70 points is not enough!!

Kriss

Hi all, I know the new points minimum is 65 points. However, recent rounds have shown nobody is getting an EOI on less than 75 points. If the first round from july carries on taking 75 pointers or upwards then as I understand it anybody on less than 75 points needs to get more points somehow or the dream is over, as why would they lower the goalposts further through the year? I genuinely hope I am wrong, but is my dream over on 70 points for a 189 visa? Anyone with good evidence to say otherwise would be great to hear!

Edited by Kriss

3 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

The points requirements reset (to some extent) on July 1. So, from this week, people with less than 75 should start getting invites. It will then rise again through the year

VERYSTORMY thanks for your reply. I just can't seem to find any strong evidence that shows 70 pointers have a chance now, looking into political issues and the tightening of immigration levels in Oz, again this is just my opinion and I hope I am proven wrong. 

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

The points requirements reset (to some extent) on July 1. So, from this week, people with less than 75 should start getting invites. It will then rise again through the year

Sorry to hijack. Would this apply to the 489 visas as well please?

For 189: This depends on what Occupation code you are applying under. Some of them like Accountant, 70 wont be enough, but the non pro rata occupations 70 could still be enough, although with a wait time of around 6 months+

Not sure about 489.

Edited by lothar

3 hours ago, Kriss said:

VERYSTORMY thanks for your reply. I just can't seem to find any strong evidence that shows 70 pointers have a chance now, looking into political issues and the tightening of immigration levels in Oz, again this is just my opinion and I hope I am proven wrong. 

This happens every year. The points required go up and then come back down on July 1, though this year they may not fall to 65

1 minute ago, VERYSTORMY said:

No, 489 and 190 can and should still get invitations on 65 points

Thanks. I have 70 points and 75 in December. Just need South Australia to reduce the points requirement from 90!

Edited by JetBlast

1 hour ago, lothar said:

For 189: This depends on what Occupation code you are applying under. Some of them like Accountant, 70 wont be enough, but the non pro rata occupations 70 could still be enough, although with a wait time of around 6 months+

Not sure about 489.

Hi, my application is non pro rata. Fingers crossed that is the case for myself and I’m sure many others on here who have their life in limbo waiting.

I'm a sheet metal fabricator with 50points, just sat my ielts so hoping for the extra 20 to put me on 70 points. When I spoke with an agent they said there isn't many applying under that job role so should be an easy passage.

Hope it works out for you and good luck with the ielts. My personal experience with the ielts was I failed it 4 times in getting an 8 in writing. Twice I even managed to achieve a 9 in all the other bands but always a 7 in writing, bearing in mind the writing test is the only one that is marked by a human! So is very much down to their discretion. If you struggle with ielts I would definitely recommended PTE which is all computer based and marked fairly by a computer which I passed on the third attempt with top marks, something I never felt possible with ielts. 

My understanding is that for the past few months there have only been 600 invites per month for the 189 visa which has meant only 75 points getting the invite recently. Most are estimating that the invites will go up to about 1000 or 1200 per month now that the new financial year has started. That should see people with less than 75 getting the invite but still a bit of a wait. 

My migration agent had said that it doesn’t matter about your job for the 189 (except for pro rata jobs) - it all comes down to points and those with the higher points get called. 

27 minutes ago, patrickc said:

My understanding is that for the past few months there have only been 600 invites per month for the 189 visa which has meant only 75 points getting the invite recently. Most are estimating that the invites will go up to about 1000 or 1200 per month now that the new financial year has started. That should see people with less than 75 getting the invite but still a bit of a wait. 

My migration agent had said that it doesn’t matter about your job for the 189 (except for pro rata jobs) - it all comes down to points and those with the higher points get called. 

Hi yes the job position is irrelevant, the main thing that concerns me is if the amount of applicatants on 75 increases then they will still be ahead of 70 pointers meaning it may never get granted for 70 pointers. I have a migration agent aswell, I think they are all saying the same thing. However, people on here are saying that this has happened before i.e, the points fluctuating throughout the year, but my research shows not to this extent and definitely never in the last 5 years has EOI point minimum been so high. This leaves me to predict that 75 points is the new base minimum for EOI non pro rata applications and unfortunately nobody has given me any factual evidence to suggest otherwise!! 

Edited by Kriss

4 minutes ago, Kriss said:

Hi yes the job position is irrelevant, the main thing that concerns me is if the amount of applicatants on 75 increases then they will still be ahead of 70 pointers meaning it may never get granted for 70 pointers. I have a migration agent aswell, I think they are all saying the same thing. However, people on here are saying that this has happened before i.e, the points fluctuating throughout the year, but my research shows not to this extent and definitely never in the last 5 years has EOI point minimum been so high. This leaves me to predict that 75 points is the new base minimum for EOI non pro rata applications and unfortunately nobody has given me any factual evidence to suggest otherwise!! 

You can view minimum points for invitation rounds going back about 2 or 3 years on skillselect site.

We're all in the same boat, I'm also waiting for the points to drop by 5 so I can get an invite. Not everyone has 75 or 80 points. 70 points will probably the minimum requirement for an invite for most (depending on occupation).

Yes, the points were very high the last few months. We can't say what the minimum points will be for the next round, but one thing you can be sure of is that they'll certainly be lower than they were in the last few months - as points always reset in July. For my occupation, the points need to drop to 70 before I'll get an invite, and as they're currently on 75 they will most certainly drop again - if not now then in a month or 2 - refer to skillselect site.

No need to stress about it - sit back and wait. The points will come down again.

7 minutes ago, happyisland said:

You can view minimum points for invitation rounds going back about 2 or 3 years on skillselect site.

We're all in the same boat, I'm also waiting for the points to drop by 5 so I can get an invite. Not everyone has 75 or 80 points. 70 points will probably the minimum requirement for an invite for most (depending on occupation).

Yes, the points were very high the last few months. We can't say what the minimum points will be for the next round, but one thing you can be sure of is that they'll certainly be lower than they were in the last few months - as points always reset in July. For my occupation, the points need to drop to 70 before I'll get an invite, and as they're currently on 75 they will most certainly drop again - if not now then in a month or 2 - refer to skillselect site.

No need to stress about it - sit back and wait. The points will come down again.

Yeh you are right, maybe I am just being pessimistic. Just find it difficult to believe a country that for political reasons needs to show to the public a tighter control on immigration would start making things any easier, 2017-18 average was 70 points, 2018-19 70 points again, can't see it. 

4 hours ago, Lavers said:

It just seems odd that it doesnt matter what your job is.

If you top office jobs always being excepted because off the points, how do you fill the engineering jobs etc that can't match them points?

Its my understanding that the job is taken into account when you apply for a 190 visa so I have applied for both types.

5 hours ago, Kriss said:

Yeh you are right, maybe I am just being pessimistic. Just find it difficult to believe a country that for political reasons needs to show to the public a tighter control on immigration would start making things any easier, 2017-18 average was 70 points, 2018-19 70 points again, can't see it. 

From what I can see online - it looks like they are going to be offering about 15000 - 189 visas again this year. People did get invites last year on 70 points even when invite rounds dropped to 600 so I am hopeful that I will get an invite but I have also put in for the 190 just in case. It will largely depend if they do invites evenly spaced across the year or large batches. I have read quite a few people now moving to the 489 visa as well to try their luck with that one