Yes I love Perth, my wife is from there and it is where we met.  It was always the long term plan - we also both have family in Perth.
I like the hills, but want to be closer to the city - my wife grew up in Applecross, so we will probably try around there for Applecross High School zone.
I have a friend who lives around there, she loves loves it!

I can't wait to get there just awaiting the Visa and the Rabies cert for our Cats so we can all get booked!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Katiebobbles said:

Oh Jon sorry to hear about the job esp since it was such a push time wise with the visa for you. All that stress for nothing.
Hopefully it's all for the right reason and you will know why when you get there and it will all slot into place.

Sods law isn't it!  Still we are much more ready to go now than we would have been - it has really focused our minds - that and the awful weather.

• Like 2

So I went to New Zealand with my ticket to stay 5 days as requested. The visa was granted Monday UK time - woke to the news Tuesday morning. I rapidly booked a return flight and here I am landed in Melbourne. 

I walked through the auto gates no problems. Felt guilty so immediately went to an immigration officer and asked if that was allowed when permanently migrating. She looked at me like I was mad and said yeah of course. 

And here I am. Now eligible to work and progress my life here!

• Congratulations 3

4 minutes ago, dondons1uk said:

So I went to New Zealand with my ticket to stay 5 days as requested. The visa was granted Monday UK time - woke to the news Tuesday morning. I rapidly booked a return flight and here I am landed in Melbourne. 

I walked through the auto gates no problems. Felt guilty so immediately went to an immigration officer and asked if that was allowed when permanently migrating. She looked at me like I was mad and said yeah of course. 

Amazing, congrats! Bet you’re pleased, job hunting in the near future or is that already sorted?

I don’t think I will get mine while I’m here, so looks like I shall return to UK and finish my work contract and move in the summer. 

Just now, SydneyBound said:

Amazing, congrats! Bet you’re pleased, job hunting in the near future or is that already sorted?

I don’t think I will get mine while I’m here, so looks like I shall return to UK and finish my work contract and move in the summer. 

Ah sorry you think you won't get yours. It's a horrible horrible waiting game. 

No job sorted. No one would even talk to me without a visa. But several applications now made so hoping the new year will bring new opportunities

17 minutes ago, dondons1uk said:

Ah sorry you think you won't get yours. It's a horrible horrible waiting game. 

No job sorted. No one would even talk to me without a visa. But several applications now made so hoping the new year will bring new opportunities

Would have been nice to get it sorted but that’s how it works sometimes. 

I shall be doing the same as soon as PR is granted, I’ve had a little look and there are plenty it seems. Mrs already has a job offer, just needs security clearance. 

Min a bit gutted about the change in law in regards to citizenship this year, puts my first job choice out of reach for a while, though I might send off a nice letter to the minister to have a look into it. 

1 minute ago, SydneyBound said:

Would have been nice to get it sorted but that’s how it works sometimes. 

I shall be doing the same as soon as PR is granted, I’ve had a little look and there are plenty it seems. Mrs already has a job offer, just needs security clearance. 

Min a bit gutted about the change in law in regards to citizenship this year, puts my first job choice out of reach for a while, though I might send off a nice letter to the minister to have a look into it. 

Uh.oh what change in citizenship? Made it longer have they?

50 minutes ago, dondons1uk said:

Congratulations, great news. Best wishes for the future

Fab news congrats ..... what an Xmas pressy ... fingers crossed you get some work quickly

1 hour ago, vickyplum said:

@SydneyBound Hi, have you actually heard that this is definitely happening? Please post a link if so.

I was keeping an eye / ear on things, but have been a bit slack lately!

Thanks 

It’s happened I’m afraid. I went for a informal interview for a job and it was pointed out that I had to wait. https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/migrate/migration-process/australian-permanent-residency-and-citizenship

law changed as of June 2018. 

54 minutes ago, SydneyBound said:

It’s happened I’m afraid. I went for a informal interview for a job and it was pointed out that I had to wait. https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/migrate/migration-process/australian-permanent-residency-and-citizenship

law changed as of June 2018. 

I can't see what's changed - it's four years living in Aus with the last year as a PR. Did it used to be less than four years? I've been targetting 2019 as my year for citizenship, for a while now! 

2 hours ago, vickyplum said:

@SydneyBound Hi, have you actually heard that this is definitely happening? Please post a link if so.

I was keeping an eye / ear on things, but have been a bit slack lately!

Thanks 

This has definitely already happened and it was 2017 as we came over June 2017 and I was advised by Immi that I can't apply for citizenship until June 2021 ...

11 minutes ago, Beffers said:

This has definitely already happened and it was 2017 as we came over June 2017 and I was advised by Immi that I can't apply for citizenship until June 2021 ...

My confusion is that the rules were going to change, meaning you'd have to be four years as PR before qualifying for citizenship. But I can't find any news source that confirms if that's happened.

Immi website and the residence requirement calculator, still states four years living in Aus with the only the last of those years needing to be  PR.

Sorry to go off topic!!

Hi all,

New member here but have been reading this thread for a while with interest. Best of luck to all of you waiting and congratulations to those who have received visas recently.

I am an Australian citizen, my wife is British and recently we lodged a 309 application from here in the UK. 

We'd always planned on heading back to Australia but we are doing so sooner than planned as my mother is currently critically ill in Australia. I was wondering if anyone has a contact email address for the team dealing with partner visa applications in the London office, as I would like to request priority processing on compassionate grounds (I have supporting medical documentation to submit as evidence of this). 

Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. 

Neeskens

1 hour ago, neeskens said:

Hi all,

New member here but have been reading this thread for a while with interest. Best of luck to all of you waiting and congratulations to those who have received visas recently.

I am an Australian citizen, my wife is British and recently we lodged a 309 application from here in the UK. 

We'd always planned on heading back to Australia but we are doing so sooner than planned as my mother is currently critically ill in Australia. I was wondering if anyone has a contact email address for the team dealing with partner visa applications in the London office, as I would like to request priority processing on compassionate grounds (I have supporting medical documentation to submit as evidence of this). 

Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. 

Neeskens

There is no priority processing option for Spouse Visas

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Hi Neeskens.

I would call the global helpline, although they might not be much help.  It might be easier to go on a tourist visa to be honest, then head offfshore when the grant comes through.

Hi Jon. Thanks, I will try that - and yep, tourist visa is plan B.

8 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

There is no priority processing option for Spouse Visas

Hi Nemesis. I understand there's no official priority processing so it's a long shot - but have heard of cases (including older threads on this forum) where they have expedited due to compelling family medical circumstances if evidence can be provided. 

Has anyone on here had a refusal on partner visa and appealed. Want to know after the appeal how long will the approval take do I have to go to the back of the que or is it done more promptly as I have had to wait for so long due to a mistake the embassy made and I was refused due to them. 

9 hours ago, Ben34uk said:

Has anyone on here had a refusal on partner visa and appealed. Want to know after the appeal how long will the approval take do I have to go to the back of the que or is it done more promptly as I have had to wait for so long due to a mistake the embassy made and I was refused due to them. 

We were told if we appealed it could be 2-3 years