Brit girlfriend turned back at border

Beffers

Relayed this story within another thread but as it's quite pertinent to those thinking of travelling to Aus as a tourist, with intention of submitting an 820 onshore:

Heard at work today that a woman was turned back at Melbourne airport today as she tried to enter on a tourist visa but they checked her details and found out she was in fact intending to apply for an 820 onshore, she was turned back at the border and is currently flying back to the UK, with a 3 year ban. Her partner (the Aussie) crossed the border and now he's in Victoria and she's gonna be in the UK and they now face one helliva dilemma.  Had they applied for the 309, they could've entered legally within a few months. 

Just food for thought. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ali said:

I think there's always the risk - we don't often hear of the people that get turned back entering the country in this way.

The risk is always there alright, and you're right, you rarely hear stories and that's why I thought I should share it. 

• Like 1

Silly girl! If she’d have come on here and told us what she intended we would all have told her that she was playing a very risky game. Really silly given the very short turn around times for partner visas through London now.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Silly girl! If she’d have come on here and told us what she intended we would all have told her that she was playing a very risky game. Really silly given the very short turn around times for partner visas through London now.

Its all gone a bit quiet on the London visa grant front!  Nearly 4 months and waiting.

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Might still not have taken any notice Quoll

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. It's true you hear people say it's a risk, but people actually being refused at the border, not so much. I remember reading (not here) about that visitor/820 visa gamble and it was presented as a viable option; this was after I had submitted my own 300 and I remember thinking damn, I wish I had known... Now I'm happy I didn't ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Quoll said:

That's pretty much what I said verbatim to my colleague!!