You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Hi, my partner and I are planning on moving to Melbourne next September (2019) - we're two females with two small boys, will be 8 and 4 . My partner will be working in the city and we've been looking at Wyndham Vale, Werribee, Geelong..... any advice? Our eldest has emotional needs and so the right school is vital for his support. We thought to rent initially and find our feet. I have a really good community here of school mum friends, playgroup and church so would like to rebuild that over there..before I go crazy! 

Thanks

Jo

Hi, I would say Geelong out of those choices. It is a large town rather than an outer suburb. I moved there when my son was 11 and don’t regret it. It has a great community if you “get out there” . Schools wise can’t say but if you contact the schools I found them all informative and open to you visiting and then you can get a feel for them. Others have said special needs are not as well catered for in Australia but I have no personal experience with that to help you. 

Regular trains run to Melbourne, take about an hour, bit less, to Flinders Street or Southern Cross. 

I moved away from there about 5 years ago so obviously it might have changed, but not that much I think! 

Safe bayside beaches, surf beaches, shopping, sports clubs, cafes etc all within reach. Research the suburbs, there are some crappier ones. Realestate.com.au for rentals or buying houses will help with your budget.

I enjoyed our time there immensely.

Good luck.

I agree, of those three, definitely Geelong.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke