High Points for 489/190 - South Australia

Hi D32. Welcome :)
Seeing a big lack of 489 Visa Grant's over the last week but quite a few 189s. Hopefully SA will keep the pressure up on the government to prioritise the 489 and it'll pick up again. We wait for our email daily but not expecting anything until March realistically. Could be much later though
Hi

When did you lodge jonandsophie?
I lodged nearly 2 months ago now, not like I'm expecting anything as it says waiting time is 7-8 months atm.
Front loaded everything though, so could be lucky.

Hi

I lodged nearly 2 months ago now, not like I'm expecting anything as it says waiting time is 7-8 months atm.
I front loaded everything and it took me 80 days. Applied in October 18 and granted January 19.

9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

It's been some journey over the last 3 years, plenty of ups and downs. End in sight now tho 😃

Same here, I expected and found many difficulties throughout this almost 2 year process, but we got through them.

I just want to get there now!!! I’m hopeful we will hear something this month because the last CO contact (January) asked my wife to sign a form declaring she would visit a health clinic within a month of arriving in Australia (extra pulmonary TB 10 years ago). My logic says why would they ask for that if they’re not going to grant the visa soon.

Edited by Jonno1981

On 08/02/2019 at 12:11, Renault said:

I read that they were even considering of having the requirement to convert to permanent residence for regional skilled visa to 5 years.

Is it true? That would be horrifying. 

That should be for any future visas from the daye of announcement?
It's only noise, nothing concrete there & I agree with@Mercury, it will only be applicable for visas applied after the announcement date. My consultant told me since we've applied for 489 with the condition of 2 years, 5year rule whenever that may happen won't apply to us.

It's only noise, nothing concrete there & I agree with[mention=273086]Mercury[/mention], it will only be applicable for visas applied after the announcement date. My consultant told me since we've applied for 489 with the condition of 2 years, 5year rule whenever that may happen won't apply to us.
But the change will be to the 887 visa not the 489 visa. This visa we haven't applied for yet.

1 minute ago, Renault said:

It's only noise, nothing concrete there & I agree with@Mercury, it will only be applicable for visas applied after the announcement date. My consultant told me since we've applied for 489 with the condition of 2 years, 5year rule whenever that may happen won't apply to us.

What a relief. 😄

Some sbs article in jan mentioned that govt needs to hv enough funding to support regional migrants with enough employment oppurtunities before they cud mandate 5 yr stay. The above link shows that they are building up infrastructure to impose 5 yr stay for permanat residency of regional visa holders.

3 hours ago, JetBlast said:
3 hours ago, Renault said:
It's only noise, nothing concrete there & I agree with[mention=273086]Mercury[/mention], it will only be applicable for visas applied after the announcement date. My consultant told me since we've applied for 489 with the condition of 2 years, 5year rule whenever that may happen won't apply to us.

But the change will be to the 887 visa not the 489 visa. This visa we haven't applied for yet.

Say they do increase the requirement of the 887 to 5 years, how can the current 489 meet this as it only lasts for 4 years? Surely they’d honour the pre-existing 489’s with the 2 year stipulation for 887?

Edited by Jonno1981
  • Like 1

Earlier when  they wanted to  make changes to  457 work visa , they totally abolished it and brought a new visa in its place with those new changes.existing 457 holders were not affected by those changes. Hopefully if 5 yr rule is mandated for provisional visas in future, they might abolish the existing 489 and bring anotherr xxxx visa which do not impact existing visa holders. But there is news that this change cud bee introduced in 2019-2020

• Like 1

Hi

Hey Leigh.

We lodged mid Dec so coming up to 2 months too. I wouldn't use 7 to 8 as a timescale as 7 is when 75% of applicants get their Visa, so loads will have got theirs well before the 7 month mark.

I keep checking the spreadsheet for current rough timescales and hope for a march or April direct grant.

Just cant wait to land!

2 hours ago, Hi@ma said:

Earlier when  they wanted to  make changes to  457 work visa , they totally abolished it and brought a new visa in its place with those new changes.existing 457 holders were not affected by those changes. Hopefully if 5 yr rule is mandated for provisional visas in future, they might abolish the existing 489 and bring anotherr xxxx visa which do not impact existing visa holders. But there is news that this change cud bee introduced in 2019-2020

In terms of their concern to mitigate the increase of immigrants moving to highly populated cities like Sydney & Melbourne, it does make sense that they wanna tackle the issue with this direct approach (amending the condition of provisional visa holders converting to PR). But if they decide to use a new visa replacing 489 visa for new applicants whenever they had decided, similarly taking the same approach as they have with 457 visa, it does seem like 489 would not be affected as the new condition should be applied to the new visa that comes with a total new package which differs from 489 visa.

I do really hope that their future plans in tackling the uneven spread of population in Australia doesn't affect the existing 489 visa holders or 489 visa holders that are currently in the midst of processing for the visa.   

Edited by Joesline

Hi All,

Firstly what a great thread! especially the tracker with all the dates for the different processes.

We (my wife and 2 kids under 4) are at the start of this process, just getting the information together for a High points 489 Visa for SA moving to Adelaide.  I should have 80 points, hopefully going to submit the Vetassess assessment in the next few weeks.  In relation to this do they ever contact your employers?  I have talked to HR and they will sign the form and not say anything but my directors would not take me leaving very well!  In relation to proving your start date, I have my contact signed in 2013 but can not find any payslips etc from this time, would the contract be sufficient?

