register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Mike1988oc

189: bridging visa for onshore partner when main applicant is offshore

Hi ,

Due to unforeseen circumstances my partner is having to move back home for bit. I am currently de facto on her 457 which will be cancelled on 12th July giving me 90 days to obtain a new visa.However we have just been invited to apply for the 189 skilled visa, once again with me as defacto.

My question is if the application is made overseas with me still living in Australia do I go onto a bridging visa? and if the application is made onshore and we both go onto bridging visas is mine void when she actually leaves?

We will continue our 3 1/2 year relationship with her returning in the new year.I will be looking to carry on here in the mean time to keep my job  and lease on our unit.

Thanks in advance.

How do you know her 457 will be cancelled today?  You say she "is having to move" which sounds like it's in the future?  Why not apply for the 189 before she leaves?  Even if she needs to leave her sponsoring employer, there's always the chance the 189 could be granted before the 90 days is up.  If DHA do take action to cancel the 457, I'm not sure if they give any warning if the primary applicant is overseas so that could cause you some strife if it happens.  Perhaps worth speaking with a migration agent to work out a strategy.

186 ENS Temporary Residence Transition - Granted Dec 2013 :biggrin:

Thanks for your reply Maggie,

She is leaving next Wednesday and her last day of employment is Sunday.

We are currently getting everything gathered together to apply now but have been advised to apply whilst she is offshore? Leading me to my previous question.  Am I correct in thinking that if she apply's onshore we both go on a bridging visa but with her having to leave mine would also become void after her departure. 

Thanks