Has anyone had any luck actually contacting the office that is processing their visa? I got a RFI in November 2020, from the Berlin office. I promptly supplied the documentation (police checks which had expired). Nothing since. I emailed them on the 3rd of Jan, but got nothing, then again today and got an automated reply. I was trying to get some kind of an update/complain about the time it is taking (>14 months) for an ostensibly very straightforward case. I did not put it in those words exactly, but that was the gist.

The automated email says that the inbox is only for people submitting paper applications to the Berlin office and that people should refer to the attached FAQs, the first of which is:

"I want an update on my application

Any requests for status updates sent to this mailbox will not be responded to.

Information on processing times for all visas can be found at https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/global-visa-processing-times"

Super helpful 😞

I def. read on this forum somehwere (sorry, can't find the post) that it's worth following up on email after you upload docs in response to the RFI as this may prompt the CO to pick up your application. This automated email leads me to conclude that might be wishful thinking... or ... is there a different email address to contact? 

Thanks for any and all insights. 

• Sad 1

On 29/01/2021 at 23:54, Chocci said:

Wondering if anyone in London had any visas granted by the Berlin office in the past couple of weeks? 

We live in London (and applied in London) and we're also waiting for an update from the Berlin office after receiving an RFI in November 2020 and supplying the information in December. It seems there's a few people on this forum waiting on any kind of update from Berlin, I wonder if Germany extending its lockdown is having an impact? Hopefully we will all get good news some time soon 🤞😄

On 29/01/2021 at 23:54, Chocci said:

Wondering if anyone in London had any visas granted by the Berlin office in the past couple of weeks? 

Yes I did, got my 309 Granted via the Berlin Office 22/12/2020 after I lodged it 18/08/2020.  I received an RFI from them mid November, it took all the 28 days to reply due to waiting on the Aus Fed Police check so replied on 18th Dec and to my astonishment received the grant on the 22nd.

I printed, framed and wrapped it to surprise my girlfriend on Christmas Day here in the UK. Safe to say there were tears of joy! Flights booked for 4th April!

Good luck to anyone reading this. Yes it does feel like you imagine getting that email through!

Edited by Comlay90
  • Congratulations 2

11 hours ago, ainzlondon79 said:

We live in London (and applied in London) and we're also waiting for an update from the Berlin office after receiving an RFI in November 2020 and supplying the information in December. It seems there's a few people on this forum waiting on any kind of update from Berlin, I wonder if Germany extending its lockdown is having an impact? Hopefully we will all get good news some time soon 🤞😄

Thanks - good to know it's not just us, but sorry to hear you're also still waiting. We applied on 1 December 2019, so 14 months today...Really hoping for a response soon!

I hope Comlay'90's fast turnaround for their approval (congrats!) means that things are moving along in the Berlin office. It also suggests that applications certainly do not just get added to a queue and processed in order. So frustrating. The whole process is just a black box, isn't it?

Fingers crossed for everyone!

• Thanks 1

On 01/02/2021 at 01:10, Anais_V said:

Thanks - good to know it's not just us, but sorry to hear you're also still waiting. We applied on 1 December 2019, so 14 months today...Really hoping for a response soon!

I hope Comlay'90's fast turnaround for their approval (congrats!) means that things are moving along in the Berlin office. It also suggests that applications certainly do not just get added to a queue and processed in order. So frustrating. The whole process is just a black box, isn't it?

Fingers crossed for everyone!

Hi @Anais_V we received the fantastic news this morning that both our 309 & 100 visa's were granted so hopefully yours is not far away as I have confirmed it was processed by the Berlin office... Needless to say we are super happy 😄 although slightly dreading sorting out flights and shipping our possessions 😂

• Congratulations 4

18 minutes ago, ainzlondon79 said:

Hi @Anais_V we received the fantastic news this morning that both our 309 & 100 visa's were granted so hopefully yours is not far away as I have confirmed it was processed by the Berlin office... Needless to say we are super happy 😄 although slightly dreading sorting out flights and shipping our possessions 😂

Wow - that's fantastic news. You must be over the moon. Congrats and good luck with the move. She'll be right 😉

On 10/12/2020 at 22:00, Almat said:

@bicek huge congrats well done! You’ve panicked me a bit as I’m flying on New Years Eve with the children and my Australian husband is flying later once his work is finalised. I can’t see any stipulations on my visa hard copy or VEVO. 🤷‍♀️ 

Hi @Almat I just wanted to follow up and check if you made it over to Australia OK? Did your flights go ok? And did you have any problems entering before your Australian husband flies in? Just curious to check if we need to fly together or whether it's fine for the visa holder to fly ahead of their Australian partner (if going on a partner visa). 

Hope you are safe and well and settling in over there!

9 hours ago, ainzlondon79 said:

Congratulations @ainzlondon79! Fantastic news. I would be grateful to know how you get on with flights and getting yourselves over to Aus. We are still awaiting the visa but not sure what to do once it arrives as flights seem scarce so would be interested to hear how other people are getting on getting themselves over there. ☺️

• Like 1

Just a quick update to say that I actually got a reply from the Berlin office after complaining about the long wait and the lack of communication. Not super informative, but the gist is that they (apparently) don't know when the off-shore requirement will be removed:

"Thank you for your email.

