High Points for 489/190 - South Australia

11 hours ago, JetBlast said:

I am not sure where I want to go yet. I have been looking at North Adelaide but that will be in a flat or some time. I have been looking at areas west of the city.

Are there any "rough" areas in Adelaide to avoid please?

From what I have read and talking to someone who use to live in Semaphore.  The general view is avoid anything north of Adelaide.  Coast areas - Semaphore, Henley, Glenelg, brighton etc all meant to be nice.  South of the city, Unley, Goodwood, Norwood area, and the foothill to the east are all meant to be nice.

Suppose just depends how close to the sea you want to be, or you could get somewhere in land with a pool for a similar price to a house near the beach.

Getting a month long air bnb is prob the safest bet then find get a feel for the areas before trying to find a rental, I think most are 12 month rentals so you need to be sure where you want to be.  I have 2 kids so need to plan well and register them in a school near where we move.  Don't to move to another area and have to uproot them after a year

2 hours ago, OffToOz said:

From what I have read and talking to someone who use to live in Semaphore.  The general view is avoid anything north of Adelaide.  Coast areas - Semaphore, Henley, Glenelg, brighton etc all meant to be nice.  South of the city, Unley, Goodwood, Norwood area, and the foothill to the east are all meant to be nice.

Suppose just depends how close to the sea you want to be, or you could get somewhere in land with a pool for a similar price to a house near the beach.

Getting a month long air bnb is prob the safest bet then find get a feel for the areas before trying to find a rental, I think most are 12 month rentals so you need to be sure where you want to be.  I have 2 kids so need to plan well and register them in a school near where we move.  Don't to move to another area and have to uproot them after a year

I've seen on the south australia website that they have discount with a couple of companies for skilled migrants to use for renting.

I've not checked them out so not sure how much cheaper they are.

I've found homely.com.au quite awkward to navigate and there are so many suburbs with amazing reviews that it's hard to really differentiate. Even when filtering using the left hand options, lots of the same suburbs would come up a lot.

I've heard in a few places similar to what most people have been commenting though about avoiding the north and the west / inner south being best for somewhere near to the city with decent public transport links. 

We have some friends in Adelaide around our age (early - mid 30s) so will ask them what they recommend and will post back when I hear.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, JonandSophietravel said:

We have some friends in Adelaide around our age (early - mid 30s) so will ask them what they recommend and will post back when I hear.

That would be fantastic if you could. I would be grateful.

When I was saying North Adelaide before i meant the suburb rather than the general area. That does seem a nice place. I hadn't heard anyone say the west was to be avoided though.

Edited by JetBlast

1 hour ago, Renault said:
2 hours ago, Jellica said:
https://docs.google.com/spread...f4hheTJQic/edit#gid=1908430159

Just popping this link here .... having to scroll back really far to check it all of a sudden - still nothing happening, emoji2955.png

Link does not open anything..shows an error. What's it about?

I'm guessing it's this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e6B4RJHJVbPbDXBSUh8sLP3WshvdIetq5f4hheTJQic/edit#gid=1908430159

Looks like the link was cut off

• Like 2

I'm no expert but my mum and my cousins all live around the Hallett Cove area which is lovely (and where we're headed)) and has quite a large expat community. Before that they all lived in Aldinga beach which was also lovely and really reasonably priced but was about an hour away from the city.  Both of these areas are to the south of Adelaide city centre.

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I'm no expert but my mum and my cousins all live around the Hallett Cove area which is lovely (and where we're headed)) and has quite a large expat community. Before that they all lived in Aldinga beach which was also lovely and really reasonably priced but was about an hour away from the city.  Both of these areas are to the south of Adelaide city centre.

Cheers Jimbo

I'm looking at sheidow park area, houses look good for the money, shopping centre close, beach not far away and only 20min drive to CBD.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonandSophietravel said:

Welcome, Gurprett 🙂 

What stage of the application are you on?

Hi Jon ,sophie..

We applied for visa on 16th november'18 through an agent...

Our points :75

Occupation(for my husband):261312 Developer programmer...

EOI lodged SA:5th july '18

Invited:15 september

Waited almost for  2 months for scoring more in pte but unfortunately everytime only one mark less from getting 90 in all..

Hence applied for visa on 16th november.

I think CO is assigned for our case in december...No contact from him till now..frontloaded each and every document ...

1 hour ago, Gurpreet ghotra said:

Hi Jon ,sophie..

We applied for visa on 16th november'18 through an agent...

Our points :75

Occupation(for my husband):261312 Developer programmer...

EOI lodged SA:5th july '18

Invited:15 september

Waited almost for  2 months for scoring more in pte but unfortunately everytime only one mark less from getting 90 in all..

Hence applied for visa on 16th november.

I think CO is assigned for our case in december...No contact from him till now..frontloaded each and every document ...

Hi Gurpreet,

Why you delayed for lodgement of visa ?I think once you got invitation your points doesn't matter.You have to provide evidences for claimed points at the time of invitation. If I am wrong please clarify. 

6 hours ago, Lavers said:

Cheers Jimbo

I'm looking at sheidow park area, houses look good for the money, shopping centre close, beach not far away and only 20min drive to CBD.

Yeah exactly, we're the same. Will definitely be around the Hallett Cove, sheidow park area where we end up settling I reckon.

Edited by Jimbo