Australian visas: What changed on July 1

Densha

Was just reading this article and am a bit baffled by one sentence which I hope is a misprint, otherwise it does not make sense and actually just makes being a migrant in Australia extra challenging.

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi/en/article/2018/06/29/australian-visas-whats-changing-july-1?cid=inbody:visa-seekers-left-in-the-lurch-by-changes-to-state-nominations

The sentence states "A fee of $3,000 is set for an employee on a permanent skilled visa (186 and 187 visas)" does this mean the fee will be applied when APPLYING for 186 or does it mean as a permanent resident on 186 either you or your employer has to pay this fee?  If it is the latter...what the hell?

It looks like they're referring to the new training levy that will be applied when nominating someone on a 482 visa or on a 186/187 visa.  For the 186/187 visa, there's no requirement for the employer to pay any of the fees so they could require the employee to pay this in addition to the nomination and visa application fees.

4 hours ago, MaggieMay24 said:

It looks like they're referring to the new training levy that will be applied when nominating someone on a 482 visa or on a 186/187 visa.  For the 186/187 visa, there's no requirement for the employer to pay any of the fees so they could require the employee to pay this in addition to the nomination and visa application fees.

It does not say applying it say a fee is set for an employee ON a permanent skilled visa. To me that means on visa already not applying for.  I think I will just call up somewhere (Lawyer or Immigration) to get a definite answer.  Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2018 at 13:00, MaggieMay24 said:

It could be worded ore clearly, but they aren't going to go back to employers who already have workers on 186/187 visas and ask for more money.  It's only on future applications.

With Australia immigration one never knows lol.  But thanks I am sure you are right.