Frequent Flyer Points

TiaCapan

I have no idea what I'm doing...

So I fly to the UK usually twice a year and an occasional domestic flight also.

Ive just booked on Virgin/Etihad to go to the UK and the lovely lady in customer services almost had a hernia when I said I wasn't a velocity member.

Anyway I am now...

So I've just transferred my flybuy points over to Velocity, 16000, probably won't get me a coffee never mind a seat. 

Was it worth joining?

I also have points with Emirates from previous flights to the UK.

Ive flown Qatar long haul a couple of times in the last year, no idea about any points with them or what scheme they use?

Also a family member works for Qantas and may be adding me soon to whatever the employee reward thingie is? I'm not currently a member of Qantas reward scheme.

Are any of these reward schemes better than others? Can I do anything with the random Qatar or emirates points? 

You need to stick to 1 a group of airlines to maximise your points.

For example if you are a member of the Qantas scheme you can claim points when you fly Qatar, BA, Cathay Pacific (and more!) because they are all in the OneWorld alliance.

Star Alliance is another. They have members such as Singapore Airlines, Asiana, ANA.