register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Mand80

Urgent Advice Required In case of a Possible Divorce Next Year

Hi, 
My friend and his wife have been married for over 11 years now. They are currently on a 489 visa in Australia. Both are currently working, and would complete 2 years of employment there in a few months. Unfortunately, they have decided to part ways and file for a Divorce.

I had two important questions:

01. Can the wife (who is the dependent) and the husband (main applicant) both apply for 887 as individuals after 2 years of minimum stay & full-time working requirements? 

02. After the divorce, is there a Ban of 5 years for next marriage, or sponsoring a new partner/spouse in Australia? 

I would really appreciate if someone could share their expertise, or experience in this situation.

Not able to find this info on any of the Forums. 

Please help!

2 hours ago, Mand80 said:

Hi, 
My friend and his wife have been married for over 11 years now. They are currently on a 489 visa in Australia. Both are currently working, and would complete 2 years of employment there in a few months. Unfortunately, they have decided to part ways and file for a Divorce.

I had two important questions:

01. Can the wife (who is the dependent) and the husband (main applicant) both apply for 887 as individuals after 2 years of minimum stay & full-time working requirements? 

02. After the divorce, is there a Ban of 5 years for next marriage, or sponsoring a new partner/spouse in Australia? 

I would really appreciate if someone could share their expertise, or experience in this situation.

Not able to find this info on any of the Forums. 

Please help!

I would think that they would need to contact an Immigration Lawyer who is experienced in immigration and marriage legalities. I wouldn't rely on a forum such as this for such an important issue.

309/100 lodged 03.02.2017 - Meds/UK Police requested 10.02.17 - AFP requested 04.03.2017 - Health Clearance 05.04.17 - AFP uploaded 26.04.17 - 100 Granted 02.05.2017 - arrived Melbourne 16.06.2017 and now living our dream!!

I'm not aware of any reason they can't both remain in Australia and independently apply as individuals for an 887 if they each meet the requirements.

The partner sponsorship limitation wouldn't apply since the 489 isn't a partner visa (so being a dependent is not the same as being a sponsored partner).

186 ENS Temporary Residence Transition - Granted Dec 2013 :biggrin: