UK CAMPING GEAR - AUS COMPATIBILITY

Billawrong

Hi All

I have a quick question on camping equipment I hope someone could help with.

We have a number of electrical camping items and extensions we use for camping at electric pitches in the UK. I’ve seen AUS camping equipment at 240v, 12v, etc, but as UK electrical goods are not compatible with the 230v AUS housing setup, do the same rules apply with the outdoor equipment?

Would be great if we didn’t have to sell and re purchase everything again when we arrive, but need to be sure I’m reading the websites right!

Many thanks in advance as any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Kind Regards

Bill

That’s great, thanks to both of you for taking the time.

Been having no luck so far this morning nailing down wether the 16amp 3pin for the extension/hookup lead, which fits the external hook up points on UK camp sites will work. Is it the same power point for electrical hookups on Australian camp, tourist spot electrical hookups?

Looked on a few Aussie websites such as BCF.com.au, but could see the equivalent.

Probably staring me plain in the face, so thanks again in advance.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get it sorted?  The sites we stay up just use regular 15amp sockets (a normal 10 amp will fit and as long as you don't draw serious power will be fine.  we normally just have a LED light and the Engel plugged in).  I read somewhere that it's illegal to hook up a caravan using a 10 amp lead though.

Your UK socket will not fit - I recall them being a round pin arrangement.  We use a regular 15 amp lead (albeit a weatherproof one).  There are some vociferous arguments on various camping forums as to whether you need this rating or that rating, though I've been on a lot of camp sites and yet to see any inspections happening.

Edited by Eera

On 05/07/2018 at 20:23, Billawrong said:

Hi All

I have a quick question on camping equipment I hope someone could help with.

We have a number of electrical camping items and extensions we use for camping at electric pitches in the UK. I’ve seen AUS camping equipment at 240v, 12v, etc, but as UK electrical goods are not compatible with the 230v AUS housing setup, do the same rules apply with the outdoor equipment?

Would be great if we didn’t have to sell and re purchase everything again when we arrive, but need to be sure I’m reading the websites right!

Many thanks in advance as any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Kind Regards

Bill

That's glamping, not camping...

This is camping...

808116950_Hols2012097.jpg.642d511467178e50ba260d1002ba05ef.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Haha

noted.

Spent years pressing my Wife & Daughter to go camping, till they eventually agreed.

A glamping setup was  the compromise mate, so had to take it or leave it.

In all honesty, I’m probably a bit too used to the comforts now myself.

Cheers

Bill

• Haha 1