South Australia Subclass 190/489 applications (July 2018)

Hi all,

Thought it might be useful to those of us going for South Australia state sponsorship to compare notes and timelines. Average processing time is stated as being 9-10 weeks. Our migration agent has said applicant numbers are high so this time frame could well extend.

Despite technical glitches with South Australia's online system we have lodged our application today for subclass 489 state sponsorship (75 points incl. SS). We were having problems adding in all the employment details so South Australia advised us to submit anyway and forward the remaining items separately. 

The demand for my nominated occupation must be quite high as it's status has already changed to "low availability" less than a week after the list was released!!! It took months last year.

Fingers crossed and best of luck.

Edited by Jonno1981

6 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

Dont tell me this!! I am getting my skills assessment changed to get in via another occupation. 

I wonder if the new 65 point minimum is causing an influx of SS applications for SA? Or is this part of a normal cycle?

Not many nominated occupations have changed to "low availability" like mine. Either there was a high number of applicants or a reduced quota this year?

I think SA is having a huge boost in applications due to the TSS being less desirable than the 457 and the increase in points to 65.

We're applying to SA under the high points category - just waiting for a successful skills assessment first and then will apply, assuming they don't bum,p up the high points requirement from 80 to 85, or even 90 like they did last year. Assuming everything goes well, we'll be on 80 points.

Hope everyone manages to get in ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonandSophietravel said:

I think SA is having a huge boost in applications due to the TSS being less desirable than the 457 and the increase in points to 65.

We're applying to SA under the high points category - just waiting for a successful skills assessment first and then will apply, assuming they don't bum,p up the high points requirement from 80 to 85, or even 90 like they did last year. Assuming everything goes well, we'll be on 80 points.

Hope everyone manages to get in ?

It appears they have filled the planning level for my nominated occupation already as it is now also special conditions apply (current minimum 80 points required). It took many months for that to happen last year, this year a matter of days!!! We only have 75 points, but luckily SA have confirmed to my MA they will honour the 65 points required at the time we submitted our application. 

Have you sat your English test? If not, might be worth doing that whilst you wait for your skills assessment result (assuming you are sure of a positive skills assessment). That would save some time and enable you to submit your EOI/state sponsorship application earlier. 

On 13/07/2018 at 07:16, Jonno1981 said:

Have you sat your English test? If not, might be worth doing that whilst you wait for your skills assessment result (assuming you are sure of a positive skills assessment). That would save some time and enable you to submit your EOI/state sponsorship application earlier. 

Just got IELTS results back today by chance. 9, 9, 8, 9 - soooooo happy got the 20 points we needed. All points now sorted just need positive skills assessment and for SA not to increase the points to 85 or 90 in the meantime.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JonandSophietravel said:

Just got IELTS results back today by chance. 9, 9, 8, 9 - soooooo happy got the 20 points we needed. All points now sorted just need positive skills assessment and for SA not to increase the points to 85 or 90 in the meantime.

That's great news, congratulations! One less thing to worry about. 

I've just noticed SA have increased their average processing time to 10-15 weeks for applications submitted after 1st July!!! If I had hair on my head I would have pulled it out by now ?

1 minute ago, JetBlast said:

I submitted my application this week. Hopefully it will be closer to the front and not get stuck at the bottom of the pile.

Do they process these in occupation groups or is it just first come first served?

I don't know. Happy to wait the 15 weeks so long as the outcome is positive ?.

51 minutes ago, Puneet Mithra said:

Hi All, I applied for SC 489 since my occupation was open for only this subclass. Waiting for an update. Applied on 5th July. 

Keeping fingers crossed and wish everyone good luck!

Cheers!

Best of luck to you also.

Have you already obtained state sponsorship?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

My partner has got his invitation to apply for the visa subclass 489 South Australia as an engineering technologist with 80 points in December 2017. So we applied by the end of December. The case officer contacted us in March 2018 requesting more documents. Since then we have not heard anything more from any migration officer. When we call the Aus migration office , they just recommend us to be patient and do not provide us with any useful info. They are just taking forever (already 8 months) and keep increasing and reducing the processing time every month. I just cannot take that serious anymore. We just arrived in Melbourne 2 days ago on our tourist visas as good friends live here and hope to be able to get more info re our application. 

Good luck to all 

• Like 1

Just FYI guys. We could already apply for the bridging visas A online for free which will be valid in 3 months when our tourist visas have finished. The bridging visas were already granted with no conditions. So I called the migration office today to find out what that actually means. We are apparently allowed to work with the bridging visas. We still hope to get the skilled migrant visa granted within the next months. If not, we will start working on our bridging visas. 

Cheers

18 hours ago, Vaneche said:

Just FYI guys. We could already apply for the bridging visas A online for free which will be valid in 3 months when our tourist visas have finished. The bridging visas were already granted with no conditions. So I called the migration office today to find out what that actually means. We are apparently allowed to work with the bridging visas. We still hope to get the skilled migrant visa granted within the next months. If not, we will start working on our bridging visas. 

Cheers

You are very lucky, as generally (except for partner visas) the Bridging Visa continues from the existing visa as far as work rights go and as the existing visa is a tourist visa there would usually be no work rights.

How do you know that only the applicants for partner visas are allowed to work? We had the option to select/ request permission to work when we applied for the bridging visa A so we did. I guess they can see that we were waiting for 8 months abroad and that we have come to Australia to keep waiting here. 

Cheers

48 minutes ago, Vaneche said:

How do you know that only the applicants for partner visas are allowed to work? We had the option to select/ request permission to work when we applied for the bridging visa A so we did. I guess they can see that we were waiting for 8 months abroad and that we have come to Australia to keep waiting here. 

Cheers

Makes sense now, you didn't say you had requested it.

Partner visa applicants get the right to work automatically on BVA. Anyone else has to request it and hope for the best.  Many people find themselves on a BVA for many months with no work rights when bridging from a tourist visa. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just to update everyone who is waiting for SA nomination invite, I submitted my EOI and nomination application for 489 SA on 10th July and received an invite today 8th Oct, so I guess SA has finally got to processing nominations filed till 10th July.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anvita.b said:

Hi All

Just to update everyone who is waiting for SA nomination invite, I submitted my EOI and nomination application for 489 SA on 10th July and received an invite today 8th Oct, so I guess SA has finally got to processing nominations filed till 10th July.

That’s great news, congratulations.

We submitted 11th July so hopefully not much longer to wait. 

Hi All
Congrats and good news for the rest of us. According to the SA website yours is expected at the end of October.

On 21/07/2018 at 01:46, JonandSophietravel said:

Hi, will you be able to share how you got a high score for writing? struggling at 7.5 for writing. Thanks.