????

Hi everyone, I am writing this just hoping that someone can offer me/us some advice/glimmer of hope that we still stand a chance of moving to WA now that all the new changes have come into force?

I am 41 years old (42 in Oct), I am a qualified adult nurse ?‍⚕️ (qualified in Sept 17), I have a husband who is the same age and is a Plumber (qualified 1 year 6mths). We have 3 children - one has just turned 19 years old (currently in full time education). We have tried to ensure that we meet all catergories but are now concerned about the new points changes from 60-65, as i only make 60 points due to my age and lack of years experience- this is even if i achieve superior in ielts and inc partner skills. I have a sister that has lived in Perth now for 3 years and we was really hoping on migrating there to join them and my sister was more than happy to sponsor us to help increase our points but that option dosent appear to be there  anymore either?

Is anyone able to offer us some advice or know what our options would be as we feel at a loss and that our dream is slipping away.

PLEASE HELP!

Hi

It's just rubbish isn't it!  I'm in the same boat, brother in Perth and want to live nearby, we can only scrape 60 points, I'm hoping our immigration agent will manage to magic some solution, if I think the advice will help you I'll certainly pass it on!

Try not to let it get you too down but I know it's really, really hard.

[emoji22][emoji21]?[emoji112]

Hi everyone, I am writing this just hoping that someone can offer me/us some advice/glimmer of hope that we still stand a chance of moving to WA now that all the new changes have come into force?

I am 41 years old (42 in Oct), I am a qualified adult nurse [emoji68]‍⚕️ (qualified in Sept 17), I have a husband who is the same age and is a Plumber (qualified 1 year 6mths). We have 3 children - one has just turned 19 years old (currently in full time education). We have tried to ensure that we meet all catergories but are now concerned about the new points changes from 60-65, as i only make 60 points due to my age and lack of years experience- this is even if i achieve superior in ielts and inc partner skills. I have a sister that has lived in Perth now for 3 years and we was really hoping on migrating there to join them and my sister was more than happy to sponsor us to help increase our points but that option dosent appear to be there  anymore either?

Is anyone able to offer us some advice or know what our options would be as we feel at a loss and that our dream is slipping away.

PLEASE HELP!

Have you looked at the 489 visa?

If you get state sponsorship they will give you 10 points.

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 08:46, CVS said:

Hi

It's just rubbish isn't it!  I'm in the same boat, brother in Perth and want to live nearby, we can only scrape 60 points, I'm hoping our immigration agent will manage to magic some solution, if I think the advice will help you I'll certainly pass it on!

Try not to let it get you too down but I know it's really, really hard.

Hi thanku, yes it's a bitter pill to swallow as we have been planning this for years and was just waiting for me to have enough post qualified experience to start the process...which we were about to do but doesn't appear possible anymore with the new changes. We are on a very tight time scale with our daughters age too as she will no longer be eligible to come on our visa once she turns 20. We had literally done all we could to ensure we have as good a chance as possible but it all now looks very bleak.

I feel for you too, its very difficult when you want to be with family. I hope you achieve your dream and can be with your brother one day too.

I am also going to contact some migration agents for advice but am a bit dubious as its all more expense and am also worried about being given false hope and loosing any money invested in them as you read some scare stories. Do you mind me asking who you are using or if you have any migration agent recommendations as we don't know where to start with them?

If I find out anything that could be helpful for you I too will pass it on,

Good luck ?

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 09:03, JetBlast said:

Have you looked at the 489 visa?

If you get state sponsorship they will give you 10 points.

Hi thanks for your advice. Yes we have looked at many visas but if I am correct the 489 is not applicable to Perth as WA dont offer state sponsorship?

We were hoping that my sister could sponsor us to bump up my points but that doesn't appear to be an option anymore either?

9 hours ago, Dean Linz 5 said:

Hi thanks for your advice. Yes we have looked at many visas but if I am correct the 489 is not applicable to Perth as WA dont offer state sponsorship?

We were hoping that my sister could sponsor us to bump up my points but that doesn't appear to be an option anymore either?

Is it worth considering other states and then moving to WA once you've served your time elsewhere? At least you'd get to Australia in the first instance? 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:08, Dean Linz 5 said:

????

I am 41 years old (42 in Oct), I am a qualified adult nurse ?‍⚕️ (qualified in Sept 17), I have a husband who is the same age and is a Plumber (qualified 1 year 6mths). We have 3 children - one has just turned 19 years old (currently in full time education). We have tried to ensure that we meet all catergories but are now concerned about the new points changes from 60-65, as i only make 60 points due to my age and lack of years experience- this is even if i achieve superior in ielts and inc partner skills. I have a sister that has lived in Perth now for 3 years and we was really hoping on migrating there to join them and my sister was more than happy to sponsor us to help increase our points but that option dosent appear to be there  anymore either?

PLEASE HELP!

Hi

We've just spoken to our immigration agent and it looks like the subclass 186 is the only option ie getting a sponsored job offer... as a nurse I'd have thought they'd be fighting over you!  You need to get a min 2 year contract and then you can get a permanent visa...

Unfortunately family sponsorship is now 80 points and the sponsorship bit only gets you 10 points so you'd have to start with 70...

Best of luck to you! 

On 25/07/2018 at 14:42, CVS said:

Hi

We've just spoken to our immigration agent and it looks like the subclass 186 is the only option ie getting a sponsored job offer... as a nurse I'd have thought they'd be fighting over you!  You need to get a min 2 year contract and then you can get a permanent visa...

Unfortunately family sponsorship is now 80 points and the sponsorship bit only gets you 10 points so you'd have to start with 70...

Best of luck to you! 

Just to clarify - you can't apply directly for a 186 visa.  It's only available to someone who's already in Australia on a temporary visa.  

What you'd need to do is find an employer to sponsor you on a TSS visa, which is a temporary visa.  Once you've been working for that employer for three years, you can apply for a 186 visa BUT be warned - a lot of people talk about "transitioning" to a 186 visa as if it's guaranteed, and it's not, not by a long shot.  People do get refused.  Also, the rules change all the time - we've had many families on these forums who worked their three years, only to find they were no longer eligible to apply when the time came.  So they ended up back where they started in the UK, only worse off, having spent all their savings.

It's a stressful path to choose so you need to decide how desperate you are to move to Australia.  If you don't stay with the same employer for three years, you can't apply for the 186.  Employers know that, and unscrupulous employers sometimes take advantage - things like expecting longer hours, not giving pay rises or bonuses, not approving leave etc.  So don't just grab any offer, make sure you're comfortable with the company.  

Edited by Marisawright

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Just to clarify - you can't apply directly for a 186 visa.  It's only available to someone who's already in Australia on a temporary visa.  

This is only partially true - there are three streams to the 186:

- Temporary Residence Transition (TRT); Direct Entry; Labour Agreement

The TRT stream is for people already on 457/482 visas, whereas the Direct Entry stream is exactly what it says. From the DHA website: 

"Direct Entry (DE) stream: If you do not meet the requirements under the TRT stream (for example, because you have never, or only briefly worked in Australia), this stream may then be available if your employer still wishes to sponsor you for permanent residence."

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/186-

Edited by paulhand
typo