Taking my dog to Australia

MarcandKate

I have written a post on my experience so far on taking a dog hes due to fly on the 10th August

HI, I thought i would write a post about taking my dog to Adelaide to start our new adventures.

I decided to go with Pet air for transporting my doggie. I had a google around at a couple of others but I decided that although pet air are not cheapest I believe that they are one of best and so far they have not disappointed, every question I have have asked they have answered and I contacted them by email and phone, I paid for the gold service this includes everything apart from the rabies blood test and the flight from Melbourn to Adelaide that had to paid separately also the quarantine fees have to be paid direct to the Australian government. The full price I have paid will be about £6,000 he's a Deerhound x greyhound so his crate will be massive and he will take up quite a bit of airspace. Hes flying on the 8th August with qantas on the most direct route with a stop to refuel.

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs here is the Oz government official website for bringing cats and dogs in to Oz you can type in the date that your moving and this gives you a time frame of when things have to be done by. I used this a guide.  It takes about 6 months to bring a dog in to Australia  it sounds like a long time and a lot to do but there isn't really  there are quite a fewo  months where there is nothing to be done. The rabies blood test is done at the start because has got to be done 180 days before they fly. I would strongly suggest that you do use a pet migration agent as there is a lot of paper work to be done and they do most of it I only had to do a bit.

Quarantine in oz is only 10 DAYS a lot of people I spoke to thought that it was a lot more so for me    there was no question of not taking my doggie with such a short quarantine time. I have thought about leaving him with friends and family and I kept on thinking of the money I would save but I just could not do it and I know that he will be fine, once out of quarantine he maybe sleepy and take a few weeks to adjust and adapt and that he may not like the car at first and there maybe a few other things but I am prepared for me and my dog to take one step at a time to not expect too much and that its going to be strange at first for me as it is for him.

Hope this helps some of you who are thinking of taking your pets to Australia.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We've also booked to take our Border Collie over with us with Pet Air and I agree the service so far has been worth the cash. 

just wondering if you're planning to get travel/emigration insurance for yours? I had a bit of a google but could only find one company that offered it and even then it only covered for 36 hours after they arrive i.e. if anything happens during quarantine then we're stuffed. It was only £50 so I might still get it anyway but just wondered if there were better options

cheers

lisa

Guest The Pom Queen
On 17/07/2018 at 01:21, lbooth said:

Hi

We've also booked to take our Border Collie over with us with Pet Air and I agree the service so far has been worth the cash. 

just wondering if you're planning to get travel/emigration insurance for yours? I had a bit of a google but could only find one company that offered it and even then it only covered for 36 hours after they arrive i.e. if anything happens during quarantine then we're stuffed. It was only £50 so I might still get it anyway but just wondered if there were better options

cheers

lisa

I know when I did vet checks in the UK quarantines a lot of people had insurance policies with Pet Plan, it wasn’t their off shelf policy so you had to call up and request it. You could maybe contact a few AU Insurance brokers and see if they would do it. Your other option would be to take out an annual insurance policy (Pet Plan have changed their underwriter just recently so I’d try someone else like Bow Wow) the only thing is you probably won’t be covered for the first 30 days with these policies. 

‘It may be worth while asking @BobPetairUK if he knows any that would cover you for the quarantine period.

On 24/07/2018 at 13:09, The Pom Queen said:

I know when I did vet checks in the UK quarantines a lot of people had insurance policies with Pet Plan, it wasn’t their off shelf policy so you had to call up and request it. You could maybe contact a few AU Insurance brokers and see if they would do it. Your other option would be to take out an annual insurance policy (Pet Plan have changed their underwriter just recently so I’d try someone else like Bow Wow) the only thing is you probably won’t be covered for the first 30 days with these policies. 

‘It may be worth while asking @BobPetairUK if he knows any that would cover you for the quarantine period.

Thanks Pom Queen

I didnt think to look for an annual plan. She doesn't have one over here because they want to charge me an extortionate price (apparently her getting attacked by another dog one time pushes my premiums up!). I'll investigate and see if I can convince them to cover us. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is an update to say Alfred my doggie has arrived in Adelaide this morning and is now relaxing on the sofa it has been the hardest two weeks of my life and i am so happy hes back :). Just to answer the insurance question i did not insure Alfred for the quarantine period the only thing i insured him for was the flight, my reason for this was that i feel there is a lot of loop holes in the insurance policies and clauses and i am sure i read somewhere that the quarantine have there own insurance in case anything happened but i was sure that nothing would happen to him and having worked in boarding and rescue kennels i knew that he would be cared for to the highest standard and also it was the cost. Now Alfred is back i feel i can relax and start enjoying our new adventure and new life in Adelaide. 

Katie and Alfred xxx

• Like 3