Really looking forward to it all, well apart from all the waiting! Looking to ideally move for Christmas this year if everything goes to plan and rent in the Henley or North Brighton area before buying somewhere.  Might over run a little with the wait times as that's only 10 months from now.  But would be ideal with the Aus school term starting in Jan.

Does front loading the Visa application with medicals and police checks help? my fear is if the process takes longer than expected and they expire before we get there.  I would have to sell a house etc once / if the 489 is granted and that could take time.

Is the process, apply for Skills assessment with Vetassess, complete a ielts English test (I need a 8), once back apply for the EOI and state nomination.  Hopefully if that is granted then apply for the 489 within 60 days.  Then the long painful wait!

Hello @OffToOz and welcome.

I have been granted a 489 (love saying that!!). My employer was never contacted by anyone throughout any of the process. However my skills assessment was with the ACS not Vetassess. For my assessment I did need a reference - HR did this for me. 

For my proof of employment I used my references and most recent payslip.

If it makes you feel better its a good time to apply in terms of waiting time. Other people on here such as myself and @Jellica had to wait 12 weeks from South Australia to see if they will sponsor us. 

I have been looking at Henley as well as areas between Henley and the city. North Adelaide also caught my eye - it is a little more expensive there so will need to get a job first if I want to go there.

I front loaded all my documents and received a grant in 80 days. Be careful though as you must enter (can just be a visit) within 12 months of your medical / police check.

You can also do the PTE instead of IELTS.

Best of luck!

Hello [mention=274561]OffToOz[/mention] and welcome.
I have been granted a 489 (love saying that!!). My employer was never contacted by anyone throughout any of the process. However my skills assessment was with the ACS not Vetassess. For my assessment I did need a reference - HR did this for me. 
For my proof of employment I used my references and most recent payslip.
If it makes you feel better its a good time to apply in terms of waiting time. Other people on here such as myself and [mention=264268]Jellica[/mention] had to wait 12 weeks from South Australia to see if they will sponsor us. 
I have been looking at Henley as well as areas between Henley and the city. North Adelaide also caught my eye - it is a little more expensive there so will need to get a job first if I want to go there.
I front loaded all my documents and received a grant in 80 days. Be careful though as you must enter (can just be a visit) within 12 months of your medical / police check.
You can also do the PTE instead of IELTS.
Best of luck!

Welcome too :)

I second PTE. Sophie did IELTS but booked that before we knew about PTE and definitely would have done PTE if had the choice again. Have a look at the comparison threads on here.

We had TRA as our skills assessment, so not sure how different they are. We uploaded 3 payslips per year of employment as per request of our agent but that might have been overdoing it.

Our employers were not contacted but they did have fill in a couple of references. Your HR team will be fine though.

One word of warning: in Feb 2018, SA increased their high points threshold to 85 and again to 90 shortly after due to receiving enough applicants. I'm not saying they definitely will increase the high points above 80 but it might happen and has happened previously so be aware of that for your timescales. They might reduce it back down to 80 in July, like they did this year, but nothing is guaranteed. Saying all that, SA is crying out for people, so I dont expect them to increase high point yet.

Due to the potential of the above, get your language test booked in immediately! You might not pass first time so will have to book a new one and sometimes they are booked up months in advance. Sophie got 2 online tuition sessions and passed her IELTS first time but doesn't think she would have done without the tuition.

Hope this helps and not too gloomy. I hate it when people are overly gloomy on the forums and i usually offer something positive to counteract it.

So to counteract my own comments, you'll be fine. Just make sure you do your research and / or hire a good agent. Moving by December is a very quick turnaround and might not be possible but you never know!

Jon

16 hours ago, OffToOz said:

Hi All,

Firstly what a great thread! especially the tracker with all the dates for the different processes.

We (my wife and 2 kids under 4) are at the start of this process, just getting the information together for a High points 489 Visa for SA moving to Adelaide.  I should have 80 points, hopefully going to submit the Vetassess assessment in the next few weeks.  In relation to this do they ever contact your employers?  I have talked to HR and they will sign the form and not say anything but my directors would not take me leaving very well!  In relation to proving your start date, I have my contact signed in 2013 but can not find any payslips etc from this time, would the contract be sufficient?

Really looking forward to it all, well apart from all the waiting! Looking to ideally move for Christmas this year if everything goes to plan and rent in the Henley or North Brighton area before buying somewhere.  Might over run a little with the wait times as that's only 10 months from now.  But would be ideal with the Aus school term starting in Jan.

Does front loading the Visa application with medicals and police checks help? my fear is if the process takes longer than expected and they expire before we get there.  I would have to sell a house etc once / if the 489 is granted and that could take time.

Is the process, apply for Skills assessment with Vetassess, complete a ielts English test (I need a 8), once back apply for the EOI and state nomination.  Hopefully if that is granted then apply for the 489 within 60 days.  Then the long painful wait!

Hey mate, I got my skill assessment through Vetassess. They contacted my current employer. I provided number of my head chef. They tried his personal number but couldn't get through so they called him on work number. Only asked him couple of questions. Couple of my friends also got verification call at their work place from Vetasses, so be prepared.

Hey mate, I got my skill assessment through Vetassess. They contacted my current employer. I provided number of my head chef. They tried his personal number but couldn't get through so they called him on work number. Only asked him couple of questions. Couple of my friends also got verification call at their work place from Vetasses, so be prepared.
Agree. I got my assessment done via Vetassess. They contacted my references via email with certain sets of questions, same for both the references on their official email address.
  • Like 1