...

My sister-in-law who was born in Australia (though has lived in the UK since she was a young child) never stops telling me how hot it is  and she doesn't like it at all.  She lives in Hertford.  My sister and another sister-in-law live a lot further north are really enjoying it.  Mind you SIL lived in Thailand for a couple of decades and my sister lived in lots of hot countries too so are used to the heat. 

Edited by Toots

1 hour ago, s713 said:

We are moving back Apr/May next year. Knowing my luck, I'll have to wait another 42 years for a great summer ? (wow, that's 2060).

Maybe not    ...........................  the weather/climate seems to be changing.  Those warmer summers may be the norm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toots said:

My sister-in-law who was born in Australia (though has lived in the UK since she was a young child) never stops telling me how hot it is  and she doesn't like it at all.  She lives in Hertford.  My sister and another sister-in-law live a lot further north are really enjoying it.  Mind you SIL lived in Thailand for a couple of decades and my sister lived in lots of hot countries too so are used to the heat. 

Ha, all my old friends moaned all winter about how horrible and cold it was, and now they're moaning about the heat!  Can't win...

Yes it sure does sound like it is a nice place to be at the moment with the weather and everything going on. I too have heard a few people complaining about the heat though. When we talk to friends and family and we hear that, it does make us laugh. Try 40 during the day and 30 at night with no aircon Love the UK summer nights, nice and warm and light until late. Combine that with a nice beer garden in the country and you have a winning combination.

In short yes we do wish we were there now enjoying it.Bottom of Form

• Like 1

On 16/07/2018 at 09:18, s713 said:

We are planning a trip back the end of next month, so we may just of missed it. Shame, but the weather will still be nice. Wife and kids will stay in our house and I will return for a bit to finish wrapping things up. Then I will return before Xmas

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 00:37, bunbury61 said:

always something going on ....good and bad ...its never boring .

my wife loves the seasons ,especially the winter ,and Xmas ...not for me ....milder the better

you are only ever 4 hours max away from the sun ...snow ,mountains and some serious history and architecture....

big fan of living in Europe

Great as long as you have the money and time off work.

• Like 1

When we lived in the UK last, fair to say we'd gotten into a rut and stopped doing as much as we could have. Certainly, living in Perth improved our get-up-and-go, at least for the time that we could actually find new things to do anyway.

One of the things I did to help smooth our impending return to the UK with the Mrs was map out places that we either routinely drive to now or don't think of as that far; places like the Hills, Swan Valley, Mandurah, Busselton etc. I plotted them on a UK map to show her what sort of similar area we'd be able to cover for days/weekends out etc. and the extent of what you can do/where you can go is absolutely staggering.

Even the distance covered from our home here (NOR) to Perth CBD, the choice in the UK of things to do/places to go is unreal; there's not really anything of equivalence here (apart from Hillarys, which I refuse to go anymore, been 1000+ times).

• Like 1