Please note that as you applied for your partner visa outside of Australia, it is a legal requirement that you must be outside of Australia for us to be able to grant your visa. Normally we would request that you travel outside of the country to allow grant. At the moment this of course is not possible.

There have been discussions in Australia to allow applicants to remain in the country for grant due to the pandemic. We are also awaiting further information in relation to this matter.

As soon as we are in a position to grant your visa we will contact you. Until then you will be required to apply for another visa to maintain your legal status in Australia."

13 minutes ago, Anais_V said:

Just a quick update to say that I actually got a reply from the Berlin office after complaining about the long wait and the lack of communication. Not super informative, but the gist is that they (apparently) don't know when the off-shore requirement will be removed:

"Thank you for your email.

Please note that as you applied for your partner visa outside of Australia, it is a legal requirement that you must be outside of Australia for us to be able to grant your visa. Normally we would request that you travel outside of the country to allow grant. At the moment this of course is not possible.

There have been discussions in Australia to allow applicants to remain in the country for grant due to the pandemic. We are also awaiting further information in relation to this matter.

As soon as we are in a position to grant your visa we will contact you. Until then you will be required to apply for another visa to maintain your legal status in Australia."

Not sure if this is related, but I have heard of people applying for the travel exemption on the grounds of being a partner of a citizen, mentioning that they have a partner visa application in process, and that helped get the visa processed.  I have no idea whether it's genuine or just an internet rumour, but it might be worth a try.  The travel exemption does not expire.

@ainzlondon79 @Comlay90 Congrats, that's such great news!  Hopefully we are just a little way behind you. My British husband filed his application in September, and they sent a RFI in early Dec so he went for his medical and his police report was submitted early January.  We actually initially thought the timing would be much longer but the quicker turnarounds from other people here has given us hope.  

@Anais_V I am assuming the lockdown in Germany is slowing things a bit! Fingers crossed things ease up soon. 

Hi, just wanted to share that my husband's 309 & 100 visa's were both granted this morning! This was through the Berlin office. 

We applied in September, received RFI in Dec, and submitted the medical same month, and police check in early Jan. We've been married nearly 10 years with two kids and looking forward to move back after summer, aiming for Sep-Nov time frame.  I hope we can get on a flight to get home. 

Good luck all and if you are waiting, I hope it comes through for you soon!   

Edited by Chocci
  • Congratulations 3

On 30/01/2021 at 10:36, bicek said:

Has anyone had to apply for an extension to their entry date to activate their partner visa? What is the process for this? 

Hi @bicek, 

We asked the question last year, as flights were being cancelled with Covid and entry caps etc. This is what I received in response:

The first entry date condition is a legislative requirement and is attached to permanent and provisional visas granted offshore.  It is not possible to waive the condition or vary the date, and visa holders who breach the first entry date condition may be subject to visa cancellation. 

However, in the majority of cases, visa holders who are unable to make their first entry by the required date may be allowed to enter Australia at a later date, provided their visa is still valid and there is no other reason to consider cancellation of the visa. 

This consideration cannot occur until travel plans have been made. 

When you are able to travel to Australia, you should contact the Department of Home Affairs’ office qld.pp.processing@homeaffairs.gov.au or the office which granted your visa with a copy of your travel booking and you will be assisted with additional advice at that time.

Has anyone else had this, and/or have any experience in this?

Thanks! 🙂

• Like 1

DH's 309 finally granted after applying in July 2019. We applied for the 600 visa last week cause we wanted to make sure he'd be able to at least get in the country before we sold our house, booked dogs into mickelham quarantine facility and booked our own flights for July/August.

Actually can't believe it finally came through 🎉

• Congratulations 2

I found this to be the best forum for understanding the timings so just wanted to contribute.

Took the gamble and organised the Health Check and Police Checks ASAP.

• Australian with British partner (unmarried)- together 5.5 years.
  • Partner application submitted online in the UK with all evidence - 18th January 2021
  • Sponsor application completed with all evidence - 19th January 2021
  • Australian and UK Police checks for both applicant and sponsor uploaded 25th January 2021
  • Medical completed  - 12th February 2021
  • 309/100 both granted - 17th February 2021  (no RFI)
  • Congratulations 1

8 minutes ago, Didgeridone said:

I found this to be the best forum for understanding the timings so just wanted to contribute.

Took the gamble and organised the Health Check and Police Checks ASAP.

• Australian with British partner (unmarried)- together 5.5 years.
  • Partner application submitted online in the UK with all evidence - 18th January 2021
  • Sponsor application completed with all evidence - 19th January 2021
  • Australian and UK Police checks for both applicant and sponsor uploaded 25th January 2021
  • Medical completed  - 12th February 2021
  • 309/100 both granted - 17th February 2021  (no RFI)

Congrats. Wowsers. That must be a record! What office did this go through?

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding when submitting the application. when I try to submit the visa application it will not accept the UK postcode on the payment page. It insists that the second character of post code is a number but it’s a letter and so it won’t go through. Has anyone had this problem?

(Edit: asking for a friend)

Edited by Mustelalutreola