Jump to content

Baffled in Bendigo...WHV to 482 (social work)

Recommended Posts

Hey Everyone, 

I'm new to these boards but wondered if you might be able to share some sage wisdom. This is my current situation:

- I have just entered the second year of my WHV. I want to remain in the country at the end of this year. I live and work in regional Victoria and my parents are also citizens here (they moved 11 years ago, I have only just joined)

- I am a trained social worker, but I have not yet applied for my qualifications to be assessed by AASW but i know there is a very long waiting list. 

- my current employer is willing to sponsor me for a TSS (482) visa. i am currently doing a role which is not full time and is wellbeing work in a school rather than social work per se. 

I have spoken to the DIBP contact centre and they have advised that my best course of action would be 482 medium stream, to give me enough time to do the EOI and application process for a 189 (if they should allow me to apply). So my current questions are:

1) do i have to apply to AASW for my qualifications to be assessed if I am already employed by my sponsor?

2) within that application, do I need to pay for the additional assessment of my skilled work experience, or can I just provide that documentation as part of the visa?

3) my employer has never sponsored anyone before (they are a large social care provider in victoria like Anglicare) is it a straightforward process for them? i have looked at the required steps online but just wondered about others experience. 

Thanks in advance everyone...


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would strongly advise you and your employer appoint a registered migration agent. For example, from you have posted, I am not certain even the position is eligible to be sponsored. I am far from certain that the role fits an occupation on the list and the role has to be full time

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the employer has never sponsored anyone before, I wouldn't recommend them jumping in and trying to do their first application without an agent.  It's a fiddly process. 

As VeryStormy says, their first step should be to ask the agent whether they're even able to sponsor you for a part-time job.  It's not enough that they want to keep you. The role has to be on the list of eligible occupations.  There are several good agents on these forums like @wrussell or @Raul Senise

I know it sounds weird, but don't believe what DIBP tells you on the phone.  The people you talk to are just in a call centre, and famous for getting things wrong.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you very much everyone. I ended up connecting with a migration agent who is going to help me navigate the process. particularly because of all the changes to immigration at the moment. THANK YOU! 